Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Engine: 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 (L83)
OCI mileage: 7,219 miles (158 hours)
OCI length: About 3 months
OLM: 5%
Oil: Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 (8 quarts)
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra XG10575
Make up oil: none
Driving conditions: 80/20 (Highway/City) with some occasional light trailering.

My thoughts: Aluminum came back down to normal which was good to see. Who knows what caused that spike in the previous UOA (cold winter starts)? This is the first UOA I have had on this vehicle where Blackstone noted fuel (pretty low at 0.8% though). It's also the first time I changed the oil and took a sample cold so maybe that had something to do with it. Next time I'll take it hot and see if that makes any difference. Overall things are looking fine and I'm glad to see no major fuel issues with this DI engine.

The previous oil seems to have some degree of fuel contamination, as does the present. I would try a can of a good major brand fuel additive that is designed to clear gum from the injectors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
That iron scares me a bit, my 2005 5.3 runs about half the ppm with almost double the miles per oci.

Totally different engine from your 5.3 of 10 years ago. OP is in ND, you're in CA - another factor. 25ppm FE in a SBC over 7,000 miles (with a little towing) is nothing.

I don't see much of a difference in the AFE vs the EP here?? Am I missing something?? Both seem to perform equally well in this engine. I was all set on 0W-20 EP for our 4Runner, now I think I could save a few bucks and go with the AFE!

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
That iron scares me a bit, my 2005 5.3 runs about half the ppm with almost double the miles per oci.

Totally different engine from your 5.3 of 10 years ago. OP is in ND, you're in CA - another factor. 25ppm FE in a SBC over 7,000 miles (with a little towing) is nothing.

Also mine holds 2qts less in the sump, is driven in 110 degree weather, gets regular 4x4 mountain use in dust and extended idling. I do agree, not the same engine or operating conditions, but I still like to compare.

I'd give AFE 0W30, PP 5W30, or PU 5W30 a try and compare it to the 20 grade oil, for the sake of curiosity and to see if anything changes.

Is GMC Sierra 5.3 a shearing machine? or it's because of fuel dilution ?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back