94' Chevy K2500 Bad Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This is on my brother's truck, 94' Silverado K2500 4x4 4L60e. He bought it last year non-running, and just got it running. The previous owner bought a transmission rebuild kit and torque converter and installed it himself. Now that it's running, reverse doesn't work and it seems 1st doesn't either. It seems like it's starting off in 2nd gear.

Sounds like he's gonna have to replace the transmission, but I figured it was worth it to see if there was anything we can do? Fluid is topped off.

Does it stall against the Converter in Reverse? Meaning it doesn't freewheel...

Taking off in 2nd & a Locked down Reverse is 1 of 2 things...
A Long Valve Body Bolt was installed in the wrong location & the Sun Shell is Locked Down.

The 2-4 Band is applied all the time, Locking the Reverse Input Drum down therefore Locking the Sun Shell down. This can be from the 4th Apply Servo being installed backwards, 2-4 Band Apply Pin too long.

Leaving the Center Support Snap Ring out will allow the Center Support to run into the Sun Shell in Reverse....Again locking it down.....But wouldn't cause a 2nd gear start.

I'm guessing this is a 2500 Light Duty with 6 Lug axles???

I'll post some pictures of the Valve Body Bolt locations if needed?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Does it stall against the Converter in Reverse? Meaning it doesn't freewheel...

Taking off in 2nd & a Locked down Reverse is 1 of 2 things...
A Long Valve Body Bolt was installed in the wrong location & the Sun Shell is Locked Down.

The 2-4 Band is applied all the time, Locking the Reverse Input Drum down therefore Locking the Sun Shell down. This can be from the 4th Apply Servo being installed backwards, 2-4 Band Apply Pin too long.

Leaving the Center Support Snap Ring out will allow the Center Support to run into the Sun Shell in Reverse....Again locking it down.....But wouldn't cause a 2nd gear start.

I'm guessing this is a 2500 Light Duty with 6 Lug axles???

I'll post some pictures of the Valve Body Bolt locations if needed?
Yes, no freewheeling when in reverse. It won't budge. It also makes a whining noise in reverse. Yes it is a 6 lug 2500.

A picture would be great. How hard is it to do?

Thanks for the pic!

Also when shifting manually down into "1" that is also Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back