TPMS Sensors 2009 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to do these. DIY then have a dealer do them or a tire shop. These can be bought on Amazon for $25/each. The dealer wants $70 each and $70 to program each. Anyone ever DIY and then just get reprogrammed? Do you need to re-balance the tire?

I know from my experience that some auto brands have proprietary TPMS sensors. For instance, a TPMS sensor made be Shrader or one sold by NAPA will not program on my Infiniti. I have no choice but to get ripped by the dealer. So be wary of buying one on Amazon and expecting a tire shop or dealer to do the programming.

How about Discount Tire? I'd bring it there or call them first to see what they say. Maybe not on a busy Saturday when they're trying to sell tons of tires. Midweek in the afternoon while they're watching the clock waiting to go home and trying to look busy.

Good luck with whatever you do with this. I really believe this is nothing more than a way to force people into a dealership to have work done. Ohh by the way you need X, y, and Z done too. I asked a Nissan dealership service person for an estimate to have my spark plugs replaced. Well this world champion service lady asked me about having my valve cover gaskets replaced while having my spark plugs replaced. I told her no I didn't need that done. She got a bit of an attitude asking me, "are you sure"? I stayed polite but I wanted to inform this champion that unlike say 2/3 of the people who come in here I actually know what a valve cover is. And that it was totally unnecessary to perform. It would've been an extra $200 for them to pocket.

Again, I hope you can get it all straightened out in a good way for yourself in the most cost effective way possible.

I ignore mine. I'll be darned if I am going to pay $100-150 for sensors for my tires. Not happening. I have a great digital tire pressure gauge that works just fine. I inspect my tires quite often anyhow. I have driven probably a half million miles without a TPMS. So, I lived without it that long. I can do so without it going forward.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How about Discount Tire? I'd bring it there or call them first to see what they say. Maybe not on a busy Saturday when they're trying to sell tons of tires. Midweek in the afternoon while they're watching the clock waiting to go home and trying to look busy.

I did and they have all the sensors and tool to program them. They quoted me $60 per wheel installed OTD. So I will go there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I did and they have all the sensors and tool to program them. They quoted me $60 per wheel installed OTD. So I will go there. Thanks for the suggestion.

This high cost is why I hate TPMS. The cost of Kumho Solus TA71 205/60-16 installed on Volvo V70 last Memorial Day was $195 OTD after 3 rebates: 2 rebates with DT, one for the tire and the other for using their CC, the third rebate was from Kumho.

The tire itself costed me $50 installed, but the TPMS alone is $60 is unbelievable.

My cars don't have TPMS and I didn't have any problem for so many years, now all new cars come with it as standard equipment.

I have 4 female drivers....TPMS is a must have item.
thumbsup2.gif

I really don't understand why many cars have the TPMS sensors in the wheel. Many cars have it work off the ABS sensors. Unless there is a read out of the individual tire pressures, like some high performance cars, the ABS system seems much less expensive and troublesome.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
I really don't understand why many cars have the TPMS sensors in the wheel. Many cars have it work off the ABS sensors. Unless there is a read out of the individual tire pressures, like some high performance cars, the ABS system seems much less expensive and troublesome.

Back then, the ones you describe weren't accurate enough to satisfy the law, but since then some newer cars do have the less expensive sensors, such as the 2013+ Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back