Coolant in 2015 Ford diesel pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
What seems ridiculous to me is for Ford to pick a gasoline-engine ELC for its diesel and then pretty much toss the whole concept of an ELC by turning on a "check coolant" light every 10-15k miles and requiring the use of an SCA with it

Please link us to anything official from Ford (not ridiculous forum banter/gossip) stipulating the requirement of SCA/revitalizer every 10k-15k.

Hint - Ford is in CYA mode; mandating check every 15k/600 hours is vastly different than what you're saying.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What seems ridiculous to me is for Ford to pick a gasoline-engine ELC for its diesel and then pretty much toss the whole concept of an ELC by turning on a "check coolant" light every 10-15k miles and requiring the use of an SCA with it

Please link us to anything official from Ford (not ridiculous forum banter/gossip) stipulating the requirement of SCA/revitalizer every 10k-15k.

Hint - Ford is in CYA mode; mandating a nitrite strength check every 15k/600 hours is vastly different than what you're saying.

You may or may not need to add an SCA at each triggered check, but it sure looks to me like you have to add an initial dose of SCA to the Motorcraft Orange coolant whenever you change it and if it fails the check. At least that's the strong implication on the product page. Again, all I'm saying is that all this seems like a huge gyration for a consumer-grade diesel with parent-metal bores and otherwise low maintenance. If you can give me any engineering reason they did it this way (CYA is not engineering), I'd honestly like to know. They are competing in a segment where "doesn't require any more maintenance than a gasser" is a strong selling point.

You keep moving the goalposts. We're now on to your perception of maintenance, and there's no sense on going there.

SCA/revitalizer/corrosion inhibitor (whatever you'd like to call it) isn't mandated at any interval, nor is it added at a change. Again, Ford is merely mandating a check every 15k/600hrs. out of an abundance of caution. This isn't a difficult task to accomplish, nor any different than checking your oil, tire pressure, etc...just a part of good upkeep.

G-05 is fine stuff; it's just that coolants have come a long way since the Berlin Wall fell, and there are simply better choices nowadays.

You keep moving the goalposts. We're now on to your perception of maintenance, and there's no sense on going there.

No, I'm NOT "moving the goalposts." You just finally understand my initial statement. It seems like an artificially created maintenance headache for owners, all because of the tarnished image G-05 caused not by the coolant but by a flawed cooler design.

G-05 is fine stuff; it's just that coolants have come a long way since the Berlin Wall fell, and there are simply better choices nowadays.

You keep saying there are "better" choices. Better how? In what engineering sense are they better? Again, I have no beef with appropriately used coolant of any type or chemistry, and I can clearly see that OATs are better where nitrites and silicates aren't needed... but specifically how is Motorcraft Orange "better" than Gold in a diesel application? I'm not presuming that Gold is better and asking a snarky question here, I'm genuinely asking the question, what makes Orange preferable for the 6.7.

You keep saying there are "better" choices. Better how? In what engineering sense are they better? Again, I have no beef with appropriately used coolant of any type or chemistry, and I can clearly see that OATs are better where nitrites and silicates aren't needed... but specifically how is Motorcraft Orange "better" than Gold in a diesel application? I'm not presuming that Gold is better and asking a snarky question here, I'm genuinely asking the question, what makes Orange preferable for the 6.7.

Why do you care so much if you don't own one and aren't looking to buy one? Not even the owners are as obsessed over it as you appear to be. Take a deep breath, chill out and take a swim or something. Maybe take a long walk and expel some of that stress.

Hey, he wants accuracy. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually I like the question. Let's just be quiet and see how well it is answered, eh?

No, I'm NOT "moving the goalposts."

First, it was you didn't understand why Ford made the switch. Then, it was that ELC was no better, and would just fail in a different way. Next, it was fear-mongering about gaskets, G-05 worked in a 80's Benz, and that ELC required SCA every 10k. Finally, it wasn't discussing any factual information, just your opinion that checking SCA is a "maintenance headache".

I'm genuinely asking the question, what makes Orange preferable for the 6.7.

-Longest service intervals with OAT inhibitors
-No SCA's needed
-Better heat transfer
-Reduced dropout/scaling
-Longer water pump life

Here's a good answer...
I can clearly see that OATs are better where nitrites and silicates aren't needed

Remember, this thread is about a 6.7 Powerstroke, and all of my answers are in the context of such; in the context of a 6.7L Powerstroke, G-05 is old news, and OAT ELC is a superior choice.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Why do you care so much if you don't own one and aren't looking to buy one? Not even the owners are as obsessed over it as you appear to be. Take a deep breath, chill out and take a swim or something. Maybe take a long walk and expel some of that stress.

So, engineering curiosity is something you interpret as "obsession' or "stress?" I pity that attitude. Sorry, but I'm not an "I turn the key and it goes" kinda guy- about ANY topic. I know a lot of stuff about vehicles I never have owned and never will. Because its fun. Its enlightening. Seeing why one manufacturer does something one way helps understand the strength or weakness of another manufacturer doing something a different way. Plain and simple, its being aware of the world around yourself.

-Longest service intervals with OAT inhibitors

Very true... IN OTHER APPLICATIONS. However it was pointed out that there was little change in the recommended interval for the Ford 6.7 vs the Ford 6.4 with the "old" coolant. In fact, ooking at page 2 of this info sheet actually indicates that some of the intervals are shorter for MCOrange/6.7 than MCGold/6.4, Granted, the differences are trivial (5000 miles) under normal usage, but the severe usage schedule for the 6.7 with MCO is 45k miles, vs 60k miles for the 6.4/MCG. Please understand, THIS is exactly where my initial confusion comes from- Ford is recommending pretty much the opposite of what I'd expect, here.

-No SCA's needed

But they're needed with EITHER choice (oh, except when they are needed if a coolant test is failed). So that's wash as far as this application goes.
-Better heat transfer

OK, that's the kind of thing I was looking for (finally). I would love to know any specifics on why the heat transfer is better with an OAT vs a HOAT. I only ask because the bulk coolant is still water and glycol in both cases, so whatever difference there is has to be pretty specific to the chemistry at the coolant boundary. What's reducing heat transfer in a silicate/nitrite additive package compared to an ELC, when in fact the nitrites increase the effective thermal transfer by preventing steam pockets and microbubbles at the coolant/metal surface? Does the silicate component negate the advantage of the nitrite? Presumably ELCs have a similar mechanism, and maybe even better... so my curiosity now wants to know HOW the ELC mechanism works.

-Reduced dropout/scaling

If the 6.7 design is going to go ahead and continue to overheat the coolant the way the 6.0/6.4 EGR coolers did, then I unconditionally agree that it is true that a non-silicated coolant has at least a slightly better margin against precipitation during that kind of abuse... but it wouldn't make me comfortable to think that they're still doing that to the coolant. And *that's* why I posted the 200k mile picture you dismissed as irrelevant before- as proof that there is not any dropout or scaling with G-05 EXCEPT when a design flaw abuses the coolant. Heck, that was even true of IAT coolants, but you did have to change them more often. No matter what the coolant, you have to operate it within accepted engineering bounds, and that was the failure of the old-design Ford EGR coolers.

-Longer water pump life

Also a likely factor, but I've had trouble verifying this beyond people on the internet saying so. Back in the IAT days, the silicate additives were actually touted as being water-pump *lubricants* (which they were, until they degraded), but today people seem to equate "contains silicon compounds" with "abrasive." and that isn't true- it depends on the compound, not just the presence of silicate groups in a molecule.

And you left off "lower cost" and "expected tightening of environmental regulations" that might affect coolant manufacturing and disposal. Those may matter more than anything else, honestly.

Thanks for the answers, and obviously I don't entirely agree with all of them. But I do appreciate something more concrete than "new is better."

so my curiosity now wants to know HOW the ELC mechanism works

"The difference between ELC coolants and fully formulated is that ELC lays down no additive film on engine surfaces—what mechanical engineers call a “fouling factor.” Even these thin additive films can be significant in impeding heat transfer. As the engine ages, the fouling factor increases with conventional coolants, but not with an ELC system. Dynamic heat-transfer testing published in the literature shows that ELC coolants may provide significantly lower temperatures and greater heat transfer compared to conventional fully formulated coolants. Therefore, we believe heat transfer is significantly better with ELC coolants."

Having a "mixed fleet" of almost 50 vehicles, I absolutely love ELC. I put it in everything when the time comes, and almost never hear a peep out of cooling systems.

I'm using the Rotella Ultra ELC myself.

One item that can't get enough attention is that modern coolant is designed to handle the higher temps seen in current emission equipped diesels. Not only is the EGR system introducing much higher temps, but the engines themselves are running higher temp thermostats.

so my curiosity now wants to know HOW the ELC mechanism works

"The difference between ELC coolants and fully formulated is that ELC lays down no additive film on engine surfaces—what mechanical engineers call a “fouling factor.” Even these thin additive films can be significant in impeding heat transfer. As the engine ages, the fouling factor increases with conventional coolants, but not with an ELC system. Dynamic heat-transfer testing published in the literature shows that ELC coolants may provide significantly lower temperatures and greater heat transfer compared to conventional fully formulated coolants. Therefore, we believe heat transfer is significantly better with ELC coolants."

Best response to a coolant thread ever. Thanks very much.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
So now I wonder if a citric acid flush talked about on here often would remove that layer if you wanted to prep to convert to ELC.

Ford has their special iron cleaner for when you are finished with a 6.0 repair that involves coolant in the oil or vice versa.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
So now I wonder if a citric acid flush talked about on here often would remove that layer if you wanted to prep to convert to ELC.

Ford has their special iron cleaner for when you are finished with a 6.0 repair that involves coolant in the oil or vice versa.

Good ol Restore, Restore+ and VC-9!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back