I am going back to use what I been use in old day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lately I been going through some " change " , I miss old day, I miss what I am driving ( first few cars ), miss what i am using ( brand... )

I miss my first 98 Mustang GT, so I gone out and found one and bought it ( its take couple month, but I finally found 1 ).

My question is any of these thing I list , still a very good top notch oils

Castrol GTX , My dad was using this in his old day, then I was using it on my first car and many cars after that, I remember the bottle name " castrol GTX drive hard " , and castrol GTX high miles..

Then It went up price and I read some where here that they change the formular, and its not good as it use to be. Since 2009, I stop using it, and start use what ever cheap or on sale, or what ever peoples here told me to use. now im thinking going back " dead set " on castrol GTX or High miles. Its still good oil ? I remember one guy ask me " is your engine running ? ", castrol GTX made my engine so quiet. Anyway I know the price is still high, but that is fine now. My financial is solid.

Armor all product, its was my favorite brand, I stop using it many years ago, since some one say, it can dry out my interior and made it crack lol.

What is top notch quality Dino and High miles oil now ? Price is not concern. My most favorite dino oil right now is QSGB. I like the defy, but I heard it can damage my cat in long run. so I stay away from it.

Last edited:
Use something made in this country, I'm pretty sure Castrol is a foreign company. Pennzoil is American comes straight from Pennsylvania. Support our economy here, not Europes.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Use something made in this country, I'm pretty sure Castrol is a foreign company. Pennzoil is American comes straight from Pennsylvania. Support our economy here, not Europes.
Pennzoil is owned by Shell, a Dutch company. Their oil supply is whatever Shell wants it to be.

We sell oil in Europe, they sell oil here - makes no difference ... Witness CapriDriver using Valvoline
smile.gif

You wanna run GTX, run GTX. Nothing wrong with it.

You wanna run what the "committee" says to do, that's fine too ...

How many miles on your new baby? Nice car? Any pic's ??

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Pennzoil is owned by Shell, a Dutch company. Their oil supply is whatever Shell wants it to be.

Oh I thought at one point it came from their, ok nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Bp (Castrol) has refineries in Texas? Pennzoil is a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell, last I was told.
So you must mean Valvoline
smile.gif

I would worry more about China, So Korea and Mexico
... too late our big whigs sold us down the tubes.

Shell is not an American Company. If you want an American oil, Mobil would be a safe bet. If you want to split hairs they might import products used in the production of their oils.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Oh I thought at one point it came from their, ok nevermind, I'm an idiot.
Pennzoil and Quakers State at one time were stand alone companies based in the US although Quaker State was careful to say they used Pennsylvania "grade" crude so they wouldn't be accused of misleading folks about their source.

Castrol GTX Should be a perfectly fine oil. Alongside their high mileage. I personally would gravitate toward the Castrol GTX Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We sell oil in Europe, they sell oil here - makes no difference ... Witness CapriDriver using Valvoline
smile.gif

You wanna run GTX, run GTX. Nothing wrong with it.

You wanna run what the "committee" says to do, that's fine too ...

How many miles on your new baby? Nice car? Any pic's ??

I'm not using Valvoline YET, gonna stay with Shell in the sump untiul fall and then change it for some VR1

What is this new Castrol GTX Magnatec, first time heard about it. Like I say I do love going back use what I been use before and what my dad using too. I do like know more about this new Castrol GTX line.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
What is this new Castrol GTX Magnatec, first time heard about it. Like I say I do love going back use what I been use before and what my dad using too. I do like know more about this new Castrol GTX line.

Castrol GTX is their conventional (mineral/"dino") offering.
Castrol GTX Magnatec is synthetic blend.
Castrol Edge is synthetic.

It's a 4.6L and those engines tend to last forever although you may have to replace the intake manifold and the cam tensioners can be an issue.

Castrol GTX is a fine conventional. It will work perfectly in either 5W20 (back speced) or 5W30. Since your old school go with the 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
It's a 4.6L and those engines tend to last forever although you may have to replace the intake manifold and the cam tensioners can be an issue.
This, but it's actually the chain guides that can be an issue.

Millions of taxis and municipal cars with that engine have gone millions of miles with whatever lowest-bid oil the town barn buys. Don't obsess over what oil you're using.

Old school is 10w30. I also would want to say. I've tried several weights in my Lincoln with the 4.6 and got The quietest and best gas mileage with 10w30. Regardless of manufacturer. You may want to try it.

Defy will not harm your cat, it is API SN now, just barely flirting with the upper limits of phosphorus which is what damages the cats. Not long ago it was API SL with higher additive content.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Old school is 10w30. I also would want to say. I've tried several weights in my Lincoln with the 4.6 and got The quietest and best gas mileage with 10w30. Regardless of manfacturer. You may want to try it.

Old school as in original recommendation was 5W30 later changed to 5W20.

Not old school as in Staight 30.

Last edited:
Go with GTX 10W30. I definitely understand that feeling of nostalgia and the good ol days:). GTX was the very first oil I ever bought. Then it was Syntec Blend. When we were cleaning out my dad's house I found one of my old quarts of Syntec Blend I'd probably bought when I was in my 20s. I still have it sitting in my house right now along side of some of my parents possessions that have sentimental value to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back