cooling performance between different colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, i was wondering, is there an actual cooling performance difference between the different types of antifreeze available?
examples below:
523770521.jpg

523770511.jpg

523770501.jpg

green and other colours too etc?

Last edited:
its the additives.mainly the inhibitors.
color is for identification.
since they are almost all ethylene glycol or propalene glycol and are meant to be run 50/50 the performance should be identical.

Last edited:
AF color is a very unreliable indicator of AF type and chemistry now. Honestly beyond the color difference I can't tell anything about the chemistry differences in those AF's. One, the purple does say G13 which appears to be used in VW/Audi vehicles. And they are all premixes.

Beyond that, without more information from the manufacturer, impossible to tell the chemistry and intended applications.

Based on the pictures:

Top picture: VW spec G13

Middle Picture: Extended life coolant

Bottom Picture: normal life coolant

Next time you purchase coolant choose the one that best matches the color of your vehicle.

The colors of coolants can be blended to get close as possible to the vehicles color.

If a colour is not available use plain water as this colour is neutral and will not offend.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Blue will cool the best...
whistle.gif

blue is also the cheapest out of all the others around here.

There's a difference:
full-60196-261-screenshot_from_2016_07_13_165022.png

For someone who wants to reply with a factual answer...

Violet - G13/E
Pink - G12/SF
Blue - G11/NF

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Blue will cool the best...
whistle.gif

blue is also the cheapest out of all the others around here.

That makes sense based on the pictures in the OP. It's a normal life coolant, not an extended life coolant.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
There's a difference:
full-60196-261-screenshot_from_2016_07_13_165022.png

For someone who wants to reply with a factual answer...

Violet - G13/E
Pink - G12/SF
Blue - G11/NF

So going from a traditional "green" to a HOAT based Coolant should net me some benefits?

For example for the cars in my Sig?

im using the blue coolant pictured in the original post specs are:
TRIPLE QX Blue Ready Mixed Antifreeze/Coolant 5Ltr
Ready Mix Ethylene Glycol based Antifreeze with Winter Protection up to -36 C upon dilution•Blue Ready Mixed Antifreeze/Coolant - 5ltr
•Suitable for all engine types including aluminium, and conforms to British Standards BS6580 (2010) and ASTM D 3306 & ASTM D 4985, SAE J 1034, AFNOR NF R 15601.
•It can be left in the system as a coolant and rust inhibitor for up to a maximum of 2 years in accordance with vehicle manufacturers requirements

I was told I can only use this blue coolant because the engine I have uses a iron block mated to an aluminium head. (1995 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec 16valve)

would I be able to switch to the pink stuff and gain bit extra cooling power or will there be issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back