Fram Tough Filter & Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just got a 2010 Ford Mustang GT with the 4.6 engine and 44K miles. I went to Wally Mart and got a Fram Tough Guard oil filter (silver can) and some Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil in 5W-20 (this weight is what Ford recommends). Is this a good combination and is this filter good? What's everybody running in their Ford modular? How long can I go on an oil change? I'm planning on 5-6K miles. I tried a search and just got frustrated as I couldn't find anything. Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to the world of Ford, but it seems like they should use at least 5W-30 in a high performance car. I haven't owned a Ford in almost 30 years.

I would say that you should follow owner manual oci. MY 2011 focus is 6,500 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. I am using a FU 3614 now for the 2nd oci and possible 3rd oci. cant go wrong with tough guard or fram ultra

That Motorcraft oil should be like mother's milk to your Ford.

But I don't believe the block would seize up if you went up to a 5W-30 though.

My Wallyworld sells Motorcraft filters also. But that FRAM should work just fine too.

5-6 K is fine. The TG filter is rated for 10K
I'd go 6K and not worry about it after you keep an eye on it cause its new to you.

My modular 5.4 takes a 3000 oci of PYB5w20. Lots of short trips out to town.

It either gets a Motorcraft FL-820s or Fram TG...... whichever we feel like that day.

Motorcraft oil is good stuff.

I wouldn't change anything you are doing. You should have no trouble at all getting 5-6k oci.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My wife just got a 2010 Ford Mustang GT with the 4.6 engine and 44K miles. I went to Wally Mart and got a Fram Tough Guard oil filter (silver can) and some Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil in 5W-20 (this weight is what Ford recommends). Is this a good combination and is this filter good?

I'm sure it's fine, but why would you ask after you bought the oil and filter, instead of before?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My wife just got a 2010 Ford Mustang GT with the 4.6 engine and 44K miles. I went to Wally Mart and got a Fram Tough Guard oil filter (silver can) and some Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil in 5W-20 (this weight is what Ford recommends). Is this a good combination and is this filter good?

I'm sure it's fine, but why would you ask after you bought the oil and filter, instead of before?

Good question.

The TG is ok, but the Ultra is better. Walmart also sells Motorcraft.

For a cheap filter, use the Supertech, which is made by Wix. If you want a premium filter, use the Ultra
smile.gif

I got good deals on the CQ Blue, but now that CQ production went to Puro, I would go Fram TG or Ultra. Not sure if there's been any FL-820S tears, but I personally would avoid Purolator made ones.

Last edited:
Oil - MC SemiSyn 5W20 is a good oil and will do the job, a good synthetic IMO would even be better.
Filter: If you are hung up on using Fram go with the Ultra, otherwise the MC Filter of course is a great option.

For reference, On my Ford F150 5.0 I use PP 5W20 and MC FL500S filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back