Hood liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hood liner (fiberglass mat?) on my 2008 Honda Accord has developed a tear which is about 4" long. I am looking for suggestions on how to make a nice solid repair that will last. Thanks in advance.

It might not look that great (but it's under the hood) but aluminum HVAC (repair) tape ought to do it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It might not look that great (but it's under the hood) but aluminum HVAC (repair) tape ought to do it.

Thats what I was trying to think of! I was thinking aluminium tape but couldn't remember what it was called.

Replacing it is an option.
But, I always just remove it.

Is the tear causing it to sag, etc? If it's not effecting the stability of it, I'd leave it on an 8yr old Accord.

I believe the liner helps keep the hoods paint intact.

Tape won't stick to fiberglass because the fiberglass shreds apart.

You may just need to glue (silicone rubber) a "disc and stick" style keeper onto the metal of the hoods underside and use something like a fender washer to retain the sides of the rip.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Thats what I was trying to think of! I was thinking aluminium tape but couldn't remember what it was called.

My 89 Accord didn't come with the stuff. The underhood temperature in that car was intense. The paint never suffered. You could try Dynamat or some other self adhesive insulation product, but I think a piece or two of that HVAC tape will do the trick. You can find it in the aisle where the A/C duct parts are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
You can get a brand new replacement from Honda for around $80.

Yes I checked that out. With shipping it will be around 100 bucks for the liner and a few more bucks for any retainers holding it to the hood that might get buggered up when removing it. I'm trying to go the economical route. If I don't like the results I'll probably replace it. Maybe a junkyard first.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is the tear causing it to sag, etc? If it's not effecting the stability of it, I'd leave it on an 8yr old Accord.

Not sagging yet - I'm hoping to prevent that. Kind of like leaks which get worse with time, I'm afraid the tear will grow larger with time. I want to nip it in the bud if I can.

My 89 Accord didn't come with the stuff. The underhood temperature in that car was intense. The paint never suffered. You could try Dynamat or some other self adhesive insulation product, but I think a piece or two of that HVAC tape will do the trick. You can find it in the aisle where the A/C duct parts are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Actually I don't think the liner is there that much for temperature reduction as for noise reduction. My Civic does not have one. HVAC tape may be worth a shot. My concern is that the surface has years of "dust" embedded into it and may not stick well.

Yeah, its for noise reduction. My car didn't come with one either and for sure has idled hundreds of hours.
In fact, the hood is one of the few spots on the car NOT peeling the paint off in sheets...

greasegunn said:
Actually I don't think the liner is there that much for temperature reduction as for noise reduction. My Civic does not have one. HVAC tape may be worth a shot. My concern is that the surface has years of "dust" embedded into it and may not stick well.
Right. I was actually responding to a concern voiced by another poster. My 72 Pontiac had one and when it wore out I just removed it. I never noticed an increase in noise, but I doubt my ears qualify as a decibel meter. I agree that you might have trouble getting the tape to stick.

So how hot does it get under the hood? Can the adhesive on the HVAC tape take the temperature?

Adhesives used for the foil HVAC tape can tolerate underhood temperatures. But, as you pointed out earlier, you need good adhesion from the start. It would not be difficult or expensive to try it. I find that the stuff comes in handy for a lot of things once you have a roll on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back