Smaller rims on Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put on my new 15" rims and Continental Pure contact 195/65/15:

4fUqS0...FuXw=w1172-h782

IMG_2295.jpg

Haven't driven much, but the steering feels lighter at low speeds and the new wheels weigh 31lb vs 39lb of the old 16" steelies /w Yokohama Avid Envigor.
Looking forward to a smoother ride and less road noise.
Also, new Raybestos rotors and pads; cleaned and lubed the rear brakes.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong at all with taller sidewalls on bad roads. I wish the automakers and car buyers would want taller sidewalls on new cars.

I did this with my wife's HHR for snow tires. Never an HHR sold in america with less than 16 inchers but it has Chevy Cobalt brakes and 15s slipped right on.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
What size came off?

Probably 205/55/16.

Yes, that's the size on the Matrix.

Sure beats going to a larger wheel with a smaller profile. OP, where did you get the wheels from?

Do you have a link for those rims? They look great on your car and I have a silver 05 XR. I might do this if you like the ride and handling better.

Update:
Having now driven on smooth and rough roads, city and highway, I can say there's a noticeable difference, but not drastic.
The ride is smoother and quieter, low speed steering is less stiff.
I'm sure some of the difference is from 11/32" of tread vs 4/32".
There's plenty of grip and steering response seems the same, at least in sane maneuvers.
I'd guess I'd lose an edge in autocross, but if I wanted the ultimate in handling I'd be driving RWD or AWD after all.

Link to the rims:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClos...mp;autoModClar=

Have you challenged them in heavy rain yet?

I had Envigors on my previous Altima and I was awed by their ability to evacuate water even in intense pop-up thunder-showers I was able to accelerate & change lanes as foolishly as I could in the dry. In torrential downpours only poor visibility limited my ability to push tires.

Congrats OP!

I'm sure you'll probably notice a slight improvement in fuel economy and performance too.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Darris
Have you challenged them in heavy rain yet?

Yes, they did very well in a downpour on a road trip.
Of course they should with new, deep treads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back