OBDII scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need one of these in my collection. Anyone have any recommendations? I would like something that reads live data on top of being able to read/ reset codes.

I've read mixed reviews on the Bluetooth OBDII's that hook up to your mobile devices. (I have an iPhone if that matters.)

Harbor Freight has their re-branded Autels on sale right now, but I am not sure on their live data capabilities.

I did a bit more digging and found the ScanGauge II. It looks to read live data and display codes, but I am not sure on it being able to reset them. (I am not sure if this is technically a scanner, but it displays live data nonetheless.)

Have you checked out EQUUS products? I have the 3160 for a few years and found it to be very good. ScanGauge II can clear codes in most cars. I read a handful of people had issues with it, but I'd say 99% of the time I can do it.

I have one of the cheap $15 ebay/amazon ones. They seem kind of boring after the novelty wears off, but that's more a problem with the typically used torque app. It just doesn't read anything that interesting. Someone made an app for Subaru vehicles that works just fine on my cheap adapter, and it shows lots of cool stuff like torque split, which tires are slipping, ATF temperature, ATF degradation percent, and a lot of other cool stuff boring old Torque won't. Torque will show some basic parameters like coolant temperature and basic ignition timing, and reset codes though.

I've been quite happy with my Innovo 3030. They can be had for $25-$55. It does resets and reads ABS as well. Works as it should on an Equinox, Trailblazer and an Accord.

I'm very happy with my cheap bluetooth device but I think it doesn't work with iPhone. Also, I think newer cars have more data available than older cars. You can't read it if it's not pumping through the OBDII.

Maybe check out scantool.net i have the usb version that i use with a laptop and they have bluetooth wifi versions

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I have a ScanGauge II and have nothing but good things to say about it. You can read and reset codes along with viewing live data.
Ditto on the ScanGauge II - it reads and clears (most) codes, serves as a trip meter, and displays four parameters simultaneously. I usually have it set to litres/hour (gallons/hour for most of you), litres/100 km instantaneous (equivalent to instantaneous MPG), litres/100 km (resettable trip average, equivalent to MPG for the trip). and coolant temperature. In the mountains I like to use the LOAD function as well (especially with our MT vehicle). If load is over about 80% I downshift. Voltage is another handy one.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

So many options!
shocked.gif

The BlueDriver seems like a great value, but the more i think about it, the more I worry about app updates (or lack there of) as well as the dongle only lasting as long as I keep my current mobile device(s).

At this point, I should research whether or not my current vehicles even pump out live data as Leo99 mentioned too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back