Travelers marine grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm a little gun shy about wheel bearing grease now that I had bearings fail on me on the side of the road. My boat and trailer get launched in saltwater regularly. I was using super tech multipurpose grease but decided maybe I'm better off with something better. The trailer shop that builds my trailer said use lucas red n tacky so I bought some. Ive been thinking about it more and maybe I should stick to an actual marine grade grease. The tractor supply sells their house brand travellers marine bearing grease that is a calcium sulfonate base like a similar post here recommends. Is the travellers good stuff or should I find something else?
Thanks

Last edited:
I think you are best served by using an aluminum based grease for your bearings if you are launching in salt water. I used this for yeasr with my trailer bearings when I was launching in salt water along the Delaware coast and had no issues.

Make sure to use a marine grease with a GC rating. I've switched over to the calcium sulfonate (Amsoil water resistant grease is the type I got) for my boat trailer, but haven't used it long enough to comment. Calcium sulfonate seems to be both water resistant and not incompatible with other grease some of which is still in my bearings - tough to get all the old grease out hand packing.

I have used Bel-Ray marine grease for use in various applications, including trailers, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. It works great and is aluminum based. It has never washed out or let me down. The key with boat trailers (or any trailer) is maintenance.

I'm using Mobilgrease xhp222 with success, very water resistant.
It's based on Lithium complex so maybe not as good as Al complex though.

Thanks for the responses. I found standard lucas marine grease locally so I think I'm going to just stick with that. As someone mentioned, maintenence is the key. I think just using the lucas marine and keeping the trailer well serviced is the key. I think the reason for my bearing failure is because I didn't keep the bearing buddy's full and it let water in when I dunked the trailer. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Was Bearing Buddy fan and would put them on my new boat trailers when I got them home. One day the BiL stands on one to reach in the boat - knocked one off. I noticed a zerk appeared - I had put them over a Tie Down spindle. Went to internet and huge debate comparing the two methods. (Both are fine by me). My new boat has Tie Down through spindle lube gallery - so started to displace grease while turning the wheel as my PM plan. (Have my own boat ramp with car and boat sheds so - easy to do with boat in water). This led me to find an almost clear grease so I can pump until seeing clean grease coming out.
Mystik JT6 (green tube) has served me well over the last 6 years ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back