Mobil1 Burns Quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was running M1 in my Scion tC for a while and I never thought about checking the oil. 2500 miles it was down half a quart, which I didn't find alarming being that this car is known for burning oil. So I swapped to Castrol Syntec w/titanium (black bottle) and I haven't noticed any burnoff... anyone else have this experience?

No.

But different engines may use different oils at varying rates. See - too many variables. Its good to stick with one brand for more than one OCI, if you want to actually establish any patterns. Stock up when its on sale/rebate and it works out even better.

Im definitely going to keep an eye on it. I don't put a ton of miles on so usually I wind up changing it every 6-8 months. I was just curious if anyone else had this same experience

I quit using it for that reason many moons ago and I mean many. Of course the many formula changes over time is nothing like the old.
Our fleet of GM vans ate it up and it always had a burning smell. Of course a switch out changed that but I just
never went back. Any time I switch brands I watch it for a few thousand miles. I'm using new to me Total Quartz Future 9000 and it isn't using oil but went dark bronze really fast- in 500 miles. Not what I normally see

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm using new to me Total Quartz Future 9000 and it isn't using oil but went dark bronze really fast- in 500 miles. Not what I normally see

I've never even heard of that haha

Since you don't put a lot of miles on it, dilution can also be an issue. If you take your current fill on a 1+ hour drive, you may find afterwards that you actually are 1/2 qt low or more after the fuel/condensation burns off.

Some cars like certain oils better than others. The beauty of doing your own oil changes is getting to experiment with different brands of oil
smile.gif

I do drive it every day, usually its under 100 miles a week. Think that would still be a thing?

Ive always been a castrol fan, gtx in my last few cars. Im running synthetic in this because I know the previous owner did since day 1

Then you may want to try Castrol Magnatec- good oil and at a good price!

Originally Posted By: Crimson10tC
Ive always been a castrol fan, gtx in my last few cars. Im running synthetic in this because I know the previous owner did since day 1

Then you may want to try Castrol Magnatec- good oil and at a good price!

I was actually going to haha, I wound up with the black bottle syntec, it bundled with a K/n oil filter. All and all it was ~$38 for the 5q and a k/n filter, which to me was a fantastic price

For me , it all depended on the engine.
My Vibe drinks it like it's going out of style.
But I had an old 1988 S10 with the 2.5 Iron Duke , that I'd run yearly oil changes with it (5W30) and it never used a drop.

I quit using it for that reason many moons ago and I mean many. Of course the many formula changes over time is nothing like the old.
Our fleet of GM vans ate it up and it always had a burning smell. Of course a switch out changed that but I just
never went back. Any time I switch brands I watch it for a few thousand miles. I'm using new to me Total Quartz Future 9000 and it isn't using oil but went dark bronze really fast- in 500 miles. Not what I normally see

Total Quartz in America??? Must be imported

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
On our 2011 Camry 2.5 4cyl., no usage with M1 0w-20, AFE or EP.

Same with both of my Fords with M1 0-20 at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
No.

But different engines may use different oils at varying rates. See - too many variables. Its good to stick with one brand for more than one OCI, if you want to actually establish any patterns.

This is my experience. M1 burns more in one of my cars and hardly any in the other. Switched back to PP in the burner, it went away.

My LS3 was eating Mobil 1 pretty good too so I switched to Pennzoil Platinum. 2000 miles in and it's right up on that full line with not a spot of burn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back