Green Grease GC LB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have used Mystik JT-6 Hi Temp for forever now, but have been wanting to switch due to the whole Citgo, Hugo Chavez issue I don't wish to support. As Ive posted here before, I'm looking for sort of a 1 grease for all that I can use in my u joints and ball joints on my trucks, I also dont want to bother with having to order online otherwise I would be using Amsoil or Schaeffers. Recently I bought another gun and loaded it with Moly Wally World grease for my ball joints and continued using the Mystik on my u joints. I ended up giving the second gun away (without much persuasion) and decided on going back to 1 gun.

So I ran my JT-6 out on my last oil change on the drivers side upper ball joint and tie rod. I went searching for another grease and everywhere I went either house brand, Lucas, or Green Grease was available. I have always grouped Lucas and Green Grease in the "gimmick" category when looking at the tubes previously. Ive always thought of Lucas products as snake oil with a high price, and the Speed TV reference on the Green Grease doesn't help its case, nor does the price of either of these. My search ended at Tractor Supply where Green Grease happened to be on sale for $3 a tube, and I bought 2. The only other grease at TSC was their "Traveller" brand who lists its formula as a "Trade Secret" LMAO.

I returned home and flushed out my ball joints and various other joints with the Green Grease and then went online and began searching for reviews (I am bad for this after the fact research). It seems that everyone raves on the stuff. Not a whole lot about it here though. The 4x4 guys swear on it, as do the boat/ trailering guys. The only negative I have been able to find in 2 days of searching was on a boat forum where a wheel seal failed and water intrusion eventually washed out the grease. The guy was mad because it is supposed to be water proof but the other wheel was fine. I suppose this could have happened with any grease. My issue is no where can I find a GCLB rating on this. Dang near all other greases I have seen that are good for both wheel bearing and chassis applications have this certification right on the tube. Not this one. I believe that some grease is better then no grease, and the Green stuff does meet Spicer requirements for their u joints (my u joints are not Spicer but if they recommend certain spec I try to follow), and Moog doesn't seem to care what you put in their joints as long as it is slippery. My train of thought is that if this stuff is so great, why doesn't it carry this designation? And if it does, why wouldn't they want to put it on the tube? It is some of the stickiest stuff I have ever had on my hands I know that, but if it really is the cats meow I want to grab some more while its still on sale. Otherwise I will use whats left of what I have and grab a few tubes of Valvoline Cerulean for future use. I also plan on giving the fork lift and other equipment at work a few shots of it to do my own little test. Thanks for any input or ideas.

I have been using it for years on everything and never had a failure. Boat trailer bearings, OTR trailer brgs, automotive wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. I don't off-road or anything. I only stopped buying because I was able to get a few tubes of Schaeffers #274 from the site sponsor to try instead of buying a whole case. I believe it is somewhat better and a bit more waterproof. But at 2.99 clearance price, I would definitely pick up some of that greengrease at 2/3 off. That is a great price!

Thanks bmwtechguy. I bought a couple more tubes. Apparently there are some in my area who must like the stuff too as there was only 5 tubes left and 2 of those were damaged. 4 tubes total should last me a while, will probably give one away to the mechanic at work as sort of my "hands clean" experiment lol.

I just recently installed new wheel bearings and used the Green Grease for the 1st time. I have been using Mobil 1 syn for years but it just didn't seem to be doing the job. It doesn't seem to stay in the ball joints either. I certainly hope the Green Grease holds up because as sticky as that stuff is I'd hate to have to clean it out of there. When I run out of Mobil 1 in the grease gun I'm going to put in the Green Grease everywhere else as well. I believe the Green Grease is compatible with any lithium based grease.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I just recently installed new wheel bearings and used the Green Grease for the 1st time. I have been using Mobil 1 syn for years but it just didn't seem to be doing the job. It doesn't seem to stay in the ball joints either. I certainly hope the Green Grease holds up because as sticky as that stuff is I'd hate to have to clean it out of there. When I run out of Mobil 1 in the grease gun I'm going to put in the Green Grease everywhere else as well. I believe the Green Grease is compatible with any lithium based grease.

I too have switched from M1 synthetic to Green Grease. The M1 has always been very thin and seems to go to liquid too easily. I.E., the ball joints will have red drops of oil coming from them and the grease gun will drip a messy stream of red oil out of it when it has been sitting for a long time. It's really too messy of a product.

No opinion on the Green Grease yet, but it seems okay. It is certainly thicker than the M1 grease product.

Green Grease is lithium complex based grease, says so right in the MSDS. I use it in absolutely everything EXCEPT wheel bearings because it is not GC-LB rated nor does it have any approval for anything, for that matter. The PDS does say it has the "M2" approval rating but I am pretty sure that is a made up rating....

Still awesome general purpose grease though; very sticky, very washout resistant, super long lasting. Works great in everything and I have heard several others say they use it in wheel bearings with no problems. It is also available in 3 oz tubes for the mini grease guns which is nice.

If you want a lithium complex based, long lasting, wash out resistant, marine type grease, that DOES have the GC-LB rating, try Lucas Marine grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back