CV Axle brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have an 02 Acura MDX and looking to replace the CV Axles. Looking at different aftermarket brands, having trouble picking a brand. What are your experiences? Which brands to buy and to avoid. Thanks in advance!

I can only speak for my Honda CRV. I've tried Cardone, O'reilly, Raxles, and always had some sort of vibration. I finally purchased Honda factory rebuilt axles and have no problems.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I can only speak for my Honda CRV. I've tried Cardone, O'reilly, Raxles, and always had some sort of vibration. I finally purchased Honda factory rebuilt axles and have no problems.

I thought Raxles were top of the line?

What happened?

I'd probably use Napa reman.

WHAT? What happened to Raxles? I thought they were supposed to be the best!!
mad.gif
shocked2.gif

I recently ordered a pair of rebuilt axles for my 93 Camry from CVJ Axles. Lifetime warranty and have had no issues after about 10,000 miles. They are located in Denver, CO. Total price for the two axles shipped was $213. I was changing out one or both of the Orielys axles about every 18 to 24 months for vibrations or torn boots.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I'd probably use Napa reman.

WHAT? What happened to Raxles? I thought they were supposed to be the best!!
mad.gif
shocked2.gif

My Raxles lasted about a month and developed a huge wobble. The inner CV joint was loose. It appeared as though they replace the outer joint but the inner joint was not. I kept the Raxles even though they have a lifetime warranty. Upon cutting open the boot and inspection, I could see some wear on the inner joint.

Why do the axles need to be replaced?

If rebooting is possible, do that. Many aftermarket axles suck compared to OE axles and the replacements that are good quality are not cheap.

Originally Posted By: PurpleT
I recently ordered a pair of rebuilt axles for my 93 Camry from CVJ Axles. Lifetime warranty and have had no issues after about 10,000 miles. They are located in Denver, CO. Total price for the two axles shipped was $213. I was changing out one or both of the Orielys axles about every 18 to 24 months for vibrations or torn boots.

CVJ Axles sounds like a decent bet. So many aftermarket axles fail too soon.

Put new boots on yours or get used ones and put new boots on them.

I had a new aftermarket axle put on my 2004 VW and it was fine, 8 months later another cv boot tore on the other OE axle and I had that axle replaced with another new aftermarket one. That one vibrated at 2,000 RPMs while driving at any speed.

My Napa remans (probably A1 Cardone, as most rebuilt axles seem to be) worked great. After 3 years they were still going strong (I got rid of the car for other reasons)

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Aftermarket axles suck compared to OE axles and the replacements that are good quality do not exist.

Fixed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Chris142
No rebuilt ones. New only

New only means you'll be getting Chinese.

01.gif

Cardone= car-be-done.

I would only use new OE or reman OE for axles. IME, the aftermarket ones all vibrate after a short amount of time. Some of them are even missing the vibration dampeners.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why not low mileage ones from a junkyard?

Might be better than the chinese junk that would be available.

Went to youtube and watched a vid on cv axle removal and assembly..I would venture to guess that most folks will not attempt this at home, but it could be done if you want to buy a few special tools and spend several hours on Saturday or Sunday doing this and hope you did it right...me, I guess I will take my ride to the shop when the time comes,imho.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why not low mileage ones from a junkyard?

Might be better than the chinese junk that would be available.

1000x times better, get a low miler and clean, regrease/reboot it. I do it all the time and never have any complaints, the yards down south provide some real clean ones.
The Chines ones are real scrap metal, bad joints, unbalanced, most of the time come unpainted and rust quickly, cheesy boots and many times not even the correct shaft diameter or use a solid small diameter shaft instead of a heavy tube. They are trouble from the get go, same with most reman inc Cardone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back