Transmission is out . Any engine gasket to replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 98 mustang gt automatic transmision is leaking . I haven't go down there and look for it yet . Hopefully just a gasket . But if something major like need drop the transmission . I want to know any other gasket could be replace while the transmision is out . Rear main sealed ? ....

Rear main seal. It is held in place by a plate that is sealed with RTV on the 4.6L. They are not known for leaking that much. The oil pan might be leaking also, however you either have to pull the engine or drop the K-Member to replace it unless you have a Maximum Motorsports K-member or one of the copies installed already.

Transmission out, RMS would be high on my list of things to do. I'd probably do the front seal on the transmission too.

On your transmission if it isn't leaking, replace the oil pump and torque converter seals. They are a common failure item on the 4R70W. Also consider having the J-Mod performed.

I don't know if I would replace a rear main seal if it's not already leaking. I have seen seals actually cut into the crankshaft a little before they wear out.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I don't know if I would replace a rear main seal if it's not already leaking. I have seen seals actually cut into the crankshaft a little before they wear out.

Even if the elastomer is sealing properly, over time the elastomer hardens from the heat and that may cause it to dig into the shaft at an accelerated rate. I recently replaced the camshaft and crankshaft seals on my 4Runner and the crankshaft seal had noticeable discoloration due to the hotter temperatures down there. All the seals were still functioning fine, but you could tell the 20 yr old seal was much harder than the fresh new ones.

That's why when it comes to seals, I don't believe in the "if aint broke, don't fix it" approach. If it's easy to do while you have everything apart, do it.

The engine do not leak any oils or lost any oil . Just the transmission that leak a lot of fluid . It shift very smooth though . I will find a a good shop to perform this job . And tell them replace the rms too and make sure that they do it . Like some shop they charge you for thing they don't do and you can't tell because it's something you can't see .

Agree.

Seals have a ticking clock running against them. In the case of an old RMS, the clock has already spent a lot of time running against it, and it is an absolute beast to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back