F-150 2.7L Ecoboost Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I stated earlier I also have a '15 PowerStroke, and with that I was also concerned with the IOLM as it was my first vehicle with an IOLM. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples but the IOLM comes from the same group of engineers. During the summer months the 6.7 gets run 95% down the highway, loaded and the IOLM will take it to 10,000 mi. OCI. I sample every OC and everyone has come back stellar, as I could be extending the OC's several thousand mi.

The Ford engineers have plenty of a cushion built into the system to run it down to 0% and change, as I have stated many times before you can't go wrong following the owners manual.

Its not a counter. If you change the oil and immediately hook to a travel trailer with a CGVW of 13,000 lb and set the cruise on 75 mph it will require an oil change before 10,000 miles. Buddy's truck didn't make it through a 7,000 mile, 6 week trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Its not a counter. If you change the oil and immediately hook to a travel trailer with a CGVW of 13,000 lb and set the cruise on 75 mph it will require an oil change before 10,000 miles. Buddy's truck didn't make it through a 7,000 mile, 6 week trip.

I ran this experiment this weekend. I reset the oil monitor during my trip to the race track to see what would happen. I ran 600 miles towing a large, 22' box 52" V-nose trailer, at 73 mph when I could or in stop and go Chicago rush hour. I took the truck through the scales and it came out to 11,100 lbs. The GCWR of the truck is 13,100 so I was at 85% of the GCWR. I was also 20 lbs over the RAWR so the truck was supporting a good amount of the weight.

Like clockwork the OLM went to 99% at 50 miles and then 1% every 100 miles after that. Maybe this engine is that easy on oil with the relatively large 6 qt sump. When towing at 73 the engine is only running 2100-2200 rpm in 6th and occasionally will jump to 2600 when it downshifts to 5th if I need to make a pass. Without going through mountains or Death Valley I can't see how to stress the motor much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back