chrome polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking for a chrome polish that also leaves a protective barrier behind to ward off rust that seems to come back not long after surface is cleaned. Any recommendations?

If you are getting rust on chrome, then the chrome plating has already worn off where the rust is. You are probably interesting in removing the rust after which I suppose you can wet it with FluidFilm and use that as a 'protection' of sorts. You will obviously have to reapply.

If you are lucky perhaps it is not rust. One of my old cars with chrome wheels I thought has rust, but it was just baked in brake dust inside pits. Using typical wheel cleaner and a microfiber cloth removed it right off, but of course, like yourself I wanted to use something to protect it. I ended just using spray wax. I thought of researching for better products but left it as is and became more digilent about cleaning. If I did it over again, I honestly would just use FluidFilm where the pits were.

Autosol is my polish of choice. However if you want to keep chrome or polished aluminum protected, something like Sharkhide may be the ticket to lasting protection.

Blue Magic is a nice multi use polish. I like it on my polished aluminum wheels on the big truck because it's film seems to hold up well on the winter salt laden roads. Works great on chrome, too.

I'm not saying that it's the best thing out there, but I've had good luck with it.

Is a special product really needed or wouldn't a durable product like NuFinish be a good choice?

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Is a special product really needed or wouldn't a durable product like NuFinish be a good choice?

It depends on the condition of the chrome. If it needs to be cleaned and polished something like the Flitz I mentioned would be better. If you're looking to protect a cleaned and polished chrome surface, than a good wax or something like NuFinish would be all you need.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Turtle Wax Chrome polish works great! Been using it for years...

Also works better if you apply it with #0000 steel wool. Here is an old moped I cleaned up using Turtle Wax and steel wool and on the paint I used Kit Scratch-Out.

2014-06-09_15-07-58_549_zps4248e1c2.jpg

2014-06-09_18-36-38_219_zpstk9g2b95.jpg

2014-06-09_18-36-44_417_zpsc0e68a4e.jpg

2014-07-17_05-56-20_934_zpsowpbpgb3.jpg

Last edited:
I use NuFinish on my chrome spoke wheels. Easy on and easy off. It seems to protect them from brake dust.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124

Originally Posted By: razel
Already posted prior... Please delete.

HUH?

I wanted to delete my post since I already replied earlier. Wasn't referring to your post.
smile.gif

I swear by Simichrome for pretty much all my metal polishing, whether it's 200 year old gold(not something I rarely do) or the chrome on my car.

When I'm dealing with neglected chrome on a car, I generally will first of all start with a GOOD wash, which can actually do a surprising amount. I then follow with a clay bar and then metal polish(with elbow grease) to get a good shine on it. I prefer using bronze wool to steel wool on chrome-it's a bit less abrasive but if your chrome is "thin" you run less of a chance of getting rid of what remains of it.

After polishing, one of the best things you can do is put a layer of your choice of wax on it. There's nothing more frustrating to me than spending an evening polishing chrome and then getting water spots on it the next day. Granted that's more of a problem when you're dealing with chrome bumpers or other large chrome areas rather than exhaust tips, but then most of my chrome polishing is on bumpers and various other accoutrements. I'm actually thinking that in the next few weeks I need to pull the luggage rack off my MG as it's a pain to both get it polished properly and get the car waxed correctly under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back