OEM Thermostat small hole to assist air release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a Stant ST7-195 thermostat made in USA it has a tiny bleed notch/cut out on the inside flange.
It looks like just around 0.7mm dia, (less than a 1mm) or approx 1/32 inch dia.

Its not the SuperStant.

This Stant thermostat looks just like the ones Holden are importing and repackaging as OEM that I saw at the dealer.
It has the same stamp on the top flange and spring assembly.

I will run with this and no mods to see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
If it's oem, I would not drill. Why don't you just replace the oem stat w one that already has a hole in it?

Yep thats what i will do.

If it didn't come with a hole, I'd leave it alone. If not OEM, get a name brand after-market like Stant or Gates.

I bought a Mopar stat for my Jeep that came with a hole as well as a brass bleeder crimped inside the hole. Since it has a rivet on the side of the pressure, I imagine it seals while its under use thus eliminating the hole.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If it didn't come with a hole, I'd leave it alone. If not OEM, get a name brand after-market like Stant or Gates.

I bought a Mopar stat for my Jeep that came with a hole as well as a brass bleeder crimped inside the hole. Since it has a rivet on the side of the pressure, I imagine it seals while its under use thus eliminating the hole.

A little more, possibly useless info. The Chrysler 3.3 & 3.8 V6 thermostats came standard with "jiggler" ball bleeder, the 8V I-4 did not. After-market ones didn't either. I always bought the OEM V6 ones for my turbo 4 cylinder motors. The fit perfectly, and saved a lot of problems with bleeding the cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back