Learning to not obsess over detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago my car was clipped in the front and it needed a new bumper. The job was done and it came out well. However, the body shop destailing job put scratches on the paint for the first time. Prior to this, I had always washed the car and was able to keep the paint in "like new" condition (meaning no faint scratches you can see at certain angles). Maybe it's pure laziness but I am at a point now where I'm tired of keeping up with it or obsessing over how "perfect" my car looks.

I could surely remove these swirl marks with a good buffer and maybe I will at some point, but for now I am letting it go.
grin.gif

Understood! After detailing so many years for income I'm just done with it. During that time I had to keep our cars perfect to use as examples. Now? It's just too hot to even think about washing them much less break out the buffer.

I could have a 100,000 dollar car in my garage and I would still just keep it washed and cleaned out inside. I do mine myself as I don't care for the local car wash places. Gotta get out real early in the morning for a wash job this time of year, as the gentleman from Brownsville understands.

Good for you. Living becomes better when you learn that having your life revolve around wealth and your material possessions is an empty endeavor. Friends, family, spiritual health, and partaking in meaningful things is much more satisfying, at least for me. To each their own. It doesn't mean you cannot still enjoy taking good care of your stuff. Its just so much more pleasant when you take the obsessive part out of it.

Congratulations. Enjoy your imperfect life.

Keep it clean inside and out is the bulk of the work. People like riding in a car that's tidy. Plus in your area if you have to think about rust, so wash out the undercarriage during and after winter pretty well. Fussing over minutia, meh. Plus the more shiny it is the more birds will be attracted to it and bomb it.

Last edited:
I'm slowly starting to obsess a bit less. Maybe it's a thing with getting older, or something to do with the recent heat wave. Either way its a good thing and I hope it continues.

I know exactly what everyone from Texas means. You either have to go out super early or close to sunset. The last two years have been hard to keep it washed cause of the abnormal rainfall we have had. I usually do a full wax early spring, then just spray wax applications once a month or so. Not much time for more. And anyone with a big Truck or big SUV knows its a task waxing those things.

I'd probably keep my car cleaner if it were a nicer car, but it's a beater. I go through a $3 car wash once every month or so mainly so I can use their vacuums.

buster,

I loved seeing good looking paint jobs on older cars. The first 5 years or so they just look plasticky to me.

I hope you dontgive up or callit an obsession that you are doing by keeping those little, ugly, hideous scratches off your paint. Maybe you can ask what they did to cause so much damage.

I advise you to do like I try.

I used to wax everytime I washed because 'half the work was already done'. Now, after seeing in owners manual that waxing and/or mild polishing was good once or twice a year- I shoot for that. I used to wash/wax my car once a month. Heck it was weekly in high school with daily touchups with detailer and cali car duster.

Im just saying instead of skimping or neglecting, MAKE your time and effort count by using quality products, materials, and techniques. Also, you dont have to wax the entire vehicle everytime. Maybe do just the hood, rood, trunk all at once then next month get the doors and side panels.

I like to quit somewhere between enthsiastic and it not being enjoyable. When it becomes labor it is kindof going against the point. Sure we arent just out there having a blast as some on here will say family and the dog are more important. I am not. The windows in my house will still block rain and bugs if I dont clean them, but I try to take care of my stuff- keep it clean and n good, workng condition. There are folks on here that will scrutinize you if you go the extra mile and go above the bare minimum. And they love speaking out againt it.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I just wash my truck when it needs it, that's all it gets. No time nor desire to do all the waxing and detailing.

+1 - I do about this, try to get some wax or sealant on in the spring and fall, but that does not always happen.

To add something, I try not to obsess but after its washed and detailed right.. oh is it so pretty. Metallic paint has that effect on you.

I wash the car early in the morning and count it as some exercise. Now I do the rinseless wash about every 1-2 weeks which has some protection in it. No hosing down the car first, no hose, and no rinsing plus the solution has wax in it. Just slop the wash solution on the car with a wash mitt then dry a section at a time with plush microfiber. I can't go back to the traditional wash for maintenance washes. Ultima wash concentrate is around $13 on amazon and can be used as a waterless wash and a detailer as well. Has a built in measuring cup. Half ounce solution and 2 gallons of warm water. About 3 plush MF towels to dry.

I had the same thing happen at one of the best shops in the region. They worked to make it right.

I can accept road damage and chips, but not sloppy, preventable damage.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wash the car early in the morning and count it as some exercise.

I like your thinking!

Agreed. But this was my overall strategy anyway. I figured even if I lose interest after awhile, my car is still way ahead on the wear and tear derby. I've never used an abrasive on it, so I have plenty of opportunity to spiff it up should the mood strike.

Saw a nice looking Corvette convertible at a kind of informal car show at a city park. The guy had several trophies stacked up on the deck and a for sale sign, $15K, on it. No idea what model year. If you looked closely, you could see that the paint was getting thin in one spot---I think he had worn through it with all the polishing. Still, a beautiful car.

I bet the guy who buys the fully depreciated well maintained 'Vette has more fun than the guy who endlessly polished through $30K of depreciation, even if the paint fails.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wash the car early in the morning and count it as some exercise. Now I do the rinseless wash about every 1-2 weeks which has some protection in it. No hosing down the car first, no hose, and no rinsing plus the solution has wax in it. Just slop the wash solution on the car with a wash mitt then dry a section at a time with plush microfiber. I can't go back to the traditional wash for maintenance washes. Ultima wash concentrate is around $13 on amazon and can be used as a waterless wash and a detailer as well. Has a built in measuring cup. Half ounce solution and 2 gallons of warm water. About 3 plush MF towels to dry.

Yeah, but is it killing your towels

Or

Do they leave the washing machine as new?

I hate killing good cloth.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Agreed. But this was my overall strategy anyway. I figured even if I lose interest after awhile, my car is still way ahead on the wear and tear derby. I've never used an abrasive on it, so I have plenty of opportunity to spiff it up should the mood strike.

Saw a nice looking Corvette convertible at a kind of informal car show at a city park. The guy had several trophies stacked up on the deck and a for sale sign, $15K, on it. No idea what model year. If you looked closely, you could see that the paint was getting thin in one spot---I think he had worn through it with all the polishing. Still, a beautiful car.

I bet the guy who buys the fully depreciated well maintained 'Vette has more fun than the guy who endlessly polished through $30K of depreciation, even if the paint fails.

I think monthly waxing has gone the way of 3000 oil changes.

I wash them in HOT water in a whirlpool front loader. They come out looking brand new. Medium heat in the dryer, wash them by themselves although I do throw the wash mitt in there as well but leave it out of the dryer.

Too darn hot. I try to do my detailing work in the winter and get by with touchless carwashes and spray wax during the summer.

Found a BBQ joint with a touchless carwash that uses fresh "hot" water. Seems to do an OK job.

Heck I was up this morning at 8am watering my lawn, it was already nearly 90 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back