The best of intentions... Maybe the worst outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Audi S5 4.2L v8 has been tenderly garage kept from late 2009 to present. 34k on the clock. Engine full of redline synthetic 5w-30, 12 quarts. It was started and idled for an hour each month. Casually driven around the block. Now for the bad. The oil was never changed. Its a direct injected engine, which means fuel dilution could be an "issue".

They're old people, i cant blame them. Its my car and its been stored while I was away.

What can i expect? Can a UOA help tell? Any opinions are welcome. Wondering if every gasket is going to simultaneously start to leak on an otherwise perfectly preserved car.

Sinclair

What do you mean the oil was never changed? If it has Redline in the crankcase it had to be changed at some point.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What do you mean the oil was never changed? If it has Redline in the crankcase it had to be changed at some point.

He means it was changed before it was put into storage in 2009 and has had that fill of Redline for the past 7 years. During which time its been idled to temp on a monthly basis.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

He means it was changed before it was put into storage in 2009 and has had that fill of Redline for the past 7 years. During which time its been idled to temp on a monthly basis.

Ahh. Change the oil and carry on...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Ahh. Change the oil and carry on...

Really? No disaster? Is that because redline is such good oil? I seem to remember something about it being 100% ester. But obviously I'd do better stfa.

Change the oil and drive the [censored] out of it.

FWIW, if there is a next time, I would keep it on a battery tender and let it sit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

FWIW, if there is a next time, I would keep it on a battery tender and let it sit.

I agree with changing the oil and driving.

I'm not sure I agree with a battery tender for 7 years. I think the once a month drive around the block was more beneficial.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I'm not sure I agree with a battery tender for 7 years. I think the once a month drive around the block was more beneficial.

Funny you should mention that. The battery was on a float charger but it finally died last week. Just put an Exide H8-AGM in its place. Should be good for another 8 years.

I'm not sure I agree with the once a month drive around the block...A 20 or 30 mile trip every couple of months would have burned off
moisture in the oil....if that's not possible I probably would have just did the around the block 3 or 4 times a year, if at all.

How many miles are on the Redline oil? It's obvious it's not 34k from going around the block once a month for 8 years, although that's almost the way you wrote it.

I'm confused... What are you worried about? It's an Audi. Change the fluids - brake, power steering etc... Switch out the gas if it is old. Drive.

Curious: What makes you think "every gasket will simultaneously start to leak." Is there something about this particular model/year that concerns you?

Last edited:
As long as there was oil in there, i think you are fine. They probably never got it hot enough to get 12quarts up to temperature. So the oil was still plenty thick even with some fuel dilution.

What's done is done. At least it seems your brakes don't have "lot rot", irreversibly rusty rotors. Check them all for shininess to be sure.

32.gif
So you kept plates/ insurance active for 7 years of storage? Or did they bootleg it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back