Result; 5 additives tested in a lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrAdmin
But the engines in "preinfarction" state needs drastic means - such as Liqui Moly and Bardahl. This therapy should be lifelong, but it will postpone death, reduce oil appetite and increase the reliability of the engine, reducing the likelihood of an unexpected failure.

Can you elaborate further on those since the table does not really tell the story especially on Liqui Moly and Bardahl?
What does it mean the lifelong treatment recommendation ? User every oil change ?

Thank you.

Whether a legless snake or not, these lab tests appear to me to suggest (perhaps even prove) that motor oil can be improved upon with the right additives.

I read so many posts where someone says "just change oil regularly" or "all additives are snake oil". That just seems to be a very limiting viewpoint. To say that current modern MO is as good as it ever will be so live with it is really to say 'why bother then talking about MO on a forum?'. Change oil every x miles and case closed. Hogwash!

Sure 100k is okay, 200k is darn good, 300k is great, 400k is fantastic! If we can make any change that would make 400k okay, 500k darn good, 600k grat, etc., then that's worth doing.

Those lab tests really intrigue me. The science is suggesting that an additive to MO can affect the tribofilm resulting in less friction (ie. improved performance and mpg with less heat) and less wear (increased service life). I think simply labeling any and all additives to MO as snake oil is short sighted.

I have one brand new car (600mi) and two older (129k and 178k). The 129k Ford is an unknown as we just bought as first car for daughter. It would be great if there was an additive that could help get her 100k + use out of it without knowing how regular the previous owner changed MO. It would be nice to get another 300k out of the 178k Odyssey that has had its MO changed every 5k religiously since we bought at 80k. And I'd like to get 500k out if the new Elantra. Ridiculous? Maybe. But there was a time, most of us recall, that just getting 100k was considered fantastic. Improvements in engine design no doubt played a major part in this, but also the lubrication packages we use are way better including the addition of synthetics. Happily them scientists and designers didn't just sit on thei laurels and say it cannot be improved.

So when an additive hits the shelves, why immediately call it snake oil?

The lab reports provided in the prior post were quite revealing. They even stated that "molybdenum disulfate w/ fullerine-like microstructure has exhibit low friction" suggests that there could be something to the "Moly" additives we see sold. And we also hear of "nano" applicants, nano being a form of "microstructure"?

It is quite revealing that Consumer Reports tested Prolong on two identical cab engines to prove it does nothing as far as running on no oil/water as opposed to simple MO (unfortunately no test stated whether it provides less friction/wear in engine that is kept lubricated and cooled normally, which is what is most important). So we can certainly say Prolong does jack for dry engine operation in spite of their claims to the contrary.

Meanwhile, what about Bestline? I cannot find anything here or elsewhere that has debunked their claims. Rather than assume it is snake-oil, shouldn't each additive be seriously tested (and not on those timken thing's) before passing closed-minded judgment?

I found a webpage (wish I could recall location) where this guy (engineer) has tested over 179 MO's. The differences are hugh! This suggests that just changing MO every x miles without consideration of brand/formulation is foolish and a waste of money. My vehicles use 5w-20. The top listed oil in his test for this weight turned out to be Quaker State Ultimate Durability with an "impressive" rating based on some 'pressure' rating. Good to know! If this oil tested better than other MO's of same weight, and thus likely will provide my engines with better protection, then clearly not all MO's are equal, not all additive packages are equal, and thus it appears that changing or modifying additive packages, or simply increasing the package components without changing existing components (ie. metal treatments) is something that can in fact increase life and performance once determined viable.

Sorry for long rant. It is born out of reading so many off-handed "snakeoil" replies or the old fall-back "just change MO regularly" as in 'discussion over' to stunt real discussion on possible innovation and solutions we all really want.

Facts:

1. Not all 'quality' MO's are equal and thus will affect friction/wear differently resulting in different EOL profiles (with all maintenance actions being equal).

2. Labs have determined that MO's can be improved upon with the inclusion of certain additives that reduce friction/wear which in turn would improve performance and life of engine.

cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Riqrat
Whether a legless snake or not, these lab tests appear to me to suggest (perhaps even prove) that motor oil can be improved upon with the right additives.

I read so many posts where someone says "just change oil regularly" or "all additives are snake oil". That just seems to be a very limiting viewpoint. To say that current modern MO is as good as it ever will be so live with it is really to say 'why bother then talking about MO on a forum?'. Change oil every x miles and case closed. Hogwash!

Sure 100k is okay, 200k is darn good, 300k is great, 400k is fantastic! If we can make any change that would make 400k okay, 500k darn good, 600k grat, etc., then that's worth doing.

Those lab tests really intrigue me. The science is suggesting that an additive to MO can affect the tribofilm resulting in less friction (ie. improved performance and mpg with less heat) and less wear (increased service life). I think simply labeling any and all additives to MO as snake oil is short sighted.

I have one brand new car (600mi) and two older (129k and 178k). The 129k Ford is an unknown as we just bought as first car for daughter. It would be great if there was an additive that could help get her 100k + use out of it without knowing how regular the previous owner changed MO. It would be nice to get another 300k out of the 178k Odyssey that has had its MO changed every 5k religiously since we bought at 80k. And I'd like to get 500k out if the new Elantra. Ridiculous? Maybe. But there was a time, most of us recall, that just getting 100k was considered fantastic. Improvements in engine design no doubt played a major part in this, but also the lubrication packages we use are way better including the addition of synthetics. Happily them scientists and designers didn't just sit on thei laurels and say it cannot be improved.

So when an additive hits the shelves, why immediately call it snake oil?

The lab reports provided in the prior post were quite revealing. They even stated that "molybdenum disulfate w/ fullerine-like microstructure has exhibit low friction" suggests that there could be something to the "Moly" additives we see sold. And we also hear of "nano" applicants, nano being a form of "microstructure"?

It is quite revealing that Consumer Reports tested Prolong on two identical cab engines to prove it does nothing as far as running on no oil/water as opposed to simple MO (unfortunately no test stated whether it provides less friction/wear in engine that is kept lubricated and cooled normally, which is what is most important). So we can certainly say Prolong does jack for dry engine operation in spite of their claims to the contrary.

Meanwhile, what about Bestline? I cannot find anything here or elsewhere that has debunked their claims. Rather than assume it is snake-oil, shouldn't each additive be seriously tested (and not on those timken thing's) before passing closed-minded judgment?

I found a webpage (wish I could recall location) where this guy (engineer) has tested over 179 MO's. The differences are hugh! This suggests that just changing MO every x miles without consideration of brand/formulation is foolish and a waste of money. My vehicles use 5w-20. The top listed oil in his test for this weight turned out to be Quaker State Ultimate Durability with an "impressive" rating based on some 'pressure' rating. Good to know! If this oil tested better than other MO's of same weight, and thus likely will provide my engines with better protection, then clearly not all MO's are equal, not all additive packages are equal, and thus it appears that changing or modifying additive packages, or simply increasing the package components without changing existing components (ie. metal treatments) is something that can in fact increase life and performance once determined viable.

Sorry for long rant. It is born out of reading so many off-handed "snakeoil" replies or the old fall-back "just change MO regularly" as in 'discussion over' to stunt real discussion on possible innovation and solutions we all really want.

Facts:

1. Not all 'quality' MO's are equal and thus will affect friction/wear differently resulting in different EOL profiles (with all maintenance actions being equal).

2. Labs have determined that MO's can be improved upon with the inclusion of certain additives that reduce friction/wear which in turn would improve performance and life of engine.

cool.gif

Interesting. What additives would you consider useful for possibly increasing engine life? MoS2 and Biotech Engine Protectant seem to get some good reviews here. My only fear with MoS2 is vehicles that aren't driven everyday, sitting for a few weeks at a time having it fall out of suspension and settling in the bottom of the oil pan.

I use Ceratec every OCI cos it does improve an old turbo diesels chance of surviving overheating, HG failure or fuel contamination. Those are 3 big killers when you don't watch the dials or check the oil quality.
Lab tests are interesting, but real world tests are more important.

Last edited:
MoS2 is only of real use as an oil additive IF the oil you are using is not a German (Group 4 or 5) standard full synthetic with a good slug of Zinc and Boron based AW additives already included in thye mix.

Liqui Moly's top Acea A3/B4 oil is Synthoil High Tech and it does not contain any Moly. I use Shell Ultra 0w40 as it gave almost as good UOA results and it's much cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
How much vodka do you have to drink to see the results?
If you drink enough the results shouldn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Darkfire
Originally Posted By: kschachn
How amazing that every one of the additives improved both fuel economy and peak power output.

Who would have thought?

But, but, but--"We're not supposed to mess with a 'properly formulated' quality motor oil!"

Brb "You're playing chemist/tribologist".
Brb "Buy better oil (heard about a thousand times here).
Brb "It's just lightening your wallet".

I have noted this underlying theme as well as a short-timer here.

No matter the additive or treatment, the reponse is often "just use a high quality oil and change it regularly..." and "it is just snake oil...". That is not really helpful.

Obviously there are different oils and different addititve packages for a reason; changing up a few variables does change effectiveness and in turn engine performance/life.

I got a copy of an old Popular Science magazine (April 1976) with a really cool article on Synthetic oils. Back then, you had your professional gear heads or engineer that were naysayers. These I liken to those today that off-handedly wave off additives as snake-oil or waste of time/money. Here it is 2016 and synthetic oils are clearly the superior lubricators.

So I think that additives should be carefully considered as there is no such thing as "oil performance cannot be improved upon." That is illogical and closed-minded. It clearly has improved over the years and can continue to be improved upon.

I'm currently trying to dig up as much information on additives such as Energy Release. This additive uses oil only as a carrier as it is not an oil treatment. From what I have read so far and info from calls, it treats the metal and not the oil. As some have expressed concern about 'chlorinated compounds' associated with so-called 'metal treatments' in that it is corrosive and utilizes the corrosion as the friction modifier, I'm told that the ER product does not and has a buffering formulation to prevent corrosion, even improving the oil's corrosion capabilities as noted in several lab tests.

This stuff has been around since 1984 from what I've been told. I've only now been made aware of it by my tranny shop brother in Calif that he used it a few years ago, thinks it is really good, and for me to research it as he's thinking of distributing it through his shop. So that's how I got on this.

As for oil treatments I can't seem to get enough dirt on Bestline. Where are the big negative dyno or lab facts? Does it really make oil work better than the super Amsoil Signature synthetics of the world?

I read comments like "I'm not getting better mpg" or "not getting better performance (eg. HP)" or "not getting better OCI", etc. about various treatments. I'm thinking, "isn't the most important thing the longivity of the engine? Getting 500k or more out of your engine so it lasts longer than the rest of the vehicle?"

25k OCI or higher may be important to truckers with time and cost restraints (less downtime and they use a lot of oil). But for daily drivers, changing oil every 5k to 10k should not be an issue if you want to baby that engine as I want to do. It is cheap insurance and can prevent more expensive issues down the road.

Bestline? Energy Release? These 5 additives tested in this thread? Gotta think there is a magic bullet out there of a reasonable improvement. 10 years from now how are we going to feel about some of these technologies that are being waved off as snake oil, like synthetics were back in 1976?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: DrAdmin
Actually, more interesting an idea, that, as early you engine will pass the treatment the better life it will live. ideally, a new engine, when surface id very rough.

Actually makes me wonder how I made it as far as I have without those additives.

And while I am very interested in finding that additive that will help my new 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 4-banger work like new for 100's of 1000's of miles, or extend the life of our 129k Ford 3.0 or 176k Honda Vtek 3.5, I'm impressed that your vehicles listed have so far lasted without any additives?

What do you contribute this to? Do you drive like granny-mae? Is your OCI every Tuesday? Do you favor one filter over another or use bypass filters? Synthetics or cheap crude?

Perhaps you have covered this before here.

Do you find yourself getting rid of every car before it can reach 400k? Or have you done better with prior cars?

Reading articles about 1 million miles on an engine using Amsoil is really cool. Might this be a one-off and not expected to be typical? Or do most get bored and dump their vehicles long before 300k?

We really enjoy our old 2002 Honda Odyssey. It has 176k and seems to be very strong and healthy, although I can't be sure without putting it through professional testing. As a sort of challenge I'd like to see if I can keep it running in good shape for another 176k, maybe to 500k! So I keep the filters clean, the engine compartment clean, oil clean, tranny fluid clean and cooled, tires rotated every 5k, brakes in good cond, etc. etc. Will it hold together for 500k? That would be awesome!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Interesting. What additives would you consider useful for possibly increasing engine life? MoS2 and Biotech Engine Protectant seem to get some good reviews here. My only fear with MoS2 is vehicles that aren't driven everyday, sitting for a few weeks at a time having it fall out of suspension and settling in the bottom of the oil pan.

Unfortunately I am not qualified to say. Like many, I'm looking for answers beyond 'just use good oil and change it every 5000 miles".

My research is limited to available online material as I have no budget for engines, testing and tear downs.

That said, those lab tests about serpentine makes the argument that oils with serpentine minerals added can improve OTC oils. The only question now is the longterm effect (accumulation or other issues) and what products are currently using it successfully.

Generally, following the manufacturers' OCIs and specification is your best bet to a long life. The taxis each went hundreds of thousands of miles with no additives, just QSGB on double the OEM OCI. Of course, the conditions these engines faced (oil always at temperature, LPG fuel) were conducive to extended OCIs.

How many engines do we really have wearing out? It's other things that bite us in the behind, like massively worn suspension components or a very expensive transmission that gives up the ghost, not to mention rust or collision damage.

That said, those lab tests about serpentine makes the argument that oils with serpentine minerals added can improve OTC oils. The only question now is the longterm effect (accumulation or other issues) and what products are currently using it successfully.

They may make claims but I don't think their data arguments hold any validity under scientific scrutiny.

I question the whole tested in a "lab" premise of this thread, what lab was it? The tables that were cut and pasted look like they come from marketing materials, not a peer-reviewed paper.

A lot of people claim that a place is a "lab" and that something is laboratory tested but that doesn't make the methodology and criteria correct. I've pointed out that at one time I worked in a research lab for a company and we regularly debated and tested the coffee we bought for our coffee pot. That made the coffee "laboratory tested" all day long.

Without proper analysis published test results are meaningless.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

They may make claims but I don't think their data arguments hold any validity under scientific scrutiny.

Perhaps, but could you be more specific? What data arguments do you find suspect and why? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back