I Hesitated to Tell everyone but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I just bought 75 litres of Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w-30. At about 4 litres per year, this oil will last me 19 years unless I start making more miles. I'm not worried. 5 euro per litre, and it's a PAO/POE oil.

Are you using this in your Alfa? This is a A3/B4 oil but it has only 8.8 TBN? Or did I looked at older PDF and now it's a C3 oil?

Haven't we determined that some oils that have less than a double digit TBN sometimes "lose" their TBN slower than others with larger TBNs?

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I just bought 75 litres of Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w-30. At about 4 litres per year, this oil will last me 19 years unless I start making more miles. I'm not worried. 5 euro per litre, and it's a PAO/POE oil.

Are you using this in your Alfa? This is a A3/B4 oil but it has only 8.8 TBN? Or did I looked at older PDF and now it's a C3 oil?

Haven't we determined that some oils that have less than a double digit TBN sometimes "lose" their TBN slower than others with larger TBNs?

I don't believe that TBN numbers, rate of depletion, and how well they actually buffer against acids are exactly related in a linear fashion. Remaining TBN is an easy way to estimate life remaining but not being an exact science I think the total acid number is a more realistic measurement of oil life.This makes it more difficult to compare Virgin oil analysis, which is a past time here, but again other than nerdy insights into formulations and changes in then they are not that relevant to to engine oil performance either.

I agree with your comments. While I don't take issue with members who want to follow the VOA/UOA path, I have migrated to the mindset that repeatable wear testing under identical circumstances (controlled "lab testing" if you will) rather than 100s of tests under widely varying conditions (UOAs in various vehicles driven under different conditions seeking wear metal counts and TBNs, etc) is the way to go. Again I take no issue with those who choose VOA/UOA sequences. For me, however, a total test producing numbers that reliably indicate an oils ability to prevent wear is what I have confidence in.

No, you looked at the correct sheet. It's always been 8.8 TBN. I wanted a slightly higher TBN as I see almost daily what the C3 oils do. But I also wanted something that is still DPF safe. And I wanted a low Noack oil that's not overly thick below operating temperature. I've never seen a dpf fail from using A3/B4 oil though (we used Quartz 9000 5w40 at the dealership when I worked on Peugeot), but I see more dpf failures recently on cars using mid-saps oils. So I'd say there's no correlation between saps-level and dpf failure.

It held a lot of approvals, though some have expired by now and haven't been renewed. Total has some of the approval letters on their website for download. Some are for 3 years, others 5 years max.

MB229.5
BMW LL-01
VAG something/something
GM something/something (before dexos?)
RN 0700 (iirc)

and a few others

It's still on the mercedes bevo list as a 229.5 oil though, and that's the one that interested me most.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind using this oil in DPFed car since is quite in the range of C3 oils (tad stronger). Only thing I can't figure how they claim A3/B4 for this oil when clearly it doesn't meet this spec (min TBN)?

Wish I still had some green goodness left. Ran out of my stockpile about 2 years ago, but TD says the formula was showing its age in my (relatively) modern VW EA888 Gen II. *sigh*

Currently on RLI SHP 5W-40 Low Ash, but looking at the Total product if the NOACK is less than the "new" GC offering of 8.2. Can't beat $23 at Wally for a decent oil like this.

Herr pscholte, glad to see your still around......and still green!

Last edited:
I have been using GC Green on both my vehicles too. Still have about 50 liters left. Started using it on RDX as soon as it was out of warranty and have been using it on the E500 since I got it last year.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I remember how some disliked it when this forum was orginally called the German Castrol forum. It had to be renamed because some thought we were not being inclusive enough and we were hurting the feelings of other Euro oils.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I remember how some disliked it when this forum was orginally called the German Castrol forum. It had to be renamed because some thought we were not being inclusive enough and we were hurting the feelings of other Euro oils.
grin2.gif

bluesubie, you have summed up what it was like. There seemed no middle ground: only believers and skeptics. I have to say that 11 years later my "live" testing using GC from brand new to 11 years old in the same vehicle has demonstrated one of two things: either the oil we choose to use really doesn't matter or the elves were right. It REALLY IS magical.
cheers3.gif

As many people say, it's been in the ground for millions of years, another 11 won't change it much, just hope you gave the bottle a good shake before pouring it in, i've used oil from an opened bottle that was 7 years old for topping up and my engine has not blown up ( yet )

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
As many people say, it's been in the ground for millions of years, another 11 won't change it much

There's not a single drop of fully additised, formulated, and tested oil that has been in existence for more than 70 or 80 years.

During the millions of years that the base oil was under the ground, it was continually changing...slowly, like a great, big, slow refining process, for better or for worse.

Fact is that the presence of most of the additives in a modern oil aren't found in nature...the millions of years underground statement is silly.

Shannow, there must be SOMETHING to the million years business because my car hates it when I drive past a drive in theater showing any of the Jurassic Park movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back