Grease for farm equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tomky
I have been using some of the Valvoline Moly grease but was told it was a bad choice for bearings. Would you continue using it or switch to say the Mystik JT 0? If I switch will there be any problems caused by mixing?

I've never used moly loaded grease nor have i researched it, so I don't know about using it in bearings of any kind.

My understanding is that mixing Lithium Complex based grease with a Polyurea base is bad news, but switching from one LC grease to another is okay. Maybe some additive clash makes it less than ideal but you will get it all swapped out before long. If your moly grease is Lithium Complex based, you can switch to Crimson or Mystik without trouble.

In the last few years, I've tried Shell Gadus, Valvoline Crimson, Mystik and now Delvac Xtreme. Mystik is fabulous but I can acquire the Delvac at truckstops for a fair price and seems to work great. Haven't noticed any issues when switching brands and I don't bother trying to flush out the old grease (it would require a mess of grease).

I have been using some of the Valvoline Moly grease but was told it was a bad choice for bearings. Would you continue using it or switch to say the Mystik JT 0? If I switch will there be any problems caused by mixing?

Specifically, what products are you using?

The issue of molybdenum and roller bearings is overblown; at modest treat levels, you're fine.

As well, there's nothing inherently wrong with Valvoline Crimson. It's just an old-school, basic lithium (non-complex) formulation, and there are better choices on the shelf right next to it.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Specifically, what products are you using?

The issue of molybdenum and roller bearings is overblown; at modest treat levels, you're fine.

As well, there's nothing inherently wrong with Valvoline Crimson. It's just an old-school, basic lithium (non-complex) formulation, and there are better choices on the shelf right next to it.

Here is one I have used.
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear.../?checkfit=true

Yes, there is both.
I use the green tube JT-6 ... (TSC) for general purpose to utility and boat trailers. Water can't touch the stuff - and I like the clear color - figure one day if something is going out - you could detect. Several hard core farmer/fisherman around here use it.

Had no failures - and being a bit geopolitical - would not buy from them if not so happy with it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Had no failures - and being a bit geopolitical - would not buy from them if not so happy with it.

You could consider Mobilgrease XHP 222 - it has a marine grease base and is not from Hugo Chavez graveyard. Zoro has for $5 or whereabouts.
Tacky and messy, good stuff.

Ok - promise not to call me Mobil fan --- ... I'll order some - only quit Mobil 1 grease when it separated in the tube - but have not tried this version - will do - besides, now that goons face is in my head 🐗 And got to drop tha vision

Farm equipment? Kubota and John Deere both recommend shear stable Poly urea as their best grease. I recently purchased a case of 10 14 oz tubes of John Deere's version at a very reasonable price. Not sure if Kubota has branded a version. Lucas and Valvoline have versions readily available at auto parts stores. I have a couple of tubes of lithium complex to use-up before introducing the new poly, but it is my understanding that they are compatible. The JD literature states compatible with most other grease types and the charts I have seen indicate these two are compatible. But, when I switch, I will stay with one product type and not intermix willy-nilly. The best grease is the one you use.

prs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back