oil for my 2015 Ford 6.7 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil cap says 10W30 for normal and 5W40 for severe duty and bio-diesel (diesel rated oil of course). I was planning on Rotella T6, but now reconsidering.

Anyone think I could pick up a measurable MPG or two using 10W30?

And I cannot check the dipstick without getting on a step stool. I am 5-10. Maybe Shaq (O'Neal) could but not me.

I use T6. I get better mpg with 10w30, but don't use it because it's bad in the cold and the manual says not to use it for towing or bio both of which apply to me. Safest bet at a reasonable price is T6 imho.

Some may say Valvoline Blue may reduce regens. However, seem to recall something about too low SAPS there - maybe someone else will comment on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
The oil cap says 10W30 for normal and 5W40 for severe duty and bio-diesel (diesel rated oil of course). I was planning on Rotella T6, but now reconsidering.

Anyone think I could pick up a measurable MPG or two using 10W30?

And I cannot check the dipstick without getting on a step stool. I am 5-10. Maybe Shaq (O'Neal) could but not me.

Step on the bumper bro, I'm 5' 4" How do you think I put oil in it? lol I haven't pulled my dipstick out in a couple years actually I just look at what goes back into the gallon jugs.

Well in the winter I'd think the t6 5w40 would be the way to go for sure. Given it can get to -20°F or likely colder up that way.

These days it's hard to know what states or stations are selling B5, B10, B11 or B20 without labeling as such. That could steer you to 5w40.

I use 10W-30 in the winter here in Wisconsin and 15W-40 in the summer. Starts at -20 degrees (not wind chill) without plugging it in and most days are below zero. Below that it is recommended in the manual to plug in the block heater.

I'd run the T6 to be on the safe side, no matter what the manual says I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a 30wt in a heavy duty diesel engine personally. Guess I'm just old school though, I remember when 15w-40 was considered the "light weight" back in the era of monograde diesel oils and the reign of Detroit 2 strokes.

I ran RLI's 5W40HD in the fleet's Scorpion (Ford) diesel pickups. Also ran a full analysis program on everything in the fleet, both on and off-road. They were worked hard most of the time, but they were in SE Idaho where winters are very cold. We would never have seen improved mpg with a 10W30 in ours, but I have every confidence that we'd have experienced degraded protection from it, in our climate and service conditions. If a person used their pickup as a commuter car, _maybe_ they'd see a difference. Not sure they could measure that difference, though.

Personally, I'd run RLI's 5W40HD. I've never had better mpg nor lower consumption in any engine I've tried it in, assuming a 40-grade is among the suitable grades.

Been looking at Delo 400LE 5W40 synthetic myself lately, found its about $2 cheaper a gallon at Walmart than the Rotella T6. The additive pack is pretty comparable and the lower pour point looks to be an advantage in the winter months.

I have tried all of the majors in 5W-40 (Shell, Chevron, and Mobil), 15W-40 Kendall SynBlend, and today I poured in Chevron Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 to see how it does. Chevron is the cheapest, followed by Kendall, then Shell, and finally Mobil.

All of them performed well, but the RT6 was noisier than the others in my 6.7L. Will be interesting to see if I can tell any difference in MPG with the 10W-30 versus the others.

I have a 2 foot step ladder to check the oil in mine, there is no bumper to speak of that you can use to step on and check the oil. I am not sure if Shaq could reach it either
laugh.gif

2015_PSD, Did you use up your stash of Mobil delvac 5w40? Thought you were pretty sold on 5w40 synthetic for extreme heat conditions. Thanks to all for sharing. Bob Fout, here in California I thought I heard bio diesel was used a lot. Will continue using Delvac 5w40 if I can score cheap.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
2015_PSD, Did you use up your stash of Mobil delvac 5w40? Thought you were pretty sold on 5w40 synthetic for extreme heat conditions. Thanks to all for sharing. Bob Fout, here in California I thought I heard bio diesel was used a lot. Will continue using Delvac 5w40 if I can score cheap.
No, I have not used all of it I still have 12 gallons of Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, 4 gallons of Rotella T6 5W-40, 4 gallons of Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 SynBlend, and 4 gallons of Delo LE 5W-40 in the stash. Yes, I am sold on synthetics for severe duty, but I have no plans to tow anything in the next 5K (or go into an extreme climate), so I thought I would give Chevron 10W-30 a try and see how it works.

I have already noticed that it is noisier than the 5W-40s I have used except for T6. I had 10 gallons of Delo 400 15W-40 (conventional) and so I swapped 5 gallons of it for the SynBlend. CK-4 is just around the corner and I am guessing that CJ-4 will go on sale so I will be trying to stock up on more CJ-4 synthetic if it comes available for cheap. Biodiesel is very prevalent in the Houston area as well, although I cannot obtain the percentages from the retailers where I buy it so it leads one to guess. My guess is it is between 5 and 10% biodiesel and according to Ford any use of biodiesel means severe service. I use Stanadyne in every tank and alternate between the lubricity and performance formulas.

Thanks 2015_PSD. Appreciate the info on your oil results. Been using Archoil 6200 fuel additive myself. Just got back from a 600+ mile trip and never saw my oil temp above 239 (fan turned on)...that is with towing a 6,000 ilb car behind as well. Take care.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How many quarts does your truck use for an oil change?
6.7L PSD engines take 13 (as stated by Ford in the OM) to 14 quarts (a few friends tell me that 13 quarts will not completely hit the full line on the dipstick). I would like to find a deeper pan to make it an even 16 quarts.

Gosh, so an oil change at the Ford dealer would probably be at least $75? Since the oil change coupons say up to 5 quarts. The Ford dealer here charges $25 for an oil change. I would have guessed 8 quarts so I was way off. But I'm sure it's easier to do a longer oci like you used to do on your previous truck. But that prob had a much smaller oil capacity.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Gosh, so an oil change at the Ford dealer would probably be at least $75? Since the oil change coupons say up to 5 quarts. The Ford dealer here charges $25 for an oil change. I would have guessed 8 quarts so I was way off. But I'm sure it's easier to do a longer oci like you used to do on your previous truck. But that prob had a much smaller oil capacity.
At the Ford dealers in Houston, it would be about $125 (including tax and filter) for a Motorcraft 10W-30 conventional oil change. I can do it myself for $70 with Delo 400 LE 5W-40 synthetic oil or $55 with Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 synblend using CQ Blue filters. If the oil is on sale or has a rebate it is even cheaper. Well, without bypass filtration, I do not see a way to have extended OCIs on a Powerstroke. I have fuel dilution to contend with as well as a warranty to consider. My 2010 FX4 had a 7 quart capacity and maintenance on it was a snap compared to a Powerstroke--but I knew what I was getting into before I bought it and I like maintaining it (at least until I get much older)
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back