Nissan Frontier vs Chevy Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions regarding a new truck purchase. Looking at crew cab 4x4 with the V-6 engine. Any reason to choose one over the other? Anyone on here have experience with either truck?

Aussie review (Navara is Frontier), and assuming that your Colorado is the same as ours...plus ours are diesels.

I purchased a 2016 Colorado back around Memorial Day. Have about 1,400 miles on it now. V6, 4WD, crew cab, short bed, Z71.

So far, there's been no issues and I really have no real complaints. My fuel economy has been a little better than expected. Sticker says 17 MPG city and I've been seeing somewhere in the 18-19 range. Highway is spot on at 24. Power is fine. Trans is calibrated for economy but responds when you spur it.

Likes: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both great. Gauges, infotainment, and control layout for the interior is really well done. Everything is where it you expect it. Crew cab is roomy enough for adults (and kids... one big car seat and one booster live in the back of mine). Heated textile seats. It fits in my garage!

Complaints: The ride is a little choppy in the rear over really broken pavement. Lots of splash and spray from the front tires; Splash guards are recommended. Brakes don't have much initial bite. Hard stops require heavy pedal input. The front air dam is l-o-w.

MgBeETMh.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've added splash guards, a set of tubular steps (the nice GM ones), and had the bed sprayed. I also scored a deal on a brand new set of Z71 take-off wheels and tires that I split with a co-worker (he took tires, I took wheels) that will be used for winter tires.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
Looking at crew cab 4x4 with the V-6 engine.

Which one is that; the Frontier or the Colorado ?

for the amount of money you would be spending, go full size for the better value.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
for the amount of money you would be spending, go full size for the better value.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^Not major difference in dollars or gas mpg.

I read somewhere that the Frontier was the number one traded in truck after a very short ownership.
My guess was the mileage is pretty dismal and not much better than a full sized truck.

I like the mid-size because it will fit in the garage and it is easier for the wife to drive too. I had a Ford Ranger when we met and she loved driving that. I agree regarding the pricing and fuel economy being very close to the full size. Toyota isn't out of the running. I do like the Tacoma but I imagine that the Nissan and Chevy/GMC probably can be had a fair bit cheaper.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The Frontier is a decade-old platform in desperate need of a revamp.

True...but my sister has one (05 I think) and it is still going strong, only had normal maintenance plus one sensor in 180000+ miles.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I purchased a 2016 Colorado back around Memorial Day. Have about 1,400 miles on it now. V6, 4WD, crew cab, short bed, Z71.

So far, there's been no issues and I really have no real complaints. My fuel economy has been a little better than expected. Sticker says 17 MPG city and I've been seeing somewhere in the 18-19 range. Highway is spot on at 24. Power is fine. Trans is calibrated for economy but responds when you spur it.

Likes: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both great. Gauges, infotainment, and control layout for the interior is really well done. Everything is where it you expect it. Crew cab is roomy enough for adults (and kids... one big car seat and one booster live in the back of mine). Heated textile seats. It fits in my garage!

Complaints: The ride is a little choppy in the rear over really broken pavement. Lots of splash and spray from the front tires; Splash guards are recommended. Brakes don't have much initial bite. Hard stops require heavy pedal input. The front air dam is l-o-w.

MgBeETMh.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've added splash guards, a set of tubular steps (the nice GM ones), and had the bed sprayed. I also scored a deal on a brand new set of Z71 take-off wheels and tires that I split with a co-worker (he took tires, I took wheels) that will be used for winter tires.

That's one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen.

If your actually going to go off road, the oversized nose and grill on the colorado might get annoying as you'll have memorize 30' of trail you can't see.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

MgBeETMh.jpg

That's one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen.

That is sharp!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: mclasser
The Frontier is a decade-old platform in desperate need of a revamp.

True...but my sister has one (05 I think) and it is still going strong, only had normal maintenance plus one sensor in 180000+ miles.

I've got the '03 Oz turbodiesel one...only got 141,000km on it.

It's been probably my favourite vehicle

2010 in signature - also, a bit light brakes my only complaint - EBC pads made a big improvement ...

Friend bought an '08 Frontier after owning an '03 Chevy S-10 and '89 Chevy K1500.

Nissan's engine (more modern aluminum V-6) gives better mileage than the "V-8 with 2 cylinders cut off" V-6 the S-10 had.
Extremely rusty Chevy...friend called it endemic to US trucks.

The stuff I've seen on the Nissan doing front strut replacement and adding a bull bar and lights (wiring-switch) all looks better than the Chevy hardware.

Frontier web posts warned of the radiators internal transmission cooling lines failing and contaminating the fluid and hurting transmission. I saw my friends truck had a factory installed external cooler. It means he got one which was produced after the word got out. NISSAN FIXED IT.

The world over Nissan installs 8 different engines into that vehicle. That makes me think it was at least engineered a little bit. A decade old platform in a truck doesn't bother me that much.
A revamp is as likely to have overlooks and cost cutting woes as it is improvements.

I am becoming a GM hater in my old age. Kira

The Frontier also used to recommend the use of premium fuel and I found with my 2007 that the mileage dropped about 2-3 mpg when I used regular gas. That was the one thing that really ticked me off on an otherwise very nice truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back