Mirage wheels & tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law's work car is a new Mirage. He has ~3000 miles, which is about 2900 miles longer than it too him to realize the stock tires suck rocks. He plans to use the OE wheels for snows, and get a set of aftermarket wheels-probably 15"-for summer tires. So...any suggestions?

The wheels must be...
Not chrome or billet.
15"
As light as reasonably possible.

The tires will see lots of miles (15,000+/year), and all weather except snow. LRR is nice, as is low noise. Long treadlife is good, though secondary to the first two.

For 15" wheels it looks like the tire size is 195/50R15. A lot of them are sporty tires, so if it were me I'd get the Continental ContiProContact.

The stock 14" wheels are basically bicycle tires, and tire choices are almost nonexistent.

Saturn "Sawtooth" cast 15 inchers weigh 13.6 lbs and have the 4x100 pattern. They are from 1994-95 and may be around the junkyards.

Almost all the OEM miata wheels are very light too, 14lb or less after market 15" wheels get pretty expensive. For a car like the Mirage, I'd be tempted to run 14" with taller sidewalls but still get a grippier tire.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Saturn "Sawtooth" cast 15 inchers weigh 13.6 lbs and have the 4x100 pattern. They are from 1994-95 and may be around the junkyards.

Is the offset correct? Because that would probably work...

These are 14 lbs, new, correct offset and tires can be installed, Road Force balanced and shipped to your door.

Tire Rack

Available in 14 or 15 inch. I'd prob stick with the 14 inch option. Another guy on here had this done but went down a size:

Link

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Is the offset correct? Because that would probably work...

It's a front wheel drive offset. You could look it up if you're serious but it should be close enough.

There'll be about a 67mm hub hole, bigger than most, so you're in for a lug-centric fit.

It's hard to find hub spacers that go from one OE to another. Most aftermarket rims at least have a "standard" big hub hole. I'm running Caravan steelies on my Camry and there aren't spacers for this aberration.

Additionally, my sawtooths started having clearcoat peeling issues nearing their 20th birthday. If one can get new rims from TireRack for $67 or whatever that might be a decent longer term investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back