Bad paint job, advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to get the hood on my Jeep painted, it is an aftermarket hood, and the paint just started to fade, and get really thin looking.

I take it to a local shop, and they paint it for $532. I get it back, and all around the hinges, it looks like they put them on while the paint was still wet, and there were like bubbles where I could push in with my finger, and they would pop back out. Then, there was a big ding near the driver side vent from over-tightening the bolt, as well as the center vent from over tightening.

They told me to bring it back in two weeks, because the paint was too wet to try to correct that day. Well, 4 days later, the paint in the center of the hood just outright cracked up, like two tectonic plates colliding. He said that was from putting too much clear coat on...... I bring it back in three weeks, and just picked it up last night, after hours, around 9pm, so the shop was closed.

Looks like dog sh!*. Orange peeled and thin in the center......just outright amateur paint job. I can't believe he had the nerve to hand it back to me looking like this. I don't know what to do at this point. It seems like they won't be capable of painting it right, and I want a refund. They're a small family owned shop (they are a repair facility also), and I hate to do this to them, but it just seems like painting is just beyond their skill set, though they call part of their business "Auto body repair".

I don't know what to do if he says he won't refund, and why should I even let him try to paint it again? If I dispute the charge on my card, who makes the decision whether of not the paint job is acceptable?

I went through this some years back, a repair facility damaged part of my vehicle, and declined liability. I disputed the charge for the whole repair, but I ended up paying, as they said I had to file a claim in small claims court, or the shops damage insurance. What a mess.

Here is a pic of the hood, so you get the reference to the vents.

http://www.wranglermania.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/AEV_hood.gif

Cut your losses and find a more reputable shop. That hood needs to be stripped IMO; there's no telling how much is layered on there now.

Be polite and professional. Don't lose your cool. Tell them you are not happy w their work and why. Request your money back. Hopefully they will be professional and give u your money back. If not, small claims may be your next step. CC dispute may not work because the shop did the work. Sorry, broh. Good luck

They used cheap paint and poor prep work, good base/clear can be fixed the next day and wont bubble or feel soft. The only way to do this job properly now is to strip it and prime/repaint with quality materials.
Once a paint job is buggered you don't just keep painting over it.
After stripping the surface needs to be sanded lightly and an epoxy primer like Nason Ful-Poxy 491-16 applied then a sanding primer like Nason SelectPrime 421-11 applied let dry and block sanded.

Top coat with a quality paint like Chroma or Premier base and a high solids clear for durability. This paint will be ready to sand and buff 12 hrs after painting. I use Dupont but PPG makes some good stuff also.
I am doing a trunk lid this way, the prep and priming is just as important as the top coat, high quality materials and careful prep work will look better and last longer.
This place doesn't seem able to do quality paint work so take it to a pro painter and deal with them after the job is done.

The fact that they were ok to let this go out the door to you means they don't care about their reputation, I'd go elsewhere. I'm sure really good shops make mistakes too, but they don't let them go out the door to the customer , they correct them and the customer never sees it.

Last edited:
It's possible they have more than one paint "technician".

In all my professional dealings, I never get annoyed. I simply express my concerns and expectations very clearly. I've learned to write down my requirements and present them FIRST. I find that I can work with people who also act professionally. Those who can't behave do not have the pleasure of dealing with me and my full timely and complete payment methodology.

I also tend to pay for services via credit card. Even if it costs a touch more. That way, I can dispute charges if necessary. As you might expect, there are times, where payment should be refused.

Why wouldn't the credit card company work? It's your company, they are on your side- always. I would threaten them to put this in dispute with my credit card company and have them re- paint it. That wait three weeks is bull. I had to have the Ford dealer re- paint a trunk lid three times in three days. They are trying to wait you out and hope you either tire out or move on. No way I d walk away from over $500. If I was a millionaire, I wouldn't. That's just dumb. At this point your going to have to come out of your comfort zone and play hardball. They won't get paid otherwise and you won't have to pay. Why I love credit cards.

I would take lots of pictures, dispute the charges , and take it somewhere else. No way would i go back for more. The have no inspection before the car goes to the customer, or they just don't care.

Even a credit card company will likely prefer that you at least attempt to resolve the matter before making a chargeback.

At least try to get your money back before going ahead. Even if it is just a 2 sentence conversation; it at least shows you tried.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Why wouldn't the credit card company work? It's your company, they are on your side- always. I would threaten them to put this in dispute with my credit card company and have them re- paint it. That wait three weeks is bull. I had to have the Ford dealer re- paint a trunk lid three times in three days. They are trying to wait you out and hope you either tire out or move on. No way I d walk away from over $500. If I was a millionaire, I wouldn't. That's just dumb. At this point your going to have to come out of your comfort zone and play hardball. They won't get paid otherwise and you won't have to pay. Why I love credit cards.

Nowhere did I say I was going to walk away from $500....I just wanted to know who makes the decision on whether or not the paint is acceptable.....comfort zone??

I have since spoken to my credit card company, they said to take it to another body shop and get a statement of what happened, and what it will take to fix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why is body work always so shoddy? I've never seen good body and/or paint work,ever.

You're right. There has only been one body shop out of the 7 or so I've had to deal with that I was able to look @ their completed work and say "wow, that looks great". Four of them I thought "looks okay". But the last two body shops that I've had to deal with (now keep in mind I live kind of out in the sticks) I thought "what the ____?"

Last edited:
Can you post some pictures of their work?

I wouldn't be too concerned over the orange peel. I think the body shop I use does great body work but I did see some orange peel. I debated about saying anything about it. Cars come from the factory with orange peel. I remember my friend's 2014 Corvette had it and he wet sanded it to remove it. Now he has a 2016 Camaro that replaced it. Seems kind of silly chasing orange peel.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Can you post some pictures of their work?

I wouldn't be too concerned over the orange peel. I think the body shop I use does great body work but I did see some orange peel. I debated about saying anything about it. Cars come from the factory with orange peel. I remember my friend's 2014 Corvette had it and he wet sanded it to remove it. Now he has a 2016 Camaro that replaced it. Seems kind of silly chasing orange peel.

This is beyond orange peel, it is just thin, dull, and looks like there is no clear coat on it...... Other areas of the hood look great.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Be polite and professional. Don't lose your cool. Tell them you are not happy w their work and why. Request your money back. Hopefully they will be professional and give u your money back. If not, small claims may be your next step. CC dispute may not work because the shop did the work. Sorry, broh. Good luck

+1. It's easy to get mad, but this is great advice.

500 bucks is too much to paint a small hood like that. There's no bodywork. I wonder if he even stripped the original paint? A rough up and paint is a couple hundred. Less than 4 hours.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why is body work always so shoddy? I've never seen good body and/or paint work,ever.

There are guys out there that can do unbelievable work. Finding them is the challenge, word of mouth is the best way to find them.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/qq3FnKugIW

Look at the pathetic attempt to repair the hinges and no, that black chunk of paint missing on my hinge wasn't like that. They didn't replace the nuts on the vents, I guess because they didn't want to risk over tightening them, instead they re-used some of the old thread Fasteners but there are at least three missing and the vents are loose to the touch. Beyond the poor paint, they got over spray and dirt all over the top of the motor, and the inside of my car looks like they painted and prepped it while the windows were down...dust all over the seats, dash, console, and door panels... filthy boot marks marks all over my rubber mats. Seems like they treated my cherry 30,000 mile Jeep like a high school project.

Originally Posted By: montero1
https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/qq3FnKugIW

Look at the pathetic attempt to repair the hinges and no, that black chunk of paint missing on my hinge wasn't like that. They didn't replace the nuts on the vents, I guess because they didn't want to risk over tightening them, instead they re-used some of the old thread Fasteners but there are at least three missing and the vents are loose to the touch. Beyond the poor paint, they got over spray and dirt all over the top of the motor, and the inside of my car looks like they painted and prepped it while the windows were down...dust all over the seats, dash, console, and door panels... filthy boot marks marks all over my rubber mats. Seems like they treated my cherry 30,000 mile Jeep like a high school project.

That looks terrible! Personally I wouldn't allow them to touch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back