Which car for sales rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy of mine is a sales rep for a wine company locally..they used to provide cars Kias..but the owner has since changed the company car policy and making them drive their own vehicles. His route is 200 miles plus per day 5 days a week, plus the vehicle will be his personal vehicle. He has to carry signs and sometimes boxes of wine and merchandising stuff..so a small suv or the like would be best. He did make some good points.. He will be driving around 60K miles a year in this vehicle so a 5 year note would have the vehicle over 300000 miles when its paid for.. Vehicle will see all 4 seasons as well.

So basically he is looking for a low maintenance vehicle that can see 300K miles with the best fuel mileage and decent cargo space. And be able to somewhat enjoy the drive.

My vote was for a couple of year old Rav4.

what would you buy if u were him and why?

PS. he is getting paid mileage so except for what he does on his own time is paid for...but the tires and maintenance are on him.

Ford Escape. The company car choice of several companies, does well in fleet type use. Comfortable, roomy. A buddy of mine was in one at work, recently fleet traded him out at 260k for a new Ram ProMaster City.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The company is saving a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Depends on what they pay for mileage-but he's going to have to pay for his own commercial insurance. That's where you LOSE $$$!

I had commercial insurance on my F150, only 10% more than regular. I guess they figured I was using it commercially anyway.

another vote for the escape, probably the 2wd hybrid version they used to use for nyc taxis.

Everyone around here(sales reps) drive Prius V's.

I still believe that fuel cost will be issues for the sales force community for near future. You want something new and economical.

Hyundai with the remainder 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty you can get if you by one from a stealer that is certified..At an auction if not certified it will be the 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty

I'd look at the mileage rate paid and make sure the fuel economy (de-rated to 75%)will make sure that the cost to operate is not more then what's paid per mile with a healthy margin, the price of gas can go anywhere in the next 3 yrs!

two year old camry 4 banger for about $15-16k, very comfortable for long distance driving.

A CPO Mercedes GLK350 or ML350. You can get up to a 3 years unlimited miles CPO warranty. Start off at 50k and probably end up at 250k by the time the warranty is up.

Hi there. This is Steven Lang. If you google my name and cars, you'll know exactly who I am.

The best choice for your friend, if it is within his means, would be the Toyota Avalon hybrid. An XLE can be had for around $34 with the Limited topping out at around $40k.

If that's his budget, he should give it a good look/see. It drives better than most Lexus models.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: CT8
The company is saving a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They must know something I don't If the car is driven 200 miles a day 5 days a week that is 52,000 miles per year. If they are paying the 2016 federal mileage rate of $0.54 per mile that means they will pay $28,080 each year just in mileage. In 3 years they will have paid $84,240 in mileage.

If the company provided $20,000 cars and paid even $3.50 for gas the entire 3 years the total would be $38,200. I am guessing there is enough room to cover tires, oil changes and insurance in the $46,040 difference over 3 years
wink.gif

My god the new Prius is so ugly, but it would be the perfect car for him. 50 mpg highway or 39 for the Prius V. RAV4 would be ok I guess.

I'd consider the Hyundai Tucson too

Or Honda HR-V

Kia Soul
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage
Chevy Trax
Buick Encore
Honda HR-V
Jeep Renegade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back