Add 1/16'' to your overall measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little trick I learned today. If your blade is 1/16'' wide and it's gonna be in the cut, add 1/16'' to your overall measurement. I had to do that today because I needed to cut the end off a board and I wanted to have the wide part of the shoe on the board for more stability.

If your saw blade is on the left, and the long section of the board is on your right, cover the cut line with your saw blade; it'll come out perfect.
smile.gif

What kind of saw??

Table saw?

Correct the measurements for the fence!

Spent 10 years in a custom cabinet shop, no reason for the fence measurement to be off, just needs to be set correctly.

I think we knew what we were doing, I made the wood portion of trophies for the Indy 500 race. Yes there trophies for those winners to take home & keep.

Unless you're running a 3/32" blade, or a 1/8" blade like a table saw....but, simply put, yes, add the kerf to your desired length if you're measuring to the opposite side of the cut.

Last edited:
Easy enough to write 'LTL' along with the dimensions/miters/bevels in my materials' cut workbook notes.
Sometimes it means 'lose the line' and others it's a reminder to 'leave the line.' Or 'long to long.'

Just today finished up a no-90° crown job. I'm still upside down and backwards.
smile.gif

The word is kerf, the amount you have to allow for for the thickness of the saw blade.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
What kind of saw??

Table saw?

Sure! I gotta Powermatic table saw and a Festool Kapex sliding compound miter saw!

No, I'm talking about a Skil worm drive.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Silly people, you just line up the laser to your mark and cut!

Apparently the Festool Kapex has DUAL lasers! each side of the kerf!!!

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
I get a lot of spam emails with the same text in the subject

But those usually promise more than 1/16"...

Originally Posted By: Tegger

\
OH. Now I get it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: jcwit
What kind of saw??

Table saw?

Sure! I gotta Powermatic table saw and a Festool Kapex sliding compound miter saw!

No, I'm talking about a Skil worm drive.

OK, understood. Never used a Skill saw for anything precision.

In the shop we had a radial arm saw with a 30' table.

Didn't have a Frstool Kapex saw either, but really after the panels were glued up most all cuts were taken care of on one of the 6 CNC dual head routers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funflyer
Dad taught me to always add a RCH to the measurement and lose the line. Hasn't failed me yet.

funflyer, what does "RCH" mean ?

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Every 1/16" counts dontcha know, esp for me.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: funflyer
Dad taught me to always add a RCH to the measurement and lose the line. Hasn't failed me yet.

funflyer, what does "RCH" mean ?

A hair from a real redhead but not from the head. I'd spell it out but it will be censored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back