Removing fungus/lichen/mold from paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shoot sherlock - my 2.5 year old white WRX has this very hard crusty matter of organic nature growing under the top lip of the rear hatch. VERY difficult to remove, soap brush, etc doesn't touch it. Power washing? No. It has a death grip on the paint. Ideas?

on almost every surface on the planet just needs a bleach and soap solution and a pressure washer but one of the few things I haven't put bleach on is a car. When I washed for a living I washed tons of organic material of things just not vehicles.

Use an acid based alloy wheel cleaner. Wheels are painted the same as car finish, that is a base coat and a clear coat.

Just make sure to follow the direction on how long to leave it on the paint. I would start out no longer than 30 seconds.

I'm guessing you have already tried clay.

Last edited:
I have used Soft Scrub with bleach several times on my white trucks with no ill effect. Wet the surface before use. Scrub and rinse immediately.

Isopropyl alcohol!

Melamine foam!

Case forming lube! (Coconut oil, liquid lanolin and Isopropyl alcohol)

Various swabs and brushes and microfiber towels.

Finished with thorough rinse and good wax.

Just took a lot of time and elbow grease.

Sorry lousy cell before pictures. Need to take some after pictures.

Oh man, I need to change my standards. Without the pictures I was imagining end of the world zombie organic 1 inch thick nastiness of goo that might cure cancer or police relations. To most people there's no problem.

Originally Posted By: razel
Oh man, I need to change my standards. Without the pictures I was imagining end of the world zombie organic 1 inch thick nastiness of goo that might cure cancer or police relations. To most people there's no problem.

I know the pictures pretty much suck. I took those as I neared completion. Allow me to explain. Technically the growth is algae. The car is 2.5 years old and the growth was damaging the paint. It was pretty bad. The alcohol did a decent job of killing any remaining life. The growth was penetrating the clear coat and paint, giving it a very strong bond, to the point I still couldn't get it all. There remains a pink stain in the paint - some call it pink mold. I would say if the car was over 10 years old I might Kill it and leave as is. If say 5-10 years old I would make some attempt. Less than that I want my vehicle to look new. I think if Mike or the other pros here saw it, they would say it needs to go.

I actually disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see 1 inch worth of biomass that might bring world peace or help assist in finding patterns of a woman's mind. From the sound of your description of the mass's tenacious stickiness you may want to send a sample to Meguiars for them to unlock that secret so that we they make a long lasting natural wax.
smile.gif

Chances are it was probably grease that some new form of bacteria life found yummy and which ended up mutating into a new lifeform that you killed. 'mmmmerica!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back