Going to try DT Arizonian Silver Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.
on sons Camry - he blew out a tire (Michelin Destiny)& had to drive a bit on it to get off the main roadway, so going all 4 replacement.
Car is 98, 112k, no leaks etc - been a great car for the kid in the about 10 years driving it.
14" tires and DT not offering a variety like my other 2 vehicles.

Don't know how long he plans to keep the Camry (kid thing) so going for a bargain I hope.
I've been a big Michelin fan (still am), but on my DD SUV I replaced the Defender's with Continental ControlContact Tour AS (10k on them now) and have been happy with them. DT doesn't have Continental in his Camry size or other Michelin's except the Defender.
Although DT has a cheap price Barum Brillantis 2 for $34/ea and I'm paying, I'd rather give their house brand a try as like I say I been happy with the Continental ControlContact Tour AS which I heard is one of DT tires. I like em better than the Defenders.

Within the 1st month if he's not happy with them (Arizonian Silver Edition III), I'll take it back and get the Defender's I guess.
Fingers crossed for Arizonian - lol

These tires have a 65,000 mile tread warranty, traction is A rated and temp B rated.

They appear to be a solid tire. However, don't except any support or love on these tires here on BITOG.

Private label is generally disliked and they are not Michelins. One "esteem member" who Grandmother or Mom bought these tires here on BITOG flat out said the tires were not any good on another post-and he didn't even check the construction or ratings.

I'll be interested to see some real-world pics and hear your impressions.

The first two digits of the DOT number will tell you the company and exact factory where the tires were made.

195/70-14, right?

The General Altimax RT43 is available in your size, too. General and Barum are both made by Conti. The Arizonian is made by Cooper, the private label king.

Specs on this tire are identical---or very close---to the Cooper CS3. I would bet the DOT code says Tupelo, Mississippi, where the CS3 is made. As always there is the question whether the private-label tire is 'exactly' the same as the Cooper-branded tire, or if there are minor tweaks to save costs. Same debate as the Cooper CS4/Mastercraft Avenger Touring LSR a few years ago.

I had the CS3 last year; would still have 'em had I not traded them in on WRG3s on sale. CS3 is a smooth tire but with decent enough handling for a DD sedan. I did not drive on it in snow, but I would say as long as you don't need great winter traction and don't drive like Speed Racer, the Arizonian should be fine.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Specs on this tire are identical---or very close---to the Cooper CS3. I would bet the DOT code says Tupelo, Mississippi, where the CS3 is made. As always there is the question whether the private-label tire is 'exactly' the same as the Cooper-branded tire, or if there are minor tweaks to save costs.

The tread patterns between the Arizonian and the CS3 appear to have some significant differences.

1998 Camry 4-cyl will run on any tire in California weather most of the year, only when the rarely rainy day came around November til March then he should be careful on highway.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
....Within the 1st month if he's not happy with them (Arizonian Silver Edition III), I'll take it back and get the Defender's I guess.
Fingers crossed for Arizonian - lol

That's a good plan. Exactly what I did with a set of ContiDWS on an Accord. Terrible flat spot vibration I couldn't live with. Took them back and got Michelin Primacy MXV4s. No comparison. Not a Michelin fanboy, first set of Michelin I ever bought. Just not wanting to bring back another set immediately, and they were well rated.

Years ago I purchased the made for DT Yoko YK520, predecessor to the YK580, also with a good tread wear warranty. Long story short, only got about 30-35K miles and they were about done. DT gave me a very generous (imo) adjustment on the YKs towards a new set of tires.

So, little to lose at DT giving the Arizonian a shot.

Let us know your impressions and how they work out for your son.

Some of the cheap tires might be lacking in areas of safety.
If those cheap tires had silica in the tread compound, DT would have said so in that video.
Silica wouldn't matter to the average easy going driver that is starting to grey.
Put a kid/20 something driver behind the wheel and it might matter.
If he was driving on tires that gave him confidence in which he maxed out, don't
downgrade the tires. I'm talking traction at max limits. A lot of people here judge tires by ride/quietness/smoothness.
You really can't judge those tires until they become half worn and they are being driven on wet pavement.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Some of the cheap tires might be lacking in areas of safety.
If those cheap tires had silica in the tread compound, DT would have said so in that video.
Silica wouldn't matter to the average easy going driver that is starting to grey.
Put a kid/20 something driver behind the wheel and it might matter.
If he was driving on tires that gave him confidence in which he maxed out, don't
downgrade the tires. I'm talking traction at max limits. A lot of people here judge tires by ride/quietness/smoothness.
You really can't judge those tires until they become half worn and they are being driven on wet pavement.

There are PLENTY of budget tires on the road. Here we go again, calling less expensive tires "unsafe". There are MANY FACTORS that contribute to accidents-just because a tire costs less than a Michelin doesn't inherently make them "unsafe".

You post is full of assumptions and speculations.

Last edited:
Well how do I put this - we got a flat.
eek.gif
so on goes the spare to get us there.
Driver side/rear, got a slit nearly 2 inches or so. They took the tire off the wheel and found a knife blade, no handle, in the tire. He said I'll get charged for 3 tires and get one free. I had bought the certificate back when the Destiny's were bought. I've used DT for some years now and have always bought the certificates. 1st time something like this has happened with me. Nice, no questions, just says here is the knife blade and I'll fix the order for the free tire.

Tires mounted son says he can't tell any difference from the Destiny's. Myself, I couldn't tell any difference noise & ride wise. Time well tell. He drives the car, not me.
I mentioned if the kid isn't happy with them we'll be back for something else. He says come on back in and we'll try something else. Just like that.
I'll let him drive on them for a couple weeks then hope to get some feedback. He drives easy so they should be okay. Hope when some rain comes I'll take it for a spin and spin my opinion on them.

add - DT fella did mention he doesn't hear any complaints on these tires.

Last edited:
Just because these tires don't have "silica" in them doesn't make them inferior. To state so is to imply a hidden agenda. What were all of us driving on BEFORE they started putting this compound in tires?

By all accounts with few exceptions, most DT stores are a great place to do business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back