Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40 / Mitsubishi 4G15T

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA for this car, decided to try it mostly for fun, never really thought the sample will cross the Atlantic and arrive in condition to be tested, since we have now shipping restriction (3cm max thickness or shipping price go crazy expensive). So, this is my first Blackstone sample that fit in a less than 3cm package
smile.gif

For those interested, sample shipped to Blackstone the 4th of July, and report received today (11 days later).

9f3fa9ee-7e9b-49f1-adab-424ee2a28488.jpg

Not much to comment. Very short run on this "unusual" oil, part of my "I'm cleaning my engine after very long OCI" program. Could have run longer, but it was just a matter of convenience, and oil drained was black, I guess one more proof colour doesn't mean anything.

Russian VOA for this oil had 146ppm Moly, and 6ppm Silicon, also more Zn, Phosphorus, Boron and Ca (are these like "consumed" ?). A lot of fuel dilution despite not much idling or city driving, but the sample was drained cold.

Oil filter was Purflux LS489A, that I kept for a second OCI. Current fill Shell Helix Ultra 0W40.

Thank you for any comment, and yes, I should have kept the oil to run it in my diesel beater.

Originally Posted By: Popsy

Russian VOA for this oil had 146ppm Moly, and 6ppm Silicon, also more Zn, Phosphorus, Boron and Ca (are these like "consumed" ?). A lot of fuel dilution despite not much idling or city driving, but the sample was drained cold.

That oil did a fine job and forgive me for not knowing what's "unusual" about it. I'm not familiar with the oil or the engine but your results matched up well with universal averages. Shorter oci yes, but had you kept going with it you were going to get good results.

I've done a dozen or more voa to uoa comparisons in both gasoline (petrol to you) and diesel oils. The only thing that really gets "consumed" is Boron. As I've mentioned before, Molakule has said that his belief/theory is that it is masked by acid and not really consumed.

The others (zinc, phosphorus, moly, etc) have always remained very steady when comparing the voa to uoa. Oils seem to vary batch to batch so you can't compare someone else's voa to your uoa. That goes for flash points, too.

I had one dissimilar comparison when I took a voa from a small bottle but then my uoa came mostly from a five quart jug and there was a big difference in the add-pack. Whoops.

I'm guessing there is a carb that contributes to fuel dilution, no?
Well .... used oil that turns black/gray is not a good indication of oil condemnation .
But a used oil that largely retains goldenish/amberish hue indicates continuing serviceability ...... to me that is.
blush.gif

Unusual oil because not seen or talk about often on bitog, hard to get but cheap, and it seems it was worth it
smile.gif
But nothing unusual about the oil itself.

Also like Jetronic said, fuel injected + turbo, it is the Colt in my sig, detuned engine to 150hp, torquy but not a redline hunter. Judging by the smell at the exhaust and the huge «pollution tax» that was paid when bought new, it may be running rich. Mileage is not bad but I only drive it on highway or rural roads with constant load on the engine. Exhaust tip is not darken by deposits though.

Oh and for those interested, I payed like 2,75€ to have the sample shipped to USA...much cheaper to have it analyzed over there than locally!

Also like Jetronic said, fuel injected + turbo, it is the Colt in my sig, detuned engine to 150hp, torquy but not a redline hunter. Judging by the smell at the exhaust and the huge «pollution tax» that was paid when bought new, it may be running rich. Mileage is not bad but I only drive it on highway or rural roads with constant load on the engine. Exhaust tip is not darken by deposits though.

Still the 2.5% fuel couldn't be normal and acceptable, right ?
confused.gif

I don't think so. Sample was drained cold, but still.
Don't really know what/where to check, if anything to check. I may send another sample next time, we'll see ! Next OCI will be in September, I'll try to send a sample.

I noticed If I start after 5-10s with contact on (diesel habits die hard, long preheat time on my diesel), it starts pig rich and jitters before returning to normal idle, if I put the key and start immediately, it starts normally and get back to normal idle much faster.

PS: if any European are interested, grand total shipping + analysis + banking charges = 27.79€

Wear numbers are very low despite the fuel dilution!

I like this oil but unfortunately Petronas is not sold in North America.
And even if it was it wouldn't be able to compete on price with M1 0W-40 which is made here.

Thank you for your comments on Petronas UOA
smile.gif

When I checked today, M1 0W40 was 10€ more for a 5L jug, Motul 300V 0W40 is unavailable (grrr) but there's the 5W40, currently a bit more expensive than M1 (not the good season to buy oil).
There's also Total Quartz 9000 5W40 energy which is even cheaper than Petronas and on the thick side.
I don't have Motul 8100 0W40 anymore and it is currently more expensive than 300V 5W40.

Which one has te better base ? Petronas vs SHU (probably GTL) vs Total Quartz (gr III ?) vs M1 (still Visom here ?)

Even if the Petronas is predominately GP III based that wouldn't concern me in the slightest. Nor does the 10% viscosity loss which is due to fuel dilution. Porsche for example allows up to 18% viscosity loss before the spec' 0W-40 is condemned.

What is the power output for this 1.5L engine and what is the lightest oil grade recommended?

This specific engine was given for 150hp.
If you want to laugh, you can have a look at the manual:

e9cee378-eca7-4c97-b967-9a796ff3b31f.jpg

5W30 is said to be ok for low temperatures.

Since I live in a moderately cool climate (say from ~0° to ~30°C), I assumed a thin 0W40 is ok. Dealer always put Esso Ultron 5W40 before I did the OC myself, but no M1 0W40 they offered to other vehicles, don't know why.

Your drivers handbook states an outdated API SG spec' so your car must be fairly old?
Anyway, a 5W-30 with an A5/B5 rating is a pretty light oil so I wouldn't be at all concerned that the heavier but "light" Petronas 0W-40 would be too light. As I mentioned your UOA of this oil is excellent.
I'm assuming the Mitsubishi doesn't have an oil pressure or oil temp' gauge.

Nope, the manual is from the 2010 Colt in my sig. And the manual was "newly written" (lol, obviously not the oil part) in 2010, since originally the car came with the manual for the 2004-2008 Colt, and Mitsubishi sent a new one a few months after the car was bought. These Orion engines are relics from the 70's, so I guess the oil part was not updated since.

No oil pressure or oil temp gauge, nor water temp gauge. There's a little blue light that is on when the engine is cold (something like coolant temp under 60°) to remind you not to rev it too much...and that's all. Pretty pathetic for a car with Ralliart badge!

Actually the manual page for NA engines (all alloy 4A90 and 3A91) says you can use everything from 0W30 to 20W50, but 229.1 oil is preferred...these engines are "less old"
smile.gif

Edit: I remember when the car was bought, stop and start fitted 1,1L and 1,3L engines (3A91 and 4A90) were told to use 0W20 oil, and there was a picture of Mobil 1 0W20 oil on the advertising leaflets, very unusual oil in Europe at the time. Strange I don't found trace of it in the manual, maybe there's an addendum for cars with stop and start.

Last edited:
Unusual oil because not seen or talk about often on bitog, hard to get but cheap, and it seems it was worth it
smile.gif
But nothing unusual about the oil itself.

Oh and for those interested, I payed like 2,75€ to have the sample shipped to USA...much cheaper to have it analyzed over there than locally!

Indeed even in Malaysia, the home of PETRONAS, their oils are never cheap and never on sale. The only time I saw PETRONAS Synthetic on sale is from ENEOS, a 15W-50 API SL old stock oil.
For the price I would rather buy M1, or SHU.

Nope, the manual is from the 2010 Colt in my sig. And the manual was "newly written" (lol, obviously not the oil part) in 2010, since originally the car came with the manual for the 2004-2008 Colt, and Mitsubishi sent a new one a few months after the car was bought. These Orion engines are relics from the 70's, so I guess the oil part was not updated since.

No oil pressure or oil temp gauge, nor water temp gauge. There's a little blue light that is on when the engine is cold (something like coolant temp under 60°) to remind you not to rev it too much...and that's all. Pretty pathetic for a car with Ralliart badge!

Actually the manual page for NA engines (all alloy 4A90 and 3A91) says you can use everything from 0W30 to 20W50, but 229.1 oil is preferred...these engines are "less old"
smile.gif

What's the recommendation for the Smart Forfour Brabus, with the same engine (170 bhp for the brabus though)? I bet it'll carry a mercedes specification.

1625a571-f48c-4906-8412-9b907141a044.jpg

For the Brabus engine, 229.5 oil...which reduces oil choice within 0W30-5W40.

Previous page states Smartcare or Mobil oil are preferred.

Russian VOA for this oil had 146ppm Moly, and 6ppm Silicon, also more Zn, Phosphorus, Boron and Ca (are these like "consumed" ?)

No, I don't think so.

One should bear in mind that the russian VOA was made on the OLD Petronas 7000 (see old packaging in the link ); it was a Gr III based oil

old Petronas 7000 VOA

The new formula (mid 2015 onwards) has the CoolTech logo on it, the packaging looks quite different ( new Petronas 7000 ), it has plenty of PAO plus a misterious ingredient, that we try to figure out here and here

Probably you UOA'd the new version, that has started to hit the Western European market not long ago; plenty of online shops offer both versions at this transitional moment
smile.gif
(see oscaro.fr for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back