Squeaking leaf spring bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about the rear of my '11 F150. Specifically, the rear leaf spring bushings of the rear leaf springs; they appear to be a revoloving shackle design. I have isolated the noise to this location as it goes away if I spray them down with a hose. Spray lube doesn't help at all and once the water dries it comes back. The truck sees yearly fluid film applications so I have tried power washing the spring packs with little improvement. Degreasing the rear bushings solved the problem for half a day and when it did return was less pronounced.

Given this info, I guess my plan is to mix up some 50/50 simple green and water and just scrub the [censored] out of the rear bushings. If a second washing fails then would there be any reason to try remove/clean/reinstall or should I just move on to new bushings? I wonder if a poly bushing would be an improvement? With a heavy greasing before install and yearly fluid film maybe it would stay lubed enough to be quiet?

If you thought those bushings were loud, wait till you hear poly bushings!

I'm going through the exact same thing with our 2014 f-150. Embarassing to have a $30k++ truck squeaking and groaning over bumps.

It's being traded on another truck that's on order, so I'm not really motivated to wait at the dealer for it to be repaired.

I think the only thing you can do is replace the bushings or leaf spring (always replace springs in pairs).

At least it's behind you, and not in the front from control arm bushings squeaking. The squeaking sound is annoying.

After installing upper control arms in the jeep,the poly bushing made enough noise to drown out the engine. A little bit of grease solved that permanently.

I run some poly on my Mustang. It can squeak badly but I keep a grease gun loaded with superlube and hit the zerks every couple thousand miles. I understand what I'm in for there! If I gotta put up with squeaking might as well have a reason. Right?

Maybe install some grease zirks into the leaf springs and shoot some grease around the bushings.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Maybe install some grease zirks into the leaf springs and shoot some grease around the bushings.
21.gif

or a set of upgraded bushings. But one or the other is about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back