Walnut Grips Really Make A Difference !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blaze
I had some Ruger factory wood grips on my Ruger 45 colt but gosh those things HURT with heavy loads. I now have packmeyers back on which were the factory original that came with them. I love the looks in the gun safe with the factory Ruger wood grips but they just are not functional for the shooting I do.

I think this has more to do with design than material in many cases.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I had some Ruger factory wood grips on my Ruger 45 colt but gosh those things HURT with heavy loads. I now have packmeyers back on which were the factory original that came with them. I love the looks in the gun safe with the factory Ruger wood grips but they just are not functional for the shooting I do.

I have to concede that I put Pachmayrs on my Blackhawk in 45 Colt also after I started playing in the "Ruger only" section of the book. It makes the gun tolerable with the type of loads that you get there. I agree that the standard wood grips are punishing. When shooting normal 45 Colt, though, I put the smooth wood factory grips back on. All of my single action revolvers, including my Uberti SAA clone, have these same sort of grips and they fit in with the "let it roll" mantra that I like to preach with normal 45 Colt loads(which give lower recoil impulse). "Ruger Only" loads, though, are too much to just "let it roll."

I also switched out the factory Hogues on my S&W 629 Mountain Gun for a set of Pachmayr "decelerators"(what I'd call a Combat grip as it has finger grooves). I actually prefer the classic "presentation" style Pachs when I do use them, but the choices are limited for a round butt N frame. Hogue seems to have the market on rubber grips these days-even supplying some factory grips-and to my eye Pachs as a whole look dated. I don't really mind, though, as they have an important feature absent from most Hogues and a lot of wood target grips-they cover the backstrap completely. That was my big motivator on the 629. Unfortunately also, an N frame grip that completely covers the frame is-out of necessity-quite bulky. I have a set of square butt Presentations that came on a 27-2(they were promptly swapped for wood targets about 5 minutes after I got home from the store, especially since a big 357 mag like that makes recoil fairly tolerable with most grips) but the Pachs really are too big for my hands.

On my SRH .44 magnum, I went from the Ruger OEM stocks to Hogue. It was less comfortable to shoot because the Hodgue stocks were narrower.

all5revol2.JPG

Trooperdone.JPG

I love wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back