XSR 900 first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DukeOfFrontenac
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: DukeOfFrontenac
On my XSR I did the first oil & filter change around 100 miles doing the 'hard break in' routine. A noticeable glittery sheen was in the drained oil. I did the next oil change around 600 miles, didn't notice any glittery bits. I think I did ok getting that factory fill outta there when I did. The factory filter was on kinda tight - get the proper cup wrench for it and you'll be fine.

Thanks! I picked up a Yamaha oil filter and 3 quarts of valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil today. I'm out of town all week on business, but when I return home this weekend I plan to get a little more aggressive on the throttle and deacceleration for another 50-100 miles and then dump the dealer fill.

The plan is to try to do one around 100-150mi as you did and then again at 600mi.

What color is your XSR?? I love mine!

Mine is the yellow (60th anniv). I've got history with the yammy speed block yellow on my bikes so the decision was easy for me. The brushed aluminum is very nice but I NEEDED the yellow ;-)

Very nice! I had the choice between the two. The anniversary model was on sale for $8500 Plus TTL. Something about the silver just screamed "riding like a sir" lol

I took the bike out today and ran it hard for another 50 miles. Lots of wot and long deacceleration From high RPM down. I ended up changing the oil at 96mi with Delvac 15w40 and a Yamaha filter and new crush washer. The oil pan had quite a bit of glitter in the sun and the oil did as well. I'm glad I changed it. Now back out to rack up some miles in the twisties!

I took the bike out today and ran it hard for another 50 miles. Lots of wot and long deacceleration From high RPM down. I ended up changing the oil at 96mi with Delvac 15w40 and a Yamaha filter and new crush washer. The oil pan had quite a bit of glitter in the sun and the oil did as well. I'm glad I changed it. Now back out to rack up some miles in the twisties!

Good Job! Now do another change at 500 or 1,000 miles at the latest. Around 500 miles, adjust your clutch, re torque all critical fastners, Check front and rear wheel as well as chain alignment and tension. Keep us updated!

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Lol, only if I win a trip to the Olympics.
I hired a nanny from Sao Paulo....
Naw, you don't want to hear the rest.

He was ban. Couldn't answer that...

Aww, too bad because the oil only had 96 miles on it.
What a shame for it to be recycled, metallic glitter and all, instead of sent to Brazil for continued service.
Delvac 15w40, good choice, very little if any VIIs.

Originally Posted By: AMC

Good Job! Now do another change at 500 or 1,000 miles at the latest. Around 500 miles, adjust your clutch, re torque all critical fastners, Check front and rear wheel as well as chain alignment and tension. Keep us updated!

Certainly will! I plan to change it at 600 with the same oil/filter combo. Bike has almost 300 on it now. I've been riding it all day. I've already adjusted the clutch once today. Chain is still within spec, but I did lube it with some Maxima synthetic chain lube.

If it's anything like my Duc, the engine probably won't fully loosen up until about 2000 miles. Sounds like you probably seated the rings well, with the proper style of break-in it sounds like you did early on. That bike should not consume enough oil to notice.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If it's anything like my Duc, the engine probably won't fully loosen up until about 2000 miles. Sounds like you probably seated the rings well, with the proper style of break-in it sounds like you did early on. That bike should not consume enough oil to notice.

I agree, it seems to run better as the miles increase. I'm just shy of 400 after a long day of riding the twisties pretty hard. It still doesn't feel as raw as my friends fz09, but his bike has like 1500mi on it. His definitely feels more "free" albeit with way worse fueling.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
Best of all I hope your garage has that new bike smell! I don't know what it is, tires, engine sealants, or what, but love that smell.

It does! It's a unique smell for sure! I love the smell! I'm glad I chose to buy a brand new bike verses a used one.

And the Kenny Roberts colour scheme is one of the best ever. Loved the red & black on white background that Yamaha used to use but always preferred KR scheme. It really caught my eye in the showroom a month ago when I saw it 'in the flesh' for the 1st time.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back