FCA Jeep/Ram changed Oil spec on Ecodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
FCA has officially changed the oil specification on Ecodiesel / VM Motori A630T 3.0 diesel engines from C3/MS11106 to API CJ-4 "Synthetic" 5W40.

The change was made to the diesel supplement in the owners manual for all years. Can find yours here.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

I of course have been using CJ-4 all along, and while I didn't foresee this change. I did have a negative opinion in the use of C3 oil for Diesel engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fraser434
FCA has officially changed the oil specification on Ecodiesel / VM Motori A630T 3.0 diesel engines from C3/MS11106 to API CJ-4 "Synthetic" 5W40.

The change was made to the diesel supplement in the owners manual for all years. Can find yours here.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

I of course have been using CJ-4 all along, and while I didn't foresee this change. I did have a negative opinion in the use of C3 oil for Diesel engines.

Smart move, I guess the "engineers" rethought the oil selection and found a better option. You beat them to the punch. I wonder if the 5W30 was CAFE driven, and not up to the chore in the Eco-diesel engine?

Smart move, I guess the "engineers" rethought the oil selection and found a better option. You beat them to the punch. I wonder if the 5W30 was CAFE driven, and not up to the chore in the Eco-diesel engine? [/quote] Pretty much everything is for CAFE and EPA considerations.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Smart move, I guess the "engineers" rethought the oil selection and found a better option. You beat them to the punch. I wonder if the 5W30 was CAFE driven, and not up to the chore in the Eco-diesel engine?
Pretty much everything is for CAFE and EPA considerations. [/quote]

Yes, pretty much. In this case it seems the better choice came later on. I'd love to know what prompted the change.

There were some reports of bottom end failures. This change is for both higher viscosity and an increase in SAPS, so that makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
There are actually some pretty good 5W30 HDEOs, Mobil Delvac 1 comes to mind-wonder why they made the change? Engine failures?

Rumor has it dealers were mixing up and putting in regular pennzoil 5W30. However FCA feels so strongly about it a whole yard of Ram's in detroit are waiting for oil changes before being shipped. So they must see an issue with C3 Oil. 2015 Had an unusual amount of engine failures reported.

I've used Delvac 1 LE 5W30, and I think that is the right oil to use, it is around 800-1000 zinc/phos, lower than most CJ4 oils, most likely contains PAO basestock. I believe Delvac1 LE oil was for ACEA E6 spec only used for a few european truck mfg's? MAN and MTU Catagory 3.1.

However while that information is great, FCA has a contract with Pennzoil/Shell to offer their lubricants, and drove the use of Rotella T6 as the dealership's recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
There were some reports of bottom end failures. This change is for both higher viscosity and an increase in SAPS, so that makes sense to me.

Smart move, I guess the "engineers" rethought the oil selection and found a better option. You beat them to the punch. I wonder if the 5W30 was CAFE driven, and not up to the chore in the Eco-diesel engine? Pretty much everything is for CAFE and EPA considerations.

Yep. CAFE strikes again, engineers come back for the win.

Last edited:
Better run that 85w-140 in it. No reason to run anything light in any engine.

Lots of OTR 18 wheeler diesels run full "throttle" on 10w-30 diesel oil no problem. Apparently FCA spec'd cheap engines.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Better run that 85w-140 in it. No reason to run anything light in any engine.

Lots of OTR 18 wheeler diesels run full "throttle" on 10w-30 diesel oil no problem. Apparently FCA spec'd cheap engines.

lol.gif
Good one...I've got some baby oil for the new Ferrari.

Seriously though agree on the OTR guys; maybe FCA did do something cheap. Not saying a lighter weight won't work in many applications, but going too light has bad results especially if the engine is designed around a heavier oil.

I did a little search on problems with the Eco-diesel. I saw a fairly recent article about cam gear failure, which the oil is not going to address.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I did a little search on problems with the Eco-diesel. I saw a fairly recent article about cam gear failure, which the oil is not going to address.

Thats just one problem. Not the only problem.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Smart move, I guess the "engineers" rethought the oil selection and found a better option. You beat them to the punch. I wonder if the 5W30 was CAFE driven, and not up to the chore in the Eco-diesel engine? Pretty much everything is for CAFE and EPA considerations.

Yep. CAFE strikes again, engineers come back for the win.

No the bean counters won, they say what cost less. Is it cheaper to fix the engines or pay the EPA fine(for mileage) and use the right oil so the engine lives.
Its the bean counter, always has been.

ROD

Pretty much everything is for CAFE and EPA considerations.

Yes, pretty much. In this case it seems the better choice came later on. I'd love to know what prompted the change. [/quote]I would guess the thicker oil adds a margin of safety over a lighter grade.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434

Thats just one problem. Not the only problem.

Yes only one problem, there are others. I don't think moving up a grade is going to help with the cam gear failure issue though. It makes me wonder what kind of testing engines go through before they end up in consumer's driveways.

How much difference is there between C3 and CJ-4 anyway? not much anyway.

I chose a similar approach for my engine: C2 oil required, but I chose a light A3/B4. Ive found that C3 oils are only up to the task in perfect conditions so have questions with the statement that they offer the same protection and durability as A3/B oils, but with less saps.

Cam gear failure? Are you joking? There may be three of these supposed "cam gear slippage" issues. It is such a low failure mode that it isn't worth talking about.

The real problems are with rods and crankshafts breaking along with spun bearings. Not sure which comes first, the bearing failing or the crank breaking.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/9493-poll-catastrophic-failures.html
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1...e-failures.html

There is no real way to know the failure rates. There are some failures, but I wouldn't call it an epidemic. I certainly wouldn't call the engines junk or garbage etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back