Picked up a low mileage 4.8 for the Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Gen III LR4 4.8 today from a friend of mine with 40K. Pan to intake with harness and PCM. I am going carbed LS in my Regal for this year. Plan to spray it next year, which at that point will have a different rear end in it. Don't want to push the weak 7.5 too much as it is.

The Plan is:
Proform 750 Race Carb
Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake
4.8 LS with Brian Tooley Dual Valve Springs
ARP Hardened pushrods
700R4 with a TransGo 3-2-1 Shift kit
Have boat loads of fun

Want to spin it to 6,500, plan on running Rotella T 15W-40.

Some pics of the motor, looks super clean.

3CepYWo.jpg

8QOqIfT.jpg

LSX > *

Easier than having to have spark plug wires everywhere. Better spark with shorter spark plug wires.

They mount very nicely with a bracket on each valve cover. I like how these look a lot.

Those coils are capable of alot i read of a guy pushing 1200 hp in a twinturbo 5.7 and the ONLY thing stock on the engine was the coils.
So unless you dont like the color dont go buy flashy colored ones expecting more hp lol.
How does one have a carb on one of those series engines. Do you have some sort of stand alone ignition box to do the spark?
Its not like you have a hole to put a distributor in.
If it were me i like efi so my personal preference would allways be efi.
150 tunes seems to do good work reflashing the [censored] out of the pcm aswell as cutting down you engine harness.
But my love of efi runs deep my 1971 volvo was d jetronic efi.

Yeah, merkava is stuck in the 70's if he didn't know those were coils. brother specializes in rebuilding these and 5.3 and 6.0's. he is putting a 6.0 in his 71' c-10 here shortly
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pdxglocker9mm
Those coils are capable of alot i read of a guy pushing 1200 hp in a twinturbo 5.7 and the ONLY thing stock on the engine was the coils.
So unless you dont like the color dont go buy flashy colored ones expecting more hp lol.
How does one have a carb on one of those series engines. Do you have some sort of stand alone ignition box to do the spark?
Its not like you have a hole to put a distributor in.
If it were me i like efi so my personal preference would allways be efi.
150 tunes seems to do good work reflashing the [censored] out of the pcm aswell as cutting down you engine harness.
But my love of efi runs deep my 1971 volvo was d jetronic efi.

Yes, there are boxes that will just run the coil packs and leave the fueling up to a carb. Very common.

WAAAAYYY over carb'd. Try a 600-650 max if you want any manners at all. And strictly dual plane manifold if available. Otherwise you'll have no torque at all until it's very wound up.

That 4.8 is an excellent motor, 6500 is nothing to it.

You need a cam, man!

Looking forward to this project! I want to swap in a 4.8 and T56 in the S10 when its motor goes. The little 4 banger can't go up the 14% mountain all too well...

Sounds pretty cool. If I was repowering something I'd be tempted to use a 4.8 2WD setup. No AFM, DI, VVT. Meaning it ought to be simple(r)--and cheaper, as everyone knows the 4.8 is lo-po, and prices it as such. Just find a rotted out pickup, take what I needed, junk the rest.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
4.8, like the truck engine?

4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 are all basically same engine with minor variations. The 4.8 is blissfully free of AFM tech, too...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
WAAAAYYY over carb'd. Try a 600-650 max if you want any manners at all. And strictly dual plane manifold if available. Otherwise you'll have no torque at all until it's very wound up.

That 4.8 is an excellent motor, 6500 is nothing to it.

You need a cam, man!

You beat me to it. He's feeding less than 300 cubic inches of engine, so unless this thing is going to be an extremely radical engine, stay with a model 4150 600 cfm carb.

Keep the fuel injection that's already on the engine. You can get wiring harnesses for doing the swap. Also, a cam swap is easy on these engines and everybody does one. But again, injection is the way to go.

I had been thinking a 4.8 would be great in a S10 (or Colorado before they became loaded). But GM apparantly always able to do neat stuff they can mass produce.

Dodge put a 360 in the Dakota around the century mark. I raced a guy with one and we were pretty close (6spd LT1).

Maybe we would act a fool and wreck em. So they have to reserve big power for high dollar cars.. But Japan can sell 3 pounds per one horsepower superbikes.

I had an idea about this since we are in the electrical technology era. When you go in for your required services, the dealership(writer, mechanic, etc) can see how things are going to see if you canunlock the next level fuel map. Maybe make a trackday certificate with a passing grade a requirement. But then again, they let Challengers and Corvettes out the door with 600hp right onto the street. So apparently the DOT, NHTSA, EPA, CAFE do not care.

If you like the car because itis cool, then get it but make there be a switch only the tech nspection can switch nto track mode and back into street mode when done for the weekend.

This way, everybody has fun and nobody gets hurt and trouble never gets a chance to rear its ugly head.

As far as your 4800. I bet it would sound great at high rpms. Maybe you could build it so it would run 6000rpm all day without much oil burning.

Max power 6500-6800
Redline 7000
Cutoff/limiter 7200
Cruise at 80mph in to gear 2800-3000

.???? Just some made up numbers

If your regal had a 200r4 I would just get that built. They hold up fine and if you are going to do highway cruising, the overdrive gear is better than on the 700R4. The 700R4 is however blessed with a lower first gear, but you may not need or want that depending what your differential gearing is.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Can't they think of some place else to put them ? My Buick has a nice little platform for all 3 coils to sit.

Your Buick also has an older 80's era waste spark ignition. The coil on plug, or in this case coil near plug is more efficient and clutters the compartment less. And as mentioned you don't have to fool around with long wires anymore. Places make relocation kits or covers to hide them. Holley I know sells covers that make it look more like an old Big Block valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back