Car stereo choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 007
RetroSound Newport DIN 1.5 Radio iPod Bluetooth GM 260-660?

That is a cool looking radio and would look like OEM in your dash. Crutchfield sells it and it might be a good idea to buy from them just for the sake of their technical support if you run into any problems with the installation.

I've been following this thread and purchased a pioneer unit for my 97 Avalon and the recommendation to purchase the trim popping tools is the best advice on this thread. Spent about $15 on a set and convinced it saved loads of time and frustration not to mention the trim itself. Once again the proper tools make all the difference.

Ordered this; button colors are configurable. I like black lettering on white background aka normal LCD panel rather than the disco colored LED displays that plague after market radios. This one is going in the 1999 Camry and if everything works good, I am getting another one for 1999 Odyssey. As you could have guessed, I purchased it from Crutchfield. I have never done a stereo install before so this is going to be my first. The only thing which I am little bit unsure at this stage is how to get the microphone cable inside the A-pillar and routing it under the dash. Everything else I know how to do and don't think would run in to any issues.

main_img.jpg

My requirement was ability to pair many phones and ability to simultaneously connect two phones. I also wanted audio streaming with song name display and iphone navigation audio pre-empting the source. Rest of the features were gravy.

I was sorely tempted to try $20 cheapie from China which would have given me BT+Streaming+FM+USB but I don't think I would have got the song name or iphone navigation breaking through the source.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Ordered this; button colors are configurable. I like black lettering on white background aka normal LCD panel rather than the disco colored LED displays that plague after market radios. This one is going in the 1999 Camry and if everything works good, I am getting another one for 1999 Odyssey. As you could have guessed, I purchased it from Crutchfield. I have never done a stereo install before so this is going to be my first. The only thing which I am little bit unsure at this stage is how to get the microphone cable inside the A-pillar and routing it under the dash. Everything else I know how to do and don't think would run in to any issues.

main_img.jpg

My requirement was ability to pair many phones and ability to simultaneously connect two phones. I also wanted audio streaming with song name display and iphone navigation audio pre-empting the source. Rest of the features were gravy.

I was sorely tempted to try $20 cheapie from China which would have given me BT+Streaming+FM+USB but I don't think I would have got the song name or iphone navigation breaking through the source.

Did you but the refurb unit or new from Crutchfield as I believe they sell both.

Funny, I recall when double DIN radios were the exception.

Now, after browsing online offerings it seems like they are becoming the norm.

I ordered the new one. I did not notice the refurb marine one at that time. They do have the similar 970 model (but NOT marine) available as refurb with 90 day warranty instead of 1 year warranty for $20 discount. For my next radio, I might consider that one but in the big picture the twenty dollars would be money well spent if I don't have to deal with a scratched face-plate etc. In my mind the discount is not worth the disadvantages.

Yesterday night I practiced removing the OEM stereo from the dash. At home I used scrap 18 gauge wire and did soldering and heat shrink tubing to make sure my skills are adequate.

I really liked the features of the JVC units but there seemed to be too many current year refurbs out there when compared to Pioneer and other companies.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When the stereo in my mom's '88 MR2 gave out, I went and bought her one as an early Christmas present.

I looked at the brand names, I looked on Crutchfield, etc...

.. and ultimately based on features, reviews, looks, and bang for the buck, I ended up buying her this one:

91ze5mPGC4L._SL1500_.jpg

CD player, MP3, USB, Bluetooth, radio.. detachable face. And it actually has decent power and sounds good.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-870DBI-Double-DIN-Bluetooth-Detachable/dp/B0072LB27U/

You didn'ts ay if your stereo was double DIN, but based on the year, I'm guessing it is. Give that one a look

What do you think about this unit? I'm look at replacing the factory headunit in my 2002 Outback. I have no use for Bluetooth (still have a flip phone)but I would like to hook up my ipod or a USB instead of hauling a book of cds around.

Completed the installation of JVC R97MBS in the Camry. It did longer than I had thought but I was quite slow and methodical in preparing harness as you can see from the pictures. I still made a mistake in installing the radio as I got no FM or AM stations.

Notice the color coded heat shrinks!
mqBCd8J.jpg

Nice spiral wrap
y4Crsky.jpg

OK; here are the gripes about this stereo (I have a feeling all after markets ones would be similar)

Can not get apple map directions to break through if other source is playing; google map does though.
Siri Eyes Free works as long as she understand my accents but for the Siri direction prompts, I have to keep it on BT audio as described in the previous line.
CD reader is flaky and gives up on a recently burnt CD right in the middle of it. It also did not read UDF burnt CD.
USB MP3 sticks without ID tag shows MS-DOS 6.3 file names!
18 presets is a lie; only 6 are essentially usable. JVC does not have FM1/MF2/FM3; that programmer should be shot.
no real scan of radio or cd or usb etc
every pause in the stream leads to "reading ..." of at least few seconds whether it is on CD or on USB. Don't these guys know how to save the context to memory? But I was shocked that removing and reinserting the USB stick started playing from the last point which I never expected.

I have looked at user manuals of $250 radios and all seem to be suffering from similar issues.

Don't get me wrong; I am really very happy but the engineer in me absolutely detests the developers who either don't test their code or just mail in their efforts.

Solder with color matched shrink wrap! I did not want the fat butt connectors bunched up in the middle so I had decided to solder them.

JVC gives you lots of features for the price such as BT automatic pairing with USB connection, ability to remember 10 pairing and two simultaneous phones and one BT audio at the same time, Siri Eyes Free control, RDS for radio station, OEM looking black lettering on white LCD (color can be changed), decent microphone, decent tuner in terms of its ability to pull in stations, 1.5A charging USB port with ability to set it as charging only port etc. I am not an audiophile but the audio quality is at least as good as what I had before, most likely it is much better. It has literally dozens of esoteric settings for tailoring the sound but I do wish it had simple bass/treble/fader/balance for us who are audiophobic.

The most difficult question that I am facing is do I order the same one for my van or go with a different brand?

Last edited:
Oh well, it does not handle multiple iPhone pairing the way I had expected it to handle.

It connects the previously connected iPhone (before car was turned off) almost instantly which is great. But another driver drives the car and his phone is the list of the known and paired phones, it just does not connect to it on its own. I know my Acura is like that too although I expected JVC aftermarket to do better as it is a newer unit.

Am I expecting too much? If I am the only person in the car, it should use my phone as BT device. If my wife is driving, it should use her phone etc. Why do these guys not do the most logical thing?

Is Pioneer going to be better?

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When the stereo in my mom's '88 MR2 gave out, I went and bought her one as an early Christmas present.

I looked at the brand names, I looked on Crutchfield, etc...

.. and ultimately based on features, reviews, looks, and bang for the buck, I ended up buying her this one:

91ze5mPGC4L._SL1500_.jpg

CD player, MP3, USB, Bluetooth, radio.. detachable face. And it actually has decent power and sounds good.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-870DBI-Double-DIN-Bluetooth-Detachable/dp/B0072LB27U/

You didn'ts ay if your stereo was double DIN, but based on the year, I'm guessing it is. Give that one a look

What do you think about this unit? I'm look at replacing the factory headunit in my 2002 Outback. I have no use for Bluetooth (still have a flip phone)but I would like to hook up my ipod or a USB instead of hauling a book of cds around.

I actually have been extremely impressed with it. It's been installed in my mom's car for a few years now, and has worked wonderfully for her. Everything just works. I have had the opportunity to use my USB sticks with it, as well as the Bluetooth from my phone, many times, without any problems. For the price, you simply just can't beat it.

When I first bought it, I really wasn't sure about it.. but I figured it was worth giving it a try, and I am very happy I did. If I ever have to replace another double-din stereo in my car or that of a family member, I would not hesitate to get another one of these.

Are you telling me that Boss will hook up to your phone and when your mom drives the car, it will automatically hook up to her phone without she having to lift a finger? I would have never thought an off-brand would be able to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back