Purchased First Set of Michelin Defender LTX's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most recent Ram acquisition came to me with 35" mud tires on it. Not the worst mud tires in the world, but still enough to annoy me.

For the rest of my vehicles, I have been sourcing the old LTX MS/2 supply, but no such thing still available for 20" wheels, so I dipped into unknown waters and decided to try the new Defender LTX tires.

I've heard mixed reviews, but am hoping I will get the same experience I have had with the old LTX tires I have been using on almost everything.

So far I seem to be getting the typical LTX experience. Quiet, grip for days, and smooth rolling. Jury will be out for a while on durability.

If all goes well, I will be utilizing these tires throughout the rest of my fleet.

Anyone already running these?

I've had them on the truck for about 10,000 miles now. Snow, rain, dry, and done some towing. All around I love the tires, seem to be wearing really well so far anyway. They are a little louder than the OEM tires but nothing that you notice if you don't really pay attention. At this point I plan on getting another set in the future.

We have them on our 2011 Acadia and love them. Quiet, smooth ride and great handling/grip. Just hope to get more that 35k out of them. Seems that is the longest we can get out of a set of tires on our Acadia.

I put a set on our Durango earlier this year. I can't speak for snow traction yet, but all around handling in spring and summer conditions have been great.

The DTD rep I talked to said the Defender is basically the same as.)and is replacement for) the LTX M/S2. The LTX is getting discontinued....

Aaaah, those LTX MS2's have been our 'go to' tire for a long time! I didn't even know they have been dropped.

Let's hope those Defenders can get it done...

I should have been more specific. It's a 2007.5 Ram 6.7 diesel 4x4, but a 2500 and automatic, as opposed to my 3500, which is the same, but stickshift.

Oli20: Good to hear. Noise doesn't bother me much. I can't even tell there's a diesel engine under the hood with the doors shut and the windows up, so I never expected the LTX to be noisy enough to be heard. These have not disappointed in that aspect. I'm just wondering about long term durability, as I have read a lot of mixed reviews.

Rat407: I've been dumping SUV-style tires for LTX's for years, and received far greater tire life as a result. If these are as good as the old LTX MS/2's, I'd expect you'll get a lot more than 35k out of them. My Navigator has been going more than 40k miles on its MS/2's, and hard to tell they weren't recently installed. I do stay on top of my rotation and balance like an East German spy, however.

Pop_Rivit: Good to hear. I'm not terrible concerned about snow traction, as I rarely go up North with my own vehicles, but the rest is encouraging.

Kuato: Yeah, it's one of those situations that just gives me the itch. Screwing up on one set of tires does not concern me. Screwing up on my whole fleet would be a disaster. In total, that would amount to about a $50,000 mistake; assuming $1100 installed per SRW, and $1600 installed per DRW. The LTX MS/2's have been such a blessing. I hope the Defenders will deliver just as well.

SteveSRT8: Same here! Nothing worse than when a fleet-wide product of appreciable expense suddenly changes it's formula. I'm not anywhere near having to do another truck just yet, so I hope to get the necessary data before I do. Going to have to see to it that this truck takes a beating as frequently as possible to see how they do. I did a haulout from our area's most algae loaded ramp today in 2WD, and these tires delivered. Sucked her right out, where the mud tires failed to haul out an empty trailer alone in 2WD. Traction on point.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
The DTD rep I talked to said the Defender is basically the same as.)and is replacement for) the LTX M/S2. The LTX is getting discontinued....
In a chat session on michelinman.com, I was told the same thing. I asked for a comparison and contrast among the LTX M/S2, Defender LTX M/S, and Latitude Tour for a 2008 F150. He wouldn't comment on the Latitude ... maybe because it is Jeep OE?. Strongly recommended the Defender ... which I bought from DT on July 2 with 100 rebate. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back