Microsoft Greed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read where Microsoft will be charging a monthly fee for W10 users. At present, Users of W10 who installed the free option (till July 29), will be grandfathered for awhile.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I just read where Microsoft will be charging a monthly fee for W10 users. At present, Users of W10 who installed the free option (till July 29), will be grandfathered for awhile.

Hogwash. It will begin an option for large enterprise users to pay a $7/month/seat rather than an upfront licensing cost. It doesn't impact consumer pricing plans.

Get your facts straight.

The information I read indicates that the pricing model only applies to enterprises, and that there are currently no plans to extend it to the consumer edition.

Pop beat me to it....

Last edited:
Its nothing of real concern, in fact I predict windows 10 to be free in perpetuity. It has been downgraded to the likes of android when it comes to importance. When was the last time someone paid for an android OS?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Rand
where did you read this rumor?

+1 - they cannot change terms if you own it. Maybe new installs. They do it for Office.

You never own anything when you "purchase" software: You're buying a *license to use* the software, not ownership of it. That license is usually subject to change; although I have never heard of anyone ever selling a customer a license, then begin charging that same customer a monthly fee to use that same software. As people have pointed out so far on this thread, that is not what Microsoft is doing, anyhow.

I think, though, that we will see a lot more software providers moving towards monthly usage payment models. The providers can take some additional measures against piracy this way and, depending on the software and their distribution model, may even be able to centralize the operation of that software.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Its nothing of real concern, in fact I predict windows 10 to be free in perpetuity. It has been downgraded to the likes of android when it comes to importance. When was the last time someone paid for an android OS?

Android is open-source and Linux-based. I am not sure anyone could get very far trying to charge anything for free (as in both "no cost" and as in " freedom ") software. Windows may someday be free as in "no cost" but I highly doubt it will ever respect the user's freedom .

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Android is open-source and Linux-based. I am not sure anyone could get very far trying to charge anything for free (as in both "no cost" and as in " freedom ") software. Windows may someday be free as in "no cost" but I highly doubt it will ever respect the user's freedom .

The best attempt at anti piracy microsoft has tried was to blacklist windows loader (or Spico) via defender, which is a half hearted non attempt. Plus they dont even try to block windows update. My conclusion is they dont care that their OS is pirated. In short, it is actually free today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1
That's for Windows 10 Enterprise E3 to big business.

Does any big business use it? We moved off xp in 2014 and now onto win 7. Roughly 400k users. The balance 100k is Mac and Linux and that is climbing.

Last edited:
I was just forwarding MS information-Gee. MS is already charging home owners a fee for using Office? and the information I read suggested that MS may very well do the same for W10 in the future but, would grandfather those who signed up for the free upgrade. So you naysayers, read the complete article and stop trying to kill the messenger and get your facts correctedf. My information came from FORBS.com as posted on the Yahoo web site. Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoff all you want but the writing is on the wall. If not win10 then win11 ...Subscription based OS and applications are coming. Maybe Win11 will be free subscription if you say OK to being tied to their app store.

"They" believe a stand alone computer with locally loaded apps is a dinosaur concept. In their new virtualized world concept everything is cloud based, globally accessible and instantly serviced. ...When SkyNet becomes self aware you're gonna want an IBM XT with system V and a hard line handy. :)

...So you naysayers, read the complete article and stop trying to kill the messenger and get your facts correctedf...

You did not post a link to any article.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Wait so, MS should provide all their software free?

I don't think that's the assertion at all. But, if someone doesn't like their business model, they should go elsewhere. I don't mind proprietary software (pay or otherwise), if it's necessary or is an improvement; both those scenarios are exceedingly rare, of course. But, I generally can get along just fine without anything that Microsoft provides, so I do so. I don't approve of Microsoft's products. I don't care about their business model much in one way or the other, aside from them charging large dollars for an inferior product.

I was just forwarding MS information-Gee. MS is already charging home owners a fee for using Office? and the information I read suggested that MS may very well do the same for W10 in the future but, would grandfather those who signed up for the free upgrade. So you naysayers, read the complete article and stop trying to kill the messenger and get your facts correctedf. My information came from FORBS.com as posted on the Yahoo web site smart A.. Ed

Microsoft OFFERS a subscription service for Office, so you always have the latest version.

OR

You can buy the current version for a one-time fee, just like you have always been able to.

They are now extending this to OS's in the enterprise realm and it really isn't a bad concept. They have to make money to exist, a subscription model isn't really a bad idea for businesses cycling through releases.

I was just forwarding MS information-Gee. MS is already charging home owners a fee for using Office? and the information I read suggested that MS may very well do the same for W10 in the future but, would grandfather those who signed up for the free upgrade. So you naysayers, read the complete article and stop trying to kill the messenger and get your facts correctedf. My information came from FORBS.com as posted on the Yahoo web site smart A.. Ed

Well if you would provide a link to the article that states they are charging for all Windows 10 users maybe people would quit calling you out.

Only article on Yahoo I can find (THIS ONE) says Windows 10 ENTERPRISE will have a subscription fee. Nothing in there about Home and Pro versions. My facts that are linked to show the opposite of what your saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back