Restore or Cera Tec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last few OCI's I have started adding Restore to our vehicles and noticed more power in the Ford Taurus (1996) and the other two vehicles I have not noticed much difference other than the oil just looks really clean every time I check it in all the vehicles. I have seen a lot of comments about Cera Tec and understand it to be more of an engine protection additive but does it also provide any form of help with engine compression. The Cera Tec seems to be something you add just the one time for engine protection purpose. The Restore recommends you use it on each oil change.

Restore is added to problem engines in hope to raise compression and slow oil burning. It was designed to fill scored cylinders, bearings, etc. It has also been reported to clog and plug up oil filters. Unless you have an engine in need of a rebuild I wouldn't touch the stuff. Ceratec is a totally different product used for a completely different purpose.

Restore turned the engine bearings black in an engine I rebuilt.Hate to see a microscopic view of the Copper/Steel/Lead shavings embedded in them.

if you are seeing results from adding this to one vehicle, then this vehicle may have enough wear on it that the addy is helping it. be advised the vehicle will likely reach a point where the addy is no longer helping it...ie the wear is advanced and warrants a repair of worn parts.

i would not use it in an engine not at that stage of wear. also you may try a thicker oil first before the addy.

there is a thread on this website, where a member used it to quiet a noisey timing chain i believe. if i find it i will add a link to it.

Restore got put on the same consideration as Ceratec? Wow...If its older and you like the feeling of a Restore product,use Liquimoly Mos2 and Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver together. Restore seems to clog filters and has been noted and questioned about how it reacts to yellow metals.

No idea what Restore contains, but Ceratec contains both MOS2 and Boron Nitride (Hexagonal form). I don't think the Moly is needed if your oil already contains enough of it.

LM say it lasts upto 30K km, BUT that's only if you do not change the oil.

Thanks guys for all your help . I will be trying the Liquimoly or Ceratec on my next oil change as I just keep seeing such good comments about their products.

I have Ceratec in my 2001 Forester with 213K, and my 2011 Fusion 2.5 with 90k. Since neither has had a UOA sample done since putting it in, I can't give hard numbers yet. However, some subjective responses:

Forester did not really show any smoothness improvements, but then again, with Rotella T6 or PP 5W-40 and a hot idle, it was nearly impossible to hear/feel it anyways. So unless UOA comes back much better, I'd say it was of no real benefit in this application. Car does consistently turn in 27.5+mpg for a full tank, which is slightly better than most tanks before Ceratec, which were usually between 26.8-27.2mpg.

Fusion has definitely improved feel, idle now does not shake quite as badly, although there still is some vibration. Mileage has improved noticeably on straight highway driving, around 1-1.5mpg for long drives. Mixed driving over a full tank is returning about 0.8-1.0 mpg better than before Ceratec. As far as wear in this case, I knew going in that it would be nearly impossible for Ceratec to improve things, as all wear metals have consistently been low single digits on 11-13k oil changes. To see if the Ceratec really works, I am going for a 17k interval this time, since Blackstone has repeatedly said 13k is definitely doable. TBN has always been at least 2.2@12k, so I feel confident it should show good results. This run with Ceratec was paired with PPHM 5W-20 and the 41516 Napa Platinum filter (oversized).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back