Hoosier dirt tires say not for hwy use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top fuel dragster tires are not approved for street use, either - yet they can handle 0-300 mph in just a few seconds.

Short answer: No, you should not press your luck.

HTH

It really means Hoosier didn't get them DOT certified, so they've never been tested. That's all "not for highway use" tells you. They are made for a 1400lb car and to run low pressures so I don't think that translates well to a heavy street car and 32psi. Also what car do you have that can run 15" rims 15" wide?

From a legal perspective, this is a great big NO!!

If something bad were to happen and you were involved in an accident - and even if the tires did not cause the accident, a sharp lawyer will take one look at the tires and construct a case around a) how the tires were somehow at fault and because they aren't DOT legal, you must be negligent, or b) that this proves you are just an irresponsible person and liklely at fault, or c) some other storyline involving the illegal tires.

WARNING: D.O.T. labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.

Coming from Hoosier themselves, that would be enough to dissuade me.

I've read where these tires are popular with hot rodders for the look you get. So far, I've just run them around town. Haven't got on the hwy yet.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Why would they disintegrate?

ULTRA soft tread compounding (YES, even their 'harder' compounds!), VERY VERY thin, lightweight sidewalls/carcass, with minimal, lightweight belting, the combination of which will pick up EVERY SINGLE piece of sharp 'road shrapnel' which will then puncture that said very thin carcass, resulting in a QUICK flat/blowout, and possible loss of; control, property, and most importantly, LIFE.
31.gif

Even IF the above did not happen, they would last MAYBE 1000 miles to the cords (IF you're very lucky), especially on a heavier street car, and the highly siped, very soft tread blocks would 'chunk' right off the contact patch on hot, dry asphalt.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I've read where these tires are popular with hot rodders for the look you get. So far, I've just run them around town. Haven't got on the hwy yet.

They might last a while on a T-Bucket. No way would I run them on anything approaching a regular street car.

Just what exact model tire are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back