Weather Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Toto
Not saying those aren't good choices but for fun go to ccrane.com to review more options.
TOTO

I will! Not heard of them.
Thanks!

I have a C.Crane + radio. I uses 4 D-batteries and powers an external light. Has Am, Fm, Tv (obsolete) and all the weather bands. Excellent sound & reception all around. Plus, you can plug your MP3 player/phone into it and play music through it. Very versatile and built well.

you will never go wrong with the sangean.......wow the quality.........put it on a good surge supressor (ZeroSurge is the only one I use).......set the S A M E codes.......and you are set.......mine has been running 24/7 for years...........I was so impressed I bought two more and have them in the hall closet in their original boxes....unopened.......I plan to use these units for the rest of my life...............they are that good............

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
you will never go wrong with the sangean.......wow the quality.........put it on a good surge supressor (ZeroSurge is the only one I use).......set the S A M E codes.......and you are set.......mine has been running 24/7 for years...........I was so impressed I bought two more and have them in the hall closet in their original boxes....unopened.......I plan to use these units for the rest of my life...............they are that good............

Thanks, I am leaning that way, plus it doubles as a clock radio.

Of those two I'd go for the Sangean because I've had good luck with Sangean radios.
Although I have a couple dedicated weather radios, usually when I want to tune in and listen to one or so weather channels/stations, I usually use my handheld HAM radios. Not only do they pick up the weather channels, they pick up a lot more (depending on radio make/model) and since they are HAM radios the local SkyWarn repeater. Anyone can listen, but to talk/transmit simplex or repeaters, HAM license is required which the lowest entry Tech license gets one into the repeaters UHF/VHF. Many radios go out of the VHF range to get police, fire etc., all depending whats used in the area. Many police will have a system (i.e. trunked) which those radios don't work for that.
My mobile unit (Yaesu 7900R) also gets the weather channels when on the road.
What my hand held HAM radios don't do is have weather alert feature, so I have to tune in when I want to listen to the weather broadcasts.
My most portable unit is a Yaesu VX-2R. Slips easy in the shirt pocket or clips to belt/pants. All my hand held units have aftermarket antenna's for better transmit/receive.
I'd have to look but I think my big portable CCrane radios have weather features.
If I lived elsewhere (I'm in Calif.) I'd have the S.A.M.E feature, depending where I live for bad weather areas. I probably have that on one or more of my CCrane radios. Just don't use those radios but on rare occasions (size).

I have been happy with Sangean radios. Gets my vote. Shop around, I think CCrane is pricey.If you don't want to spend much, I also have a Midland which works good too.

Last edited:
Sangean CL100 is a real good choice. I just ordered a Midland 120EZ , also a good choice for someone who doesn`t want to spend too much.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
That was fast, it arrives tomorrow.

Hopefully, it won't get a big workout. Mine has been going nuts lately, doing its job.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
That was fast, it arrives tomorrow.

Hopefully, it won't get a big workout. Mine has been going nuts lately, doing its job.

I hope it wont either. In a heat wave here now.
It arrived today!! Now to program it.

Last edited:
Chiefsfan , Let us know how the Sangean works out for you after you get it all set up and running for awhile. Jim

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Chiefsfan , Let us know how the Sangean works out for you after you get it all set up and running for awhile. Jim

Will do.
So far it seems like a well built unit. Programming is fairly straight forward.
still have to finish, but I have the basics in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back