Thoughts on Mann filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey - I saw on rockauto I can buy the equivalent of PF52 filter for 2.42. I know they are big with European cars with extended drains but I wasn't sure if anybody has any experience with these and are they a worth while stockup? I run my Equinox on the OLM which is between 6-8k

Depends on the application, I guess. For the European applications, they are quality filters. I use them. But for other applications, they may be rebadged Purolators (Mann acquired Puroloator) and quality can be questionable.

There are 2 oil filter types: spin-on and cartridge.

Mann cartridge oil filters are usually very high quality for European vehicles.

Mann spin-on oil filters are mix-bags, the black ones made in Germany for older European vehicles that used spin-on filter are very good, the white ones are most of the times re-bagged Purolators, and these are not so good.

My Oldsmobile uses the PF52, and that Mann filter is made by Purolator. Not sure what the internals are like, but I do think the internals would be like the PureOne because they were priced about the same. The German made Mann are excellent, and that's what I use on my Volvo 240.

The Mann ML-series filters are reboxed Purolator Classics and not that great.

However, the REAL European Mann filters (part numbers starting with HU for cartridges, and W for the cans) are awesome filters.

If you stack an Advance Auto coupon code with say a $5 Speed Perks reward, you can get a 1/2 dozen of ACDelco PF52 Classic(no ecore) for less than $3.00 each.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Mann spin-on oil filters are mix-bags, the black ones made in Germany for older European vehicles that used spin-on filter are very good, the white ones are most of the times re-bagged Purolators, and these are not so good.

I've seen both black and white Mann filters that are actually made in the US at a Purolator plant. The big giveaway is the tell-tale Purolator design: they don't weld the gasket retention plate to the thread plate -- they stake it over the thread plate. Under the gasket you won't find the spot-weld marks you'll find on virtually every other brand (FRAM, NAPA/Wix, Baldwin, etc).

I'd 1000000% prefer a weld over a press-fit type of union!

The Puro-made oil filters are usually pretty light and thin like a FRAM/Wix. The EU-made Manns are generally built like tanks and cost a lot more.

Last edited:

Color of the can is NOT an indicator of the quality! There are some US-made ML Purolator clones that are black with silver writing. There are also real German Mann cans that are white with green writing.

Don't go by the can color. Go by the part number and country of origin.

Originally Posted By: DudeNiceRide

I've seen both black and white Mann filters that are actually made in the US at a Purolator plant. The big giveaway is the tell-tale Purolator design: they don't weld the gasket retention plate to the thread plate -- they stake it over the thread plate. Under the gasket you won't find the spot-weld marks you'll find on virtually every other brand (FRAM, NAPA/Wix, Baldwin, etc).

I'd 1000000% prefer a weld over a press-fit type of union!

The Puro made oil filters are usually pretty light and thin like a FRAM/Wix. The EU-made Manns are generally built like tanks and cost a lot more.

Purolator has the gasket retention plate extend over the inlet holes and is also pressed into the inlet holes. Under the plate is adhesive to bond to the tapping plate. The retention plate is crimped to the can also, it's very strong. The Puro baseplate assembly is also quite a bit heavier than a wix etc in standard sizes. I have some cut open here and that's how I can make these comments.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
If the original Volvo Filter (W917 made in Germany i think) is made by Mann that is a good quality oil filter.

Yes, that is a real German Mann
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back