2015-16 Mazda 6 Real World Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently considering a 2015-16 Mazda 6 and was curious if any member here has one and what kind of reviews would you give it?

I don't have any Mazda vehicle but from reading reviews from actual owners I think all of them are very happy with their Mazda, from sedans such as Mazda 3 and 6 to CX3, CX5 ...

Also, Mazda 6 is a unanimous winner in any contest with other cars in the same class such as Accord, Camry, Sonata ...

Don't have a Mazda6, but I just bought a 2016 Mazda3 two weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

Any specific areas you're interested in knowing more about?

In my research it seemed that Mazda's driving dynamics, fuel economy, reliability, features, and styling (interior and exterior) were really top-notch.

Well I'm not sure what can be said regarding reliability on a 1 year old vehicle, but here are my impressions after a couple hundred miles of driving my 2016 Mazda3.

-Definitely the best-handling car I've ever driven - takes corners really well, no drama. Not jarring over bumps either.
-It feels really high-quality inside. I have to remind myself that I'm driving a Mazda and not an Audi or something.
-The entertainment system works really well - I like the console-mounted knobs, they're very easy to use while driving. Much better than either a touch screen or even traditional dash-mounted knobs. It does have a touch screen, but I rarely use it.
-Mine has a manual transmission, which is also really nice. Short throws, easy to modulate clutch.
-Mine also has blind-spot monitoring and a rear camera which are nice safety features.
-I'm getting around 40 mpg average so far.
-Engine is really quiet and road noise isn't too bad either.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I am currently considering a 2015-16 Mazda 6 and was curious if any member here has one and what kind of reviews would you give it?

What type of driving are you planning on using it for?
Do you want a manual transmission, or an automatic?
Is this just for yourself, or will you be loading up the car with the wife, kids, coworkers, Uber fares?

You live in Virginia, so I know you have some nice roads to drive it on, so compared to all the other mid size cars in the segment, it's the best corner carver, by far.

I've test driven it a whole bunch of times, and I love the car.
I have a CX-5, and can tell you that the engine is a great 4 cylinder engine.
Manual transmission is the best in class in the Mazda 6, and has great shift quality.

BC.

Im looking to get one for my wife who puts about 35-40 miles a day for work. Definitely an automatic and only need 1 forward facing car seat.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Im looking to get one for my wife who puts about 35-40 miles a day for work. Definitely an automatic and only need 1 forward facing car seat.

That's helpful.

The CX-5 has been very easy to service.
Access to the drain port and the oil filter is very good, so I would expect similar of the Mazda 6, just in case you service your cars yourself.
Lots of room in the engine bay for accessing standard replacement items like spark plugs and coolant.

Is your wife a leadfoot spirited driver?
While the Mazda 6 is pretty good for scooting on down the road, if she's used to a Dodge Charger SRT, for example, she might find the Mazda 6 lacking in grunt.

Also, does she like to have all the gizmos, or can she do with a nicely equipped car?
I ask this, because there's some people out there who just can't live without ventilated massaging heated rear seats, that they will never, ever sit in, but they HAVE to KNOW that their car has it. Other cars in the segment might offer a different array of toys for the driver to play with, and distract them from how the car drives.

The Mazda is more for people who want to enjoy driving.

BC.

My wife has driven everything from a Cavalier to a Charger RT. She isnt interested in too many options except remote start and backup cam.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 iTouring. It is the same car as the 2015,16.
60,000 trouble free miles. No rust issues. I do run snow tires on it in the winter.
I have 150 mile one way commute to work 3 days a week. At normal highway (65mph) speeds. I average from 35 to 38 mpg,I have seen 40 mpg on a couple tanks.
If I had anything I disliked about the car is headroom I am 6'1 and found myself hitting my head getting into the car.Once in the car headroom is okay. (had to learn to duck) haha.
The other is lack of size of the storage areas.
Center counsel storage and glove box IMO are small. Stock tires get noisy the more miles you get on them. Car rides and drives like a dream and the transmission works great.(auto)
Plenty of leg room front and back and a nice size trunk. Air conditioning and heater work just fine. Have not had any issues that required the car to be returned to the dealer for service or warranty work. Insurance is very reasonable and the safety rating are excellent. Any question just ask.

Last edited:
We looked closely at them before selecting the Accord Sport. We found the accord to be a bit stronger and more comfortable to drive. The mazda would out handle it but its just the primary baby hauler / grocery car so who cares?

Relatives very pleased with theirs and no issues.

Having driven both, it's pretty obvious to me that Mazda benchmarked off the Audi. The power is down a little and the interior not quite so hotsy totsie, but from road feel, almost identical.

Bet it's a hoot with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It didn't make Car and Driver's 10 Best List:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-10best-cars-the-winners-features-photos-and-more-feature

Also note that when you click on the Honda to read the article about it, on the right side of the article is C&D's ranking in this class of vehicle:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/honda-accord-2016-10best-cars-feature

Here are their ranks:

1 - Mazda Mazda 6
2 - Chevrolet Malibu
3 - Honda Accord
4 - Toyota Camry

Also note that Mazda is the only manufacturer two win 2 of the categories in that top 10 feature article.
If they had been honest, and gave the Mazda 6 that slot for family sedan instead of the Honda Accord, Mazda would have had 3 out of the top 10.

BC.

My brother owns a '14 Mazda 6 that currently has ~52K miles. At 30K or so, the transmission went out. At 4X,XXX, a switch for the A/C control went out. Both of these items were replaced under warranty. Keep in mind this is also a first model year car, so that could be the reason for the above mentioned issues.

Overall, he likes the car. He told me that he wishes it got better fuel economy but it's nice to drive.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Overall, he likes the car. He told me that he wishes it got better fuel economy but it's nice to drive.

What gas mileage is your brother getting, and is he driving everywhere at 80+ mph?
The Mazda 6 is one of the best in class vehicles for fuel economy.

Sorry to hear about his 2 issues with the car.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back