New Tires for the '13 Ody - Discount Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after I saw the post on the secret sale at DT on July 2nd and 3rd, it was finally time to replace the Michelin MXV4 tires that were down to the wear bars after only 43,500 miles. Because of the great experience I've had with the Falken Pro G4 tires the previous owner put on my Trex before I bought it, that is the tire I decided to put on the family truckster to the chagrin of my salesman. He was pushing hard for me to buy the Yoko YK580 which is a DT exclusive tire, probably because he'd get some type of kickback for selling them. I was set on getting the G4s, and not just because they were the least expensive option.

Scheduled my appointment for 8am when they opened on Saturday the 2nd, and since no other customers were there that early the whole crew worked on my car. They were done in less than 30 minutes, I didn't even have enough time to finish my beverage! Real quality work, too.

Then the damages - $99/tire, $68 M&B, $28 for TPMS, $12 disposal fees, less a $75 DT rebate, a $60 Car Car One Rebate, and a mileage proration on the Michelins of $232 for a final price of $132 + tax! I was pleased with the deal to say the least.

We then left for a week's vacation to the UP for the week and the tires were great. Smooth, quiet, and still gripped well on the highway that I could actually feel the difference versus the Michelins. I highly recommend the Pro G4 to anyone that asks.

Do you use them 4 seasons on the Taurus and do you plan to on the Odyssey?

Had considered that for 3rd set on our Sienna, but Cooper CS4's are still at 6/32 so I will probably wait until fall 2017. I would need a 4 season tire which I'm not sure the CS5's are.

The Michelins (or any tire for that matter) that come on a new vehicle are not as good as what you buy from a tire shop.

43,500 miles for minivan tires is great, that thing weighs 4,500 pounds.

I don't see the value in buying high end/price tires. You can usually find a lower price tire that can do the same job for less $$$. Sounds like you got a good deal.

We see the value here. Our fully dressed vans weigh in at just over 9k pounds. They wear regular radials down in 20-30k miles easy.

Michelin LTX last for 60-70k miles and only cost a bit more. Excellent value.

I have had my pickups go over 80k miles on a set. And they still drive nicely even when worn, which is where the lesser brands always show their true value...

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Do you use them 4 seasons on the Taurus and do you plan to on the Odyssey?

Had considered that for 3rd set on our Sienna, but Cooper CS4's are still at 6/32 so I will probably wait until fall 2017. I would need a 4 season tire which I'm not sure the CS5's are.

I bought the Trex in November and it was the winter performance of the Falkens that sold me on installing them on the Ody. The Michelins were not a good winter tire for the van, so I'm thinking that the Falkens will be better.

The Falken Pro G4 is also a DT exclusive
smile.gif

It is a DT private version of the Sumitomo HTR AS P02, which in turn is a variation of the Falken Ziex ZE950 with slightly different siping.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Falken Pro G4 is also a DT exclusive
smile.gif

It is a DT private version of the Sumitomo HTR AS P02, which in turn is a variation of the Falken Ziex ZE950 with slightly different sipping.

I didn't know all these things. I read on Tirerack the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 seems to be a reasonable tire for dirt cheap. But DT doesn't carry Sumitomo. Now I know this I will for Falken Pro G4 next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back