Increasing Automation Poore Driver Response Times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Industrially, it's been known for ages that if you have an operator controlling too many things, they get overwhelmed and start missing signals that should require immediate action, in the fluster of doing repetitive stuff, or information overload leading to poor processing.

It's also know that removing the operator too far from the process means that if a crisis occurs, it will take them time to get into the zone, work out what needs doing and intervene.

The bit in the middle, between becoming aware of the problem (late), then assessing and initiating proper response is often the period that disaster occurs in.

Once you reach a certain level of automation, you have to go the full nine yards, and dial the operator out of too complex operations...they are either driving it manually, or checking alarms.

Same for operators of motor vehicles...

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/inde...tion-times.html

Quote:
A recent study from psychological scientists Mark Vollrath, Susanne Schleicher, and Christhard Gelau found that cruise control and ACC systems can have both positive and negative effects on driving safety.
Previous research has shown some benefits to using cruise control systems, but there may also be some increased risks. Several studies have found that drivers using cruise control systems are more likely to obey speed limits. However, a 2013 study from the University of Strasbourg found that drivers using cruise control reported increased rates of drowsiness while driving. Thus, Vollrath and colleagues hypothesized that when drivers were using cruise control or ACC systems, they might speed less often, but would also be more distractible and less attentive to their surroundings.
The researchers used a driving simulator to see how 21 participants would adapt to using cruise control and ACC in a variety of conditions.
Participants were instructed to use the cruise control systems as often as possible while driving safely through a course that included realistic challenges, such as traffic jams, steep curves, speed limit variations, and inclement weather.
As predicted, drivers were much less likely to speed when they were using cruise control and ACC. When they were using cruise control or ACC, drivers tended to maintain speed about 5-10 km/h slower than when they were driving manually.
However, cruise control and ACC also seemed to slow drivers’ reaction times. Drivers took around 5 seconds longer to react when they needed to slow down and maneuver around obstacles like sharp curves when they were using cruise control or ACC.
There was also evidence that drivers might be relying on the automatic system to detect other cars or obstacles better than they themselves could. For example, drivers drove much faster when they encountered foggy conditions when they were supported by ACC.
But, the researchers surmise that when drivers don’t have to continuously watch and adjust the speed of the car they may become less attentive to their surroundings.
“As drivers rely on the ACC system they do not monitor the surrounding as carefully and might thus lose some of their situation awareness,” Vollrath, Schleicher, and Gelau write in the journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.

The step between manually operated cars and autonomous vehicles can't be a gradual slide to one side...it needs to remove driver involvement, and the need for the "driver" to be able to be situationally aware at all times, and be ale to power up and take over in mere seconds.

I told you "driving simulator" in a lab is a junk study.

A real study is with real drivers with real cars in real world.

This is real study:

100 or ,1000 groups of 4 drivers in 4 cars driving at the same time on real highways with varying degree of traffic congestion.

Each group has all drivers with similar age, similar physical condition, similar education, similar profession ... 2 with cruise control on and 2 with cruise control off.

Then monitoring drivers reaction to changing traffic after 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours ... up to 10 hours.

Then you will see that in real world with real drivers the ones with cruise control will react to changing traffic much faster than the ones with it off. Especially after few hours of driving.

Don't bring up junk science, junk studies. Find a real study, if can't find it then do the real study yourself.

Last edited:
Do you understand "fatigue", "restful" ?

Originally Posted By: Main.gov
You probably know that your vehicle's cruise control can be used to control the speed of your vehicle without keeping your foot on the gas pedal. This feature can be a help in preventing driver fatigue, speeding, and also help by improving fuel economy under certain conditions.

However, cruise control can cause accidents if you use it under hazardous road conditions such as on city streets, in heavy traffic, on hilly or twisty roads, on slippery wet, snowy, or icy roads.

Letting the cruise control manage the speed of your vehicle allows you to take your foot off the gas pedal and this can be restful, but remember, you still must control the vehicle by steering and braking. So, it is important for you to stay alert especially while using the cruise control. Don't let fatigue lead to a false sense of security because that can lead to a lack of attention and an accident. Keep your brain engaged when you are driving; constantly scan the road ahead for changes in traffic, obstacles, and road conditions.

http://www.maine.gov/bgs/riskmanage/tipofthemonth/tip46.htm

Originally Posted By: GMfleet.com
CC can help reduce driver fatigue during long trips.

www.gmfleet.com/.../PDFs/TechTip_1105_CruiseControl.pdf[/quote]

Again, you are TELLING the operator that THEY have to remain alert to cover emergencies, while training their brain not to be alert enough even to control the vehicle speed...that's the bit you bolded wasn't it ?

In the heirarchy of risk management, "administration" (i.e. telling someone to be safe) is very, very low in the list of things that actually work

I use CC a lot. but when I'musing that, I'm constantly scanning the distance between the cars in front, and the cars coming up behind. If I want to use cruise control effectively, I need to make sure I don't get boxed in and need to brake, or give extra gas to avoid getting boxed in. I also adjust the speed setting early on to reduce my interventions

I dedicate more of my attention to what other cars are doing. It's a lot of work, actually. It would be easier to just get in the left lane and drive faster than the rest, but also illegal.

Now, if there's no other cars, it's probably a different situation, but I haven't encountered that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I told you "driving simulator" in a lab is a junk study.

Don't bring up junk science, junk studies. Find a real study, if can't find it then do the real study yourself.

Since when government links are considered "proper" studies or science? Bring the "proper" studies you keep harping on about and then you can talk like a big boy, wearing big boy pants.
For now you seem to have a high school level of scientific and technical knowledge.

Shannow has a good point. In industry, especially the chemical industry in which I have spent my career, a significant amount of time is spent working on the very issue he pointed out. Much work goes into ensuring (hopefully) that the plant operators do not forget how to handle emergencies if the process control computers fail to cover certain scenarios. Also, mush effort is spent trying to prevent information overload of the operator and operator 'cruise control'. In the last several years, industry has spent lots of $$ (U.S. mandated risk management) to install systems that take into consideration that the operator may be asleep at the control board. Every design decision must include consideration of the operator being 'asleep at the wheel' so to speak.
As I have often been reminded over the years, although I work in the chemical industry with HUGE amounts of potential energy around me, the most dangerous part of my work day is going to and from work.
Putting the mind in 'cruise control' is the killer.
The point is: All of the conveniences and distractions of modern vehicles can easily lead to the mind going into 'cruise control'.

Last edited:
I think the automated steering is going to far at the moment. Clearly its not fail safe, but peoples personal experience seems fine and they begin to trust it and can take their eyes off the road more and more...
I'm guilty of getting into a good audiobook and not remembering the last 5 km at times, but I've still got decent visual awareness as I'm keeping my car on the road even with the cruise on. I'm on mostly straight rural 55mph roads in the daylight, so theirs not much to watch for.

Also a growing problem for the airline industry. Pilots get lulled into complacency and don't have enough knowledge of how to contend with problems when the automation goes south or functions as designed but with detrimental consequences. The autopilot has been a source of many problems because the crew was not familiar enough with the inner workings of the autopilot.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I use CC a lot. but when I'musing that, I'm constantly scanning the distance between the cars in front, and the cars coming up behind. If I want to use cruise control effectively, I need to make sure I don't get boxed in and need to brake, or give extra gas to avoid getting boxed in. I also adjust the speed setting early on to reduce my interventions

I dedicate more of my attention to what other cars are doing. It's a lot of work, actually. It would be easier to just get in the left lane and drive faster than the rest, but also illegal.

Now, if there's no other cars, it's probably a different situation, but I haven't encountered that.

I never use CC. The reason is that I want to be in full control of the car. Especially if it is winter, and although road can be dry, you never know whether you will hit ice patch. Sadly, numerous people drive with CC even when there is snow on the road.
If I feel fatigued, there is a hotel, restaurant etc.
Fore example, on Sunday morning I arrived to Denver airport where I left my car 10 days prior. Due to Jet Blue Airways efficiency, instead of 11.06pm we arrived from JFK at 03.00am. And that after flying from Sarajevo to Istanbul and then Istanbul-JFK. Tired, now I had to make 01.15hrs trip to Colorado Springs. CC would be worst thing to do in that situation, and saw numerous cars on I-25 that were on CC (you can tell how they pass car without increasing their speed at all).
I did not even have AC on. Opened all windows and panoramic roof and blasted music
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Shannow has a good point. In industry, especially the chemical industry in which I have spent my career, a significant amount of time is spent working on the very issue he pointed out. Much work goes into ensuring (hopefully) that the plant operators do not forget how to handle emergencies if the process control computers fail to cover certain scenarios. Also, mush effort is spent trying to prevent information overload of the operator and operator 'cruise control'. In the last several years, industry has spent lots of $$ (U.S. mandated risk management) to install systems that take into consideration that the operator may be asleep at the control board. Every design decision must include consideration of the operator being 'asleep at the wheel' so to speak.

It's amazing the thought that goes into a plant control room. There's a new one going in at work.

They've got soothing (greeny) type colours and distance pictures in the field of view that the operators are at when watching their screens, but turn away from the screens, and the colours are "alert" oranges/yellows.

The science is in, this stuff while subtle, works.

I agree Shannow 100%. I have hardly ever used cruise control in the last 20 plus years. I believe it dulls people's attention to their surroundings and lowers their situational awareness. I like to feel more in touch with my car's workings. It can be a challenge in maintaining a proper speed just below getting a ticket. But it does keep you on your toes. I passed two state troopers the other weekend going 79 mph in a 70 mph zone. No problems at all. It does force me to stayed focused and checking my speed a good bit. Especially on hilly terrain. I also like being able to just roll out of the throttle if I am catching slower traffic. I get out of the way of faster vehicles and watch how fast I'm catching some vehicles and watch how fast they are catching one another. This keeps me from having a problem or from having to be needlessly using the brakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I get out of the way of faster vehicles and watch how fast I'm catching some vehicles and watch how fast they are catching one another. This keeps me from having a problem or from having to be needlessly using the brakes.

that's what I do when using cruise control... the aim being not to have to intervene with either pedal.

I pretty much have to use cruise control because of how I abused my foot when I was testing telehandlers. I held the pedal to the floor about 80% of the test and stupidly did it hard, harder than necessary and now my foot has pain when I hold the accelerator too long. Feels like a tendon or something.

I usually set it for like 8 or 9 over and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
Zero tolerance for speeding here. all you get is 6% technical tolerance, so if you drive 100they write you up for 94. In the older days, and now in the less populated parts of the country, they will not give you a ticket for going 8 or 9 mph over, but those days for me are long gone.

So I drive exactly the speedlimit or less, but never over.

Well, I have driven commercially for about 3.5 decades, and I have driven 10-11 hrs a day not having CC and I much prefer having it. Now regarding automation, it is starting to get out of hand and creating the complacency thing, but I am thinking more in terms of something more than CC. Like the Tesla car in automated mode that slammed into the side of a semi truck.....

http://www.freightallkinds.com/tesla-in-...-investigating/

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, I have driven commercially for about 3.5 decades, and I have driven 10-11 hrs a day not having CC and I much prefer having it. Now regarding automation, it is starting to get out of hand and creating the complacency thing, but I am thinking more in terms of something more than CC. Like the Tesla car in automated mode that slammed into the side of a semi truck.....

http://www.freightallkinds.com/tesla-in-...-investigating/

I agree, I use CC in one of my cars, as the cops place speed cameras along that stretch...not much else, as the roads around here aren't that conducive to safe CC operation...but even then, the facts are that after long term CC operation, reaction times are slowed...think about it, with your foot on the accelerator as you assess a situation, you have already lifted a little and are hovering, while with CC, you are continuing at the same rate, and assessing before initiating action.

The big issue, and why I raised it is this "half pregnant" Tesla stuff, which disengages the driver, then gives them a warning that THEY must stay awake and alert and take over control (rather than stuff yourself under a truck).

They need to either remove the need for the operator, or provide some sort of vigilance monitoring (like say trains have) to ensure that the operator is engaged...at which point what's the point of automation ?

Ahh Jetronic you would have ZERO success in my area using cruise control. You would have to use both pedals quite a bit on Interstate 64,95 etc... too many people all going different speeds. 2I2Ls.. Idiots In Left Lane. Going way too slow or tractor trailers trying to pass one another slowly...

Maybe out on Rte 5 or Rte 60 you probably can use cruise control. But at night... beware of the deer. A LOT of them. And unlike the deer out near me on Rte 199 those deer are not used to cars passing them. Around Williamsburg on Rte 199 most of the deer are acclimated to cars going by. But out west of town they are easily skittish. I had to come to a dead stop on Rte 60 to let one cross the road.

Last edited:
Maybe I wouldn't. but it's not like it's ideal here either. which is why I can't afford a lapse in concentration, except at night.

We've got deer here aswell, but not in large quantities. still, someone died last month after his car hit a dear and he lost control, alledgedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back