Oil analysis for an LS2 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of oil filter are you running?

Also, hot oil pressure (assuming stock pump) will give you a good idea about how much wear you're equivalent too. Usually by 200,000 miles the LS engines are running about 20-24 psi at hot idle, with 5w30 oil.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Specifically, what is your involvement with this race car? Owner, driver, one of a few mechanics.

Originally Posted By: SJ073
sorry - Castrol GTX 20w50

I stand by the recommendation of Mobil 1 15w-50. When purchased in 5 quart jugs at Walmart, it's very inexpensive, and is matched well to this engine. Have had good luck using this oil in my drag cars and will consider it. Have also had real good luck and finished lots of long races with Castrol.

I do my best not to leave it above 5K in the interest of saving the motor but 3-4K sustained during races conditions is normal.

Then I have no idea why you're running race fuel, let alone leaded. Get high octane/premium pump gas from a top station (Shell, Chevron, Texaco).
For those prolonged wide open stretches over dry lake beds where you can pin it. This motor is tuned for pump gas but I add it for insurance. That and a little race gas helps the fuel bladder live longer.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
What kind of oil filter are you running? A Wix racing filter https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-51515r/overview/

Also, hot oil pressure (assuming stock pump) will give you a good idea about how much wear you're equivalent too. Usually by 200,000 miles the LS engines are running about 20-24 psi at hot idle, with 5w30 oil.
that is about where we are, maybe more like 30 psi. When I get on the gas I see 50-60 psi.

Correction am using Castrol GTX 20w50.

How the heck did it it get down to 11.6 ? And only 150 miles.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Usually by 200,000 miles the LS engines are running about 20-24 psi at hot idle, with 5w30 oil.

My Buick runs 39-42 psi at hot idle and it's only a 205 horse motor.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Popsy
Maybe try another oil ?

You think ? ! ! ?

Not sure how to interpret your post. At the time I posted, oil was assumed to be Castrol GTX 10W40, so, yes, there are better 10W40 around here.
Now that we know it was GTX 20W50, maybe there's still other oils more susceptible to "resist", don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back