Re-torquing wheels on the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today I had my wheels balanced at Belle Tire. Supposedly they torque each wheel down, but as a member of BITOG, I'm obligated to trust no shops. So I always re-torque my wheels at home. My standard practice is to usually just break the lug nuts free while the vehicle is on the ground (maybe 1/2 turn or so) and then torque them to spec. Any issues with doing this? My van is a bear to jack up, so I avoid doing it at all costs.

If your wheel is hub-centric, then probably no problem at all doing as you described - re-torquing one lug nut at a time.

However, if your wheel is lug-centric, then you're probably better off jacking the wheel off the ground, loosening ALL the lug nuts and re-torquing in the standard criss-cross pattern.

HTH

I've done it before, but I loosen just one lug nut and re-torque it, then loosen the next nut and re-torque it, and so on. This ensures the other lug nuts are holding the wheel in place and the wheel stays seated where it should be.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've done it before, but I loosen just one lug nut and re-torque it, then loosen the next nut and re-torque it, and so on. This ensures the other lug nuts are holding the wheel in place and the wheel stays seated where it should be.

+1 This is what I do whenever somebody besides me takes off the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back