Great tire buying experience (Discount Tire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I purchased a new set of tires of my Camry. I did not see the point in spending the money on the Michelins for an older vehicle. So I went with the General Altimax RT43. Discount Tire was my place of choice. They didn't have the Generals in stock, but ordered them yesterday and they arrived this morning. I set up an appointment for this afternoon and the tires were on in 30 minutes. The customer service was stellar and they were very efficient. Plus the prices were outstanding for what you get. I think they have a new life long customer. I highly recommend you all to check them out if they are near by. Figured I would let you all know in case you are in the market!

General Altima RT43, the official tire of BITOG. I've dealt with Discount Tire and it's location location location. The Lewis Center, Oh store does a better job than the near ghetto located Brice rd store in the Columbus area in my experience.

Thats great but are they all like that?
I get my tires from a wholesale distributor and get them mounted at my friends gas station.

From the reviews on here, I will say they are consistent. But that is a good point, I can't guarantee anything. But, experience is key to almost everything.
smile.gif

The reason why I went with the Generals is because the Michelin Harmonys were HORRIBLE in wet conditions. I couldn't handle it again. The Generals seem to be better in that regard. However, I will be the true test. They also are supposed to be great in snow. Being in college and commuting, I can't miss class due to snow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Thats great but are they all like that?
I get my tires from a wholesale distributor and get them mounted at my friends gas station.

I can't say they are ALL like that, but that seems to be the norm. One mechanic I went to described America's Tire (Discount tire in our neck of the woods) as Starbucks for men. The folks are very polite, easy to deal with, give you quick service, and good prices. OK maybe Starbucks doesn't give good prices.

I've used Discount here in the Dallas area for about 25 years. I wouldn't go anywhere else, mainly because of their service when you destroy a tire or their adjustment if a tire doesn't meet the mileage warranty.

I like how the OP had to give a reason(s) for NOT BUYING the Michelins.

You didn't buy the BITOG holy grail of tires for an older car. Makes sense to me. The only difference is I would have said...."I bought these tires because they were reasonably priced for older car". Period.

Good luck with your tire purchase.

Last edited:
I have them on my Camry too. A little noisy on pavement that isn't perfectly smooth but they're decent and smooth.

I'll try a different tire next time

I haven't been there for awhile, but they are pretty competitive and pretty consistent.

I don't know if it's true anymore, but in the past they had enough marketing clout to have major manufacturers specially make schlock tires just for Discount Tire. So the unsuspecting consumer would see a low price on "Goodyear Whatsis" tires and assume he was getting a brand name tire when he really wasn't.

I was always slightly amused by their house brand tire "The Arizonian". People from Arizona call themselves " Arizonans ".

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I haven't been there for awhile, but they are pretty competitive and pretty consistent.

I don't know if it's true anymore, but in the past they had enough marketing clout to have major manufacturers specially make schlock tires just for Discount Tire. So the unsuspecting consumer would see a low price on "Goodyear Whatsis" tires and assume he was getting a brand name tire when he really wasn't.

I was always slightly amused by their house brand tire "The Arizonian". People from Arizona call themselves " Arizonans ".

The last time somebody mentioned the Arizonian tire-they said they were not any good. I then looked up the specs and the tread wear was like 650 with respectable letter ratings elsewhere. Private label doesn't equate to junk necessarily.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
Today I purchased a new set of tires of my Camry. I did not see the point in spending the money on the Michelins for an older vehicle. So I went with the General Altimax RT43. Discount Tire was my place of choice. They didn't have the Generals in stock, but ordered them yesterday and they arrived this morning. I set up an appointment for this afternoon and the tires were on in 30 minutes. The customer service was stellar and they were very efficient. Plus the prices were outstanding for what you get. I think they have a new life long customer. I highly recommend you all to check them out if they are near by. Figured I would let you all know in case you are in the market!

General Altimax RT43 is a good tire for the money, I don't dispute this claim.

Discount Tire(America's Tire in So Cal) stores are mostly staffed with pretty good people, their services are hard to beat.

But I think you missed 1 importance fact: Big sale on major holidays.

Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct usually have several big sales a year. Depends on tire quality/price you can get up to $100 rebate for a set of 4, also using their credit card will get you $60. Combine these rebates with manufacture rebate you may be able to get back more than $200 for a set of 4.

I bought a set of tire for 2006 Volvo V70 on Memorial Day weekend, I save $195 of $390 total so my net cost was $195 installed 4 Kumho Solus TA 71 in size 205/60-16.

One last thing, Discount Tire price matches online price, I got the lowest price online and had they matched it at time I ordered the tire.

I have bought just about all the tires for my family at Discount tires for 25 years and have always been well taken care of.
I did venture off to Big O tires once about 5 years ago and bought tires.
The first time I took it in for the free rotation they tried to sell me every service they could think of.
The next rotation was done by Discount for free with no problems.

I've had the RT43 V rated on a 3.0L Accord for about 8000 miles now, also purchased at DT. Thus far they compare very favorably with the Primacy MXV4s they replaced, which was a very good tire. Time will tell about tread wear, but thus far seems good.

For some reason, the RT43's don't seem to be a listed/stocked tire at DT/DTD. They ordered mine too, had them in a day or two with similar installation experience which I've found to be typical. Just wish DT/DTD would make them one their stock/listed choices as it would make them eligible for the DT/DTD holiday and DT/DTD CC promo rebates.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I've had the RT43 V rated on a 3.0L Accord for about 8000 miles now, also purchased at DT. Thus far they compare very favorably with the Primacy MXV4s they replaced, which was a very good tire. Time will tell about tread wear, but thus far seems good.

For some reason, the RT43's don't seem to be a listed/stocked tire at DT/DTD. They ordered mine too, had them in a day or two with similar installation experience which I've found to be typical. Just wish DT/DTD would make them one their stock/listed choices as it would make them eligible for the DT/DTD holiday and DT/DTD CC promo rebates.

I bought Kumho Solus TA71 205/60-16 for my daughter Volvo V70 last Memorial Day weekend. This tire wasn't listed on DT/AT website(it states something like "Not Available, call your local store"), I ordered it few days before rebate period of 2 days Friday and Saturday, then had it installed on Friday. I went ahead submitted rebate online, they approved within 3-4 days and mailed the debit cards in less than 4 weeks.

You should submit rebate online if it is still within time frame.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I have bought just about all the tires for my family at Discount tires for 25 years and have always been well taken care of.
I did venture off to Big O tires once about 5 years ago and bought tires.
The first time I took it in for the free rotation they tried to sell me every service they could think of.
The next rotation was done by Discount for free with no problems.

I had Big O tires flyer almost every week with other junk mails. Most of the time they had some good sales but I didn't want to take chance. With excellent customer service and good price why go elsewhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back